The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking A Level media after BTEC media

I am currently on a BTEC media level 3 course and I'm wanting to take A Levels after it but it's all coursework and I'm thinking for me to be taken seriously at uni I'd have to do A Level Media as it is more exam based than coursework, 60:40 or 70:30 type thing. Someone please help
Original post by milliewignall_
I am currently on a BTEC media level 3 course and I'm wanting to take A Levels after it but it's all coursework and I'm thinking for me to be taken seriously at uni I'd have to do A Level Media as it is more exam based than coursework, 60:40 or 70:30 type thing. Someone please help

Doing a BTEC doesn't make you less likely to get accepted to uni compared to someone doing A-levels. If you do a BTEC Extended Diploma in Media, the course is worth 3 A-levels on its own which can get you into uni.
BTECs give a more vocational approach to a subject compared to GCSEs and A-levels and you also get the chance to build a portfolio from your coursework. My advice is to stick with BTEC unless you're unhappy going it.

Hi :smile:

It depends based on each uni, if the entry requirements state that you need A-Level media then you would need to study A-Levels. However, in most university's BTEC Level 3 is viewed as an A-Level equivalent so you won't be at any disadvantage.

What course are you looking to study at university? Is it a Media based course?

Laura :rave:
BTECS are literally overpowered at the moment

Virtually all universities accept them, even the Russel group ones and unless you are applying to a scientific course (which requires specific A-Levels like chem) or medicine then they literally do not mind. A lot of university courses that link to media are basically entirely or mostly coursework anyways so I would argue that a BTEC would be more helpful if you were planning to go in that direction.
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi :smile:

It depends based on each uni, if the entry requirements state that you need A-Level media then you would need to study A-Levels. However, in most university's BTEC Level 3 is viewed as an A-Level equivalent so you won't be at any disadvantage.

What course are you looking to study at university? Is it a Media based course?

Hi Laura thank you so much for the reply,
I am wanting to do something within the journalism sector. To do this I have been told of my college I need to (realistically) do A Levels, so these would be A Level English Language and another two, that's why I'm asking about A Level Media as they do more essays/exams than what I do now as it is 100% coursework.
Many thanks ,
Millie
Hi Laura thank you so much for the reply,
I am wanting to do something within the journalism sector. To do this I have been told of my college I need to (realistically) do A Levels, so these would be A Level English Language and another two, that's why I'm asking about A Level Media as they do more essays/exams than what I do now as it is 100% coursework.
Many thanks ,
Millie

Hi Millie :smile:

Are you currently studying for an Extended Diploma? If so, this is equivalent to 3 A-Levels which means you would not need to study any more A-Levels. For example, at Liverpool Hope our standard entry requirements for BTEC's is DMM. With this qualification, you can apply straight to university. There is no difference between A-Level and BTEC in the eyes of admissions and taking an extra A-Level would just delay you.

If you are studying for a BTEC that is equivalent to one A-Level, you would need to take either 2 more A-Levels or 2 more BTEC's. In this case, it would be not useful to make one of those choices Media as both BTEC and A-Level are seen as the exact same.

I hope this makes sense.

Laura:rave:
Hiya Laura,
Mine is an extended diploma.
However because of writing essays and me not doing my GCSE'S properly because of the impact of COVID I just thought that doing A Levels would help boost me up a bit, so did my careers adviser.
Hiya Laura,
Mine is an extended diploma.
However because of writing essays and me not doing my GCSE'S properly because of the impact of COVID I just thought that doing A Levels would help boost me up a bit, so did my careers adviser.

Hi Millie!

It really is up to you however, I would say that in terms of university entry requirements it would make no difference. However, if you feel that you're not prepared for university yet by all means you can pursue A-Levels.

If you need any more help, just let me know!

Quick Reply

Latest