The Student Room Group

AS Level French

Is AS Level French worth it? I have started to think about it as a 4th, I have already picked 3 subjects that have no overlap with French however I do GCSE French and am predicted a 9 and I really enjoy it and have for many years. I am not too sure how to go about this, does anyone have any suggestions or has/is doing A-Level French and know any more information that might help? Thanks.
Why do you want to do AS French - or a 4th A level - ie. why do you need a qualification in French...?
Original post by maria:o
Is AS Level French worth it? I have started to think about it as a 4th, I have already picked 3 subjects that have no overlap with French however I do GCSE French and am predicted a 9 and I really enjoy it and have for many years. I am not too sure how to go about this, does anyone have any suggestions or has/is doing A-Level French and know any more information that might help? Thanks.

The AS content has to be known for the A-Level examinations too. So you're better off doing the A-Level in French most probably with AQA. :smile:

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/french/specifications/AQA-7652-SP-2016.PDF

There is a Listening, Reading and Writing exam worth 50% of the marks of the entire A-Level and lasts 2 hours and 30 minutes.

There is a Writing paper where you have to do 2 novels or 1 novel and 1 film. I chose to do: L’étranger novel and the La Haine film. :wink: You have to write approximately 300 words for each question of which there is one on each of your chosen novels and/or film. The exam is 2 hours long so you have 1 hour per essay. This component is worth 20% of your overall grade.

The third paper is an Individual Research Project on a topic of your choice. Also a Speaking Oral exam with a Visiting Examiner from the AQA exam board. This component is worth 30% of your overall A-Level grade.

It is well worth studying A-Level French even as a Private Candidate using textbooks and the internet online resources. You can register for the oral speaking exam and written papers at Campbell Harris College in Kensington, London. It is just a short walk from High Street Kensington tube station.

https://www.campbellharris.co.uk/how-to-register
Reply 3
I think taking a language to AS level for interest and enjoyment (though that's not to say it will be easy) is a great idea. It gives a bit of breath to your subjects and having the focus of taking exams keeps you on track working - but you shouldn't do it if its going to affect the 3 A level grades you'd need for university.

Are you thinking of doing this at school? It would be hard to self teach, though if you do AQA is the most popular board https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/languages/as-and-a-level/french-7651
Reply 4
Original post by EOData
I think taking a language to AS level for interest and enjoyment (though that's not to say it will be easy) is a great idea. It gives a bit of breath to your subjects and having the focus of taking exams keeps you on track working - but you shouldn't do it if its going to affect the 3 A level grades you'd need for university.

Are you thinking of doing this at school? It would be hard to self teach, though if you do AQA is the most popular board https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/languages/as-and-a-level/french-7651

thanks, the problem is I dont know how stressful a-levels are going to be as 1 of the options i picked is very easy for me and 1 is very hard and the other 1 is in the middle, so im thinking that i can split my possible time with the easy a level option and do as level french.
Reply 5
Original post by thegeek888
The AS content has to be known for the A-Level examinations too. So you're better off doing the A-Level in French most probably with AQA. :smile:

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/french/specifications/AQA-7652-SP-2016.PDF

There is a Listening, Reading and Writing exam worth 50% of the marks of the entire A-Level and lasts 2 hours and 30 minutes.

There is a Writing paper where you have to do 2 novels or 1 novel and 1 film. I chose to do: L’étranger novel and the La Haine film. :wink: You have to write approximately 300 words for each question of which there is one on each of your chosen novels and/or film. The exam is 2 hours long so you have 1 hour per essay. This component is worth 20% of your overall grade.

The third paper is an Individual Research Project on a topic of your choice. Also a Speaking Oral exam with a Visiting Examiner from the AQA exam board. This component is worth 30% of your overall A-Level grade.

It is well worth studying A-Level French even as a Private Candidate using textbooks and the internet online resources. You can register for the oral speaking exam and written papers at Campbell Harris College in Kensington, London. It is just a short walk from High Street Kensington tube station.

https://www.campbellharris.co.uk/how-to-register

thanks for the private candidate suggestion i think im leaning more towards that
thanks for the private candidate suggestion i think im leaning more towards that

There is a greater emphasis on grammar at AS and A-Level as well as remembering about 2,000 words altogether. :smile: lol But you can't be lazy, only by learning everyday, can you achieve an A* or A grade. :wink: PM me for the textbooks, I have about 6 eBooks. :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)

I was in the same boat as you, I wasn't sure about French AS level - I was good at it at GCSE (100% in some of the exams) but I was worried about it being stressful. Anyway I went for it and did AS French, then French at A level. It was my lowest A level (I got AAB) and I found History and English easier. But I ended up doing a degree in French, moved to France for a few years, worked three jobs in three different places in France, then with the confidence skills and experience I gained I moved to Spain and lived there for a few years too. There is no way I would be who I am if I didn't do French. It has been my most useful A level because it gives you lots of transferable skills and lots of confidence. And if you hate it you can always drop it. But if you're good at it, then you will do fine. English students who have studied a language are uncommon, I've found it's helped me to stand out in job applications.
Reply 8

If you can go to lessons for free and then not pay to do the exam, do that. Teaching yourself and then paying to do the exams is a much worse idea.
Original post by EOData
If you can go to lessons for free and then not pay to do the exam, do that. Teaching yourself and then paying to do the exams is a much worse idea.

The grade boundaries are not high for languages: it was 66% for an A grade in French in November 2021 and 75% for an A* grade. So French A-Level is very achievable with effort.

There are a lot of resources online and the textbooks for AQA are excellent, so please don't discourage Maria.
Reply 11
Original post by thegeek888
The grade boundaries are not high for languages: it was 66% for an A grade in French in November 2021 and 75% for an A* grade. So French A-Level is very achievable with effort.

There are a lot of resources online and the textbooks for AQA are excellent, so please don't discourage Maria.

Where was I saying don't do French? It just makes a whole lot more sense to attend lessons at her school if that's an option rather than do it as a private candidate.
Original post by EOData
Where was I saying don't do French? It just makes a whole lot more sense to attend lessons at her school if that's an option rather than do it as a private candidate.

There is hardly any content in A-Level French, German and Spanish, and the topics are the same, so it seems like doing 2 A-Levels instead of 3 A-Levels. :biggrin: lol

Maria should do A-Level French as she has a good brain to handle the complex vocabulary and grammar of French. :wink:

My apologies Sir, for mistaking your words. Please forgive me. :smile:
An AQA A-Level French course for free online. :smile: https://app.senecalearning.com/
(edited 2 years ago)
If you need a book to help you, I suggest C'est facile! French A level Exam made easy, it's only 7 pounds.
Reply 15
Original post by Le Comte de Zian
If you need a book to help you, I suggest C'est facile! French A level Exam made easy, it's only 7 pounds.

Quick Reply

Latest