The Student Room Group

Undergraduate Biochemistry Applicants 2022

(hopefully this thread does not flop, if it somehow does then i didn't make this.)

hey so i haven't actually met many people that have applied for biochemistry yet so i made this thread so people who are applying or have offers can talk to each other or something and meet people that have applied to the same places as them!!?!?!1

i have applied to:

warwick - biochemistry with placement year
manchester - biochemistry with industrial/professional experience

and i have offers from:

aston - biochemistry
nottingham - biochemistry
birmingham - chemistry with foundation year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eternaldevotiion
(hopefully this thread does not flop, if it somehow does then i didn't make this.)

hey so i haven't actually met many people that have applied for biochemistry yet so i made this thread so people who are applying or have offers can talk to each other or something and meet people that have applied to the same places as them!!?!?!1

i have applied to:

and i have offers from:

aston - biochemistry

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year student at the uni of Nottingham, Although I don't study biochemistry, in my first year of my natural sciences degree I studied both biology and chemistry and had most of my labs with biochem students.

If you have nay questions about Nottingham, living here, the course, the city etc then just let me know and I'd be happy to help,
Emily :smile:
Original post by EmilyClarke24
Hey,

I am a current 3rd year student at the uni of Nottingham, Although I don't study biochemistry, in my first year of my natural sciences degree I studied both biology and chemistry and had most of my labs with biochem students.

If you have nay questions about Nottingham, living here, the course, the city etc then just let me know and I'd be happy to help,

thank you! what would you say would be the pros and cons about nottingham: the city, the uni and the biology and chemistry taught?
Hey,

Congratulations on your offer!

I'm an international applicant and I have applied to:
Imperial London university - biochemistry
Queen Mary University of London - biochemistry
University of Birmingham - biochemistry
University of Manchester - biochemistry
University of Bath - biochemistry

I have applied on 25th Jan and I haven't received any offers yet. Should I be worried?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ariarooney
Hey,

I have applied on 25th Jan and I haven't received any offers yet. Should I be worried?

definitely don’t be worried!! i know people that applied in like october and still not heard back from some. just be patient i’m sure they will get back to you soon they’re just really busy and have a lot of applicants to look at :smile:

i have applied to:

and i have offers from:

aston - biochemistry

hi omg congratulations on your offers!!

i’m an international student and i applied to ucl, imperial, kings and st. andrews. i’ve received offers from ucl and st. andrews but waiting for imperial now ahhhhh. i applied around 15 nov. do you have any idea if imperial has started rolling it’s admissions for biochem?
thank you! what would you say would be the pros and cons about nottingham: the city, the uni and the biology and chemistry taught?

Hey,

The city really surprised me. I had never heard much about it before moving here but there is always something going on. Alongside clubs at the university, there is loads of different local sports clubs that always welcome students, the music scene is great with loads of different venues of different sizes (bodega, rescue rooms, rock city and the motor point area to name a few), lots of independent restaurants and cafes alongside the chains, and a wide variety of bars and clubs if you enjoy going out. The castle and the caves are also really cool and students get discounted tickets too!

I personally like that the uni is a campus based uni. The campus is really green and has loads of spaces inside and outside to work if you are bored of the libraries. The libraries are spaced out across campus so wherever you are you won't be too far away from a library. If you are into your sports there is a really nice sports centre, with courts for every racket sport that you can book out, a swimming pool, a climbing wall, alongside the big gym. There is a load of sports clubs to try out and they all hold taster sessions so you can try them out for free. There is also a massive list of societies, some of which I had never heard of, that you can get involved in. I will leave the link below so you can have a look through them. The uni is also close to town and there is a tram and lots of public busses, that run into the night, running from campus into town so its always easy to get in and out.

https://su.nottingham.ac.uk/activities/list/up/societies

Nottingham is well known for it's research and a big plus of that is that the labs are of a really high quality. In first year the labs are mainly there to get you used to using the equipment and to level everyone out. Saying this, you do still make some really cool things (in one of my first labs I made paracetamol) and they will still challenge you but they are not as big and scary as they first seem. The biology modules I took in first year were an extension of A level, again to level everyone out. From there in both biology and chemistry, Nottingham has a wide range of modules that you can pick from. You might be more interested in organic chemistry and in that case there will be modules in organic that may suit you better than others. There is quite a lot of flexibility, so alongside any compulsory modules, you can pick what you want. There is also the ability to take a certain amount of credits in an different area, for example a language or arts module.

I hope this helps,
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by suhanii07

i’m an international student and i applied to ucl, imperial, kings and st. andrews. i’ve received offers from ucl and st. andrews but waiting for imperial now ahhhhh. i applied around 15 nov. do you have any idea if imperial has started rolling it’s admissions for biochem?

hey congrats on your offers too!! i am not sure since i haven’t applied to imperial and dont know anyone whos applied to biochem there but i should think it’d be soon when you’d hear back from there, dont worry :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by suhanii07

Hey have u heard anything yet? i got mine from Imperial a while ago but KCL is taking forever :/
hey everyone
i applied for biochemistry at
- newcastle (offer received)
- nottingham (offer received)
- queens belfast (offer received)
- leeds (offer received)
- exeter (still waiting)

just wanted to know if anyone is applying to the same places as me. :smile:
good luck with all your offers!
Original post by Lolagcb17
hey everyone
i applied for biochemistry at
- newcastle (offer received)
- nottingham (offer received)
- queens belfast (offer received)
- leeds (offer received)
- exeter (still waiting)

just wanted to know if anyone is applying to the same places as me. :smile:
good luck with all your offers!

i also have an offer for nottingham biochem!! :smile:

i have applied to:

and i have offers from:

aston - biochemistry

congrats on your offers!!!
have you heard anything from warwick?? I applied for the same course but haven’t heard anything from them yet 😁
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ANONYMOUS897911
congrats on your offers!!!
have you heard anything from warwick?? I applied for the same course but haven’t heard anything from them yet 😁

no i havent heard anything from them yet… hopefully its not too long before we do though!! : )
Hi I’ve got offers from UCL (biochemistry) and Warwick (biochemistry with placement) and I’m trying to choose between them rn lol

my applications:
Imperial (unsuccessful! :P)
UCL (offer)
KCL (still waiting)
Warwick (offer)
RHUL (offer)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi everyone. I’ve applied to:
Bristol- biochemistry (offer)
Leeds- biochemistry (offer)
Bath- biochemistry with industrial placement (offer)
Southampton- biochemistry (offer)
aston- biochemistry (offer)
I’m currently trying to decide between bristol and leeds
Hi, I applied to:
Imperial (offer)
UCL (rejection) :frown:
KCL (offer)
Queen Mary (offer)
Westminster (offer)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ariarooney
Hey,

Congratulations to everyone! Just wanted to give an update
Imperial - unsuccessful
queen mary - offer
birmingham - offer
manchester - offer
bath - offer

I have decided to firm manchester.
Hey everyone! I'm an international student and I've also applied to study Biochem.

I've received an offer from
UCL
Bristol - Biochemistry with Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Bath
Birmingham

I'm still waiting for KCL to respond.

I'd love to connect with people who will be doing the same degree so feel free to pm me!
Original post by rachelvu
Hey everyone! I'm an international student and I've also applied to study Biochem.

I've received an offer from
UCL
Bristol - Biochemistry with Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Bath
Birmingham

I'm still waiting for KCL to respond.

I'd love to connect with people who will be doing the same degree so feel free to pm me!

Hey I've also applied to Bath for biochemistry and have now firmed it! Which is your top choice?
Original post by sunny225
Hey I've also applied to Bath for biochemistry and have now firmed it! Which is your top choice?

I'm considering between Bristol and UCL for my firm choice. I have also put Birmingham as my insurance. Any advice on which one I should firm?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending