The Student Room Group

should i take 5 alevels for medical school ? (well4.5)

i am year 11 choosing my alevels and i want to study medicine in the top universities.
i have chosen bio, chem, ancient history and pyschology and CORE MATHS

my question is if i take these will they increase my chances and does CORE MATHS matter ? i realise that pyschology is one of the easier alevels and the workload may not be too much, but with core maths will it help boost my chances or help with the bmats and ucats ?

thanks
Original post by zynnjah123
i am year 11 choosing my alevels and i want to study medicine in the top universities.

my question is if i take these will they increase my chances and does CORE MATHS matter ? i realise that pyschology is one of the easier alevels and the workload may not be too much, but with core maths will it help boost my chances or help with the bmats and ucats ?

thanks

No. Core maths isn't considered at all by medical schools apart from UCAS points for QMUL. Also, top universities don't exist for medicine. All medical schools are accredited by the GMC and the medical school you attend is not considered when looking for placements. Taking 4 A-levels also doesn't give you any advantage in medicine, AAA will always be better than AABB.
Reply 2
Original post by hungrysalamander
No. Core maths isn't considered at all by medical schools apart from UCAS points for QMUL. Also, top universities don't exist for medicine. All medical schools are accredited by the GMC and the medical school you attend is not considered when looking for placements. Taking 4 A-levels also doesn't give you any advantage in medicine, AAA will always be better than AABB.

thanks for the reply, by "top" i mean i want to enter unis like cambridge, exceter etc. and would it be worth it for the extra ucas points ? or would it be better if the time was spent elsewhere with work experience and curriculars
Taking five A levels is a stupid idea which will massively decrease your chances of getting in anywhere. A levels are not GCSEs but a bit harder, they have massively more content at a far harder level.

Three A levels. Three. Not four. Not five. It's quality which counts, not quantity. If you want additional mathematical content, take maths as your third A level.
You only need 3 for medicine - no point working too hard and not leaving time for ucat and work experience!

(and people may say psychology is easy, but according to my friend who does it, it is not a walk in the park. Obviously it is manageable, but don't expect it to be a breeze! :smile:)
Reply 5
Original post by skylark2
Taking five A levels is a stupid idea which will massively decrease your chances of getting in anywhere. A levels are not GCSEs but a bit harder, they have massively more content at a far harder level.

Three A levels. Three. Not four. Not five. It's quality which counts, not quantity. If you want additional mathematical content, take maths as your third A level.

thanks for the reply ! i guess i will just drop core maths when it comes to it, but again i dont think i will take maths i barely think i can get an 8 in it
thanks for the reply, by "top" i mean i want to enter unis like cambridge, exceter etc. and would it be worth it for the extra ucas points ? or would it be better if the time was spent elsewhere with work experience and curriculars

No and as I said, rankings do not matter for medicine. It's better to apply strategically based on your stats.
Reply 7

thanks

I'm a bit late but 5 A Levels is, realistically speaking, impossible to manage. And make no mistake Psychology is still a heavy workload, there are dozens of experiments/studies you need to remember the whole procedure for and the psychologists who conducted them on top of all the processes, key terms, models, explanations, and other info related to research like the advantages and disadvantages of lab experiments. (as one small example)

Maths wont matter. If you're studying for medicine i'd go for Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. There are a lot of links in Psychology to medicine, such as treatments for depression, OCD and Schizophrenia if you chose the optional module etc.... I'm also doing ancient history for OCR and i love it, especially after the exam yesterday. It's a lot to revise but the exams aren't so heavy, they give you the option between two essays for each section so you can just write about the topic you feel more confident in. But if you're 100% sure you want to go into medicine then i'd go with Bio, Chem and Psych.
(edited 1 year ago)

thanks

i'm doing 3.5 a-levels, including core maths, and i wouldn't recommend doing more than that.
taking too many a-levels will just mean that all of them get lower grades, which will actually make it harder for you in the long run. if you look at most med school requirements, all they ask for is 3 really good a-levels, so i would aim for that instead of 4.5 meh a-levels
Reply 9
Original post by solasis
I'm a bit late but 5 A Levels is, realistically speaking, impossible to manage. And make no mistake Psychology is still a heavy workload, there are dozens of experiments/studies you need to remember the whole procedure for and the psychologists who conducted them on top of all the processes, key terms, models, explanations, and other info related to research like the advantages and disadvantages of lab experiments. (as one small example)

Maths wont matter. If you're studying for medicine i'd go for Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. There are a lot of links in Psychology to medicine, such as treatments for depression, OCD and Schizophrenia if you chose the optional module etc.... I'm also doing ancient history for OCR and i love it, especially after the exam yesterday. It's a lot to revise but the exams aren't so heavy, they give you the option between two essays for each section so you can just write about the topic you feel more confident in. But if you're 100% sure you want to go into medicine then i'd go with Bio, Chem and Psych.

thanks so much for your reply. yea i think what i have chosen so far is best and i will drop one alevel depending on which one i feel i can do better at. core maths apparently can help with ucat and i will see how i can manage it. ive seen some people do 4 alevels and get all a* so imma see how they did it too. but for now i gotta focus on gcses i got chem paper 1 tomrow !!!

thanks

Core maths is the stupidest thing to take for medical school, just take regular A Level maths as that is considered instead.
Why exactly are you taking ancient history? it's not needed.
(Original post by METRIX64)Core maths is the stupidest thing to take for medical school, just take regular A Level maths as that is considered instead.
Why exactly are you taking ancient history? it's not needed.

sure, look i dont enjoy maths enough at this point for me to do it at alevel. so ive chosen ancient history and psychology. my way of thinking is that im not confident enough to do maths alevel so i will do it at core maths level. then im not sure what to pick between psychology and ancient history so imma see how it is next year and then drop one depending on which one i feel i could get a better grade in. from your knowledge even if there is a small chance of having a better chance by choosing more than 3 alevels pls tell me. i really want to try and go to ucl in london and ive heard that it is rather hard to get into.

sure ancient history is not needed but according to my teachers not many schools have the resources or teachers to do it so its an opportunity. also the level of content doesnt actually look too bad compared to like history. ive seen the content and its decent plus since its such a traditional subject ive been told its more impressive to get a a* in for example. psychology ive heard is considered a weak a level and since most applicants do chem bio and maths possibly a psychology alevel isnt as impressive.

however this is what i think is true and if im wrong please correct me.
Yeah should take
For Cambridge University, you need 3 A-Levels from Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Also, the vast majority of applicants to Oxford University last year, had Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Quick Reply

Latest