The Student Room Group

A level biology synaptic transmission

Hi, I'm a bit confused about what happens to the neurotransmitter.

Is neurotransmitter remaining in the synaptic cleft only broken down and moved into the presynaptic neurone once action potentials have stopped arriving altogether (no nerve impulse being transported), or is it removed after each individual action potential of an impulse has arrived and been re-established in the postsynaptic neurone to keep all the action potentials separate? Otherwise wouldn't they all just merge together?

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Mavs04
Hi, I'm a bit confused about what happens to the neurotransmitter.

Is neurotransmitter remaining in the synaptic cleft only broken down and moved into the presynaptic neurone once action potentials have stopped arriving altogether (no nerve impulse being transported), or is it removed after each individual action potential of an impulse has arrived and been re-established in the postsynaptic neurone to keep all the action potentials separate? Otherwise wouldn't they all just merge together?

Thanks! :smile:

2nd I believe, otherwise the action potentials will be constant, which is what happens when you get tasered
The neurotransmitters link with the receptor sides of the ion channels to open them, so it is possible that a nerve impulse in form of an action potential overcomes the synaptic cleft to reach another synapse of a neuron to transmit. That goes on until the channels are closed. That will happen when the link between the receptors and the neurotransmitters are stopped.

Hope I could help you with my answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending