The Student Room Group

A Level Advice

Hi! I'm new on here and I'm in Year 12 A levels studying the following courses: Biology, Psychology and Criminology.
Anyone who has done these subjects, or are currently doing them, could you leave some advice on how you revise and prepare for your exams and keep on top of it all?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi I’m in yr13 and am doing bio and psych. I’d say
- make your revision notes as you go along
- make sure you go out of the class understanding the lesson, if you don’t understand something ask the teacher to clarify areas that you are unsure of
- do lots of exam practice to build your exam technique. When you mark a question look at the markscheme and the terminology is used, how the question has been answered because most of the exam questions on a particular topic have similar marking points
- use you specification, use it as a checklist to ensure you understand and have learnt the content that is required

Good websites for exam qs and YouTube channels:
Physics and maths tutor, Maths made easy, miss estruch, tailored tutors (have some free videos on YouTube channel), simply psychology, aqa website, BioRach, Vanessa Christian

Hope it helps and good luck :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by N_Sh
Hi I’m in yr13 and am doing bio and psych. I’d say
- make your revision notes as you go along
- make sure you go out of the class understanding the lesson, if you don’t understand something ask the teacher to clarify areas that you are unsure of
- do lots of exam practice to build your exam technique. When you mark a question look at the markscheme and the terminology is used, how the question has been answered because most of the exam questions on a particular topic have similar marking points
- use you specification, use it as a checklist to ensure you understand and have learnt the content that is required

Good websites for exam qs and YouTube channels:
Physics and maths tutor, Maths made easy, miss estruch, tailored tutors (have some free videos on YouTube channel), simply psychology, aqa website, BioRach, Vanessa Christian

Hope it helps and good luck :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Test yourself on biology definitions/topics using Quizlet sets. If you search, there will be some good ones.
Original post by booklover1313
Test yourself on biology definitions/topics using Quizlet sets. If you search, there will be some good ones.

Thank you :smile:
I did my A levels last year and my main psychology (some may be specific to AQA) tips would be:
- practice lots of essays and ask your teacher to mark them
- quizlets (I did one card for the outline and another for evaluations)
- use quizlets to learn biopsychology content
- create pneumonics to remember the characteristics of each stats test
- use past papers practice the different style of questioning in research methods
- create flashcards/mind maps on areas you're less confident on

Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have
Original post by SB1234567890
I did my A levels last year and my main psychology (some may be specific to AQA) tips would be:
- practice lots of essays and ask your teacher to mark them
- quizlets (I did one card for the outline and another for evaluations)
- use quizlets to learn biopsychology content
- create pneumonics to remember the characteristics of each stats test
- use past papers practice the different style of questioning in research methods
- create flashcards/mind maps on areas you're less confident on

Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have

Hi, thank you so much! Biopsychology does seem to be my worst topic so far. Were there any specific methods you used to remember the different evaluation points for each topic? :smile:
Original post by CoconutCulet
Hi, thank you so much! Biopsychology does seem to be my worst topic so far. Were there any specific methods you used to remember the different evaluation points for each topic? :smile:

I mainly used quizlets though it may also help create a flashcard for each essay, with the key words for each paragraph

Quick Reply

Latest