The Student Room Group

Gcse options

Hi everyone i need to submit my gcse options today and i need help deciding between history and geography. I definitely want to do spanish and business (probably) and put either drama or music as 5th but i dont know which humanity to put in my top 3 and which one as 4th please help me quickly!!!!!
Personally I chose history and I do really enjoy it. What exam board is it or do you not know? When I was choosing a teacher said if you prefer English do history and if you prefer maths do geography which I thought was good advice. I'm in year 11 atm and think history is relatively easy to get a good grade in. In my last assessment i got 37/44 which is a 9. The grade boundaries are great aswell. In my last mock I got 29/40 which was 3 marks off a 9.
They are both Aqa: History is Germany 1890 to 1945, the cold war, mecidine and the elizabethan and geography is physical, natural and geography fieldwork i think.
Original post by chloe257
Personally I chose history and I do really enjoy it. What exam board is it or do you not know? When I was choosing a teacher said if you prefer English do history and if you prefer maths do geography which I thought was good advice. I'm in year 11 atm and think history is relatively easy to get a good grade in. In my last assessment i got 37/44 which is a 9. The grade boundaries are great aswell. In my last mock I got 29/40 which was 3 marks off a 9.

They are both Aqa: History is Germany 1890 to 1945, the cold war, mecidine and the elizabethan and geography is physical, natural and geography fieldwork i think.
I did both for GCSE. History is much more interesting and helps you improve your essay writing skills, which will be useful for A-level and uni.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ryokeichi
I did both for GCSE. History is much more interesting and helps you improve your essay writing skills, which will be useful for A-level and uni.

hii again im just not sure about the content for history. Im just not very sure if i wanted to learn about Germany. And also, i feel like I can learn the content much easier if I pick geography. Not that it is easier, that I can learn the content easier. But at the same time, I can think of points quickly and could do really well at gcse history. Do you think I should put geo 3 and his 4 so then whatever I get it will be for me. So:
1 Spanish
2 Business
3 Geography
4 History
5 Drama
??
Original post by anonymouspersonp
hii again im just not sure about the content for history. Im just not very sure if i wanted to learn about Germany. And also, i feel like I can learn the content much easier if I pick geography. Not that it is easier, that I can learn the content easier. But at the same time, I can think of points quickly and could do really well at gcse history. Do you think I should put geo 3 and his 4 so then whatever I get it will be for me. So:
1 Spanish
2 Business
3 Geography
4 History
5 Drama
??

In my last bfls I got both grade 8s for his+geo, 7 for business and 7 for spanish but i dont want to do both his+geo because I feel like it could be a lot of work. But then also, I could always learn one of them at home so then I will have the back ground information from his gcse or geo gcse??
1 Spanish
2 Business
3 Geography
4 History
5 Drama
??

I didn't think I would enjoy Germany but its actually been my favourite topic that I do so it might surprise you!
I didn't think I would enjoy Germany but its actually been my favourite topic that I do so it might surprise you!

But do you think I should pick geo 3 and his 4 so whatever i get it will be chosen for me- however there will be a much greater chance of me getting geo than history- what is his+geo like at gcse? (please reply as soon as you see it since I literally have no time :smile:
I haven't done history + geography at GCSE however my best friend has and his favourite pre GCSE was geography however he hates GCSE geography and says its totally different. History is now his favourite subject. If you can remember a lot of dates and don't might writing a lot I would definitely say put history 3rd and geography 4th but that's just me.
I generally find people find history to be more interesting. I had the same dilemma but I enjoyed the subjects around the same, so I picked geography because it's generally easier, so If you don't really mind, I would suggest pick geography because if you focus a decent amount it's basically a free grade. Also the subjects for geography vary, but there is physical and human geography. There's a lot of content but it doesn't really get harder in GCSE times I found.
He says if you wanted to do them both if that's allowed then it's not too difficult as they are really quite different subjects.
I haven't done history + geography at GCSE however my best friend has and his favourite pre GCSE was geography however he hates GCSE geography and says its totally different. History is now his favourite subject. If you can remember a lot of dates and don't might writing a lot I would definitely say put history 3rd and geography 4th but that's just me.

I like both but i really want to do spanish and business as i dont really want to do both- so what should i do? im in a huge dilemna!!
e

I like both but i really want to do spanish and business as i dont really want to do both- so what should i do? im in a huge dilemna!!

helpppp
Do what you enjoy. They really don’t matter in the bigger picture. I got a D in GCSE drama and I actually leave it off my CV as I did so poorly in it.

You can always change at the start of term if you think you have made the wrong decision.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Do what you enjoy. They really don’t matter in the bigger picture. I got a D in GCSE drama and I actually leave it off my CV as I did so poorly in it.

You can always change at the start of term if you think you have made the wrong decision.

ive put that 5th anyway but my real question is should i put geo 3 and his 4 so that whatever i get i will get, it will be fate- even though there is a greater chance of me getting geo over his?
ive put that 5th anyway but my real question is should i put geo 3 and his 4 so that whatever i get i will get, it will be fate- even though there is a greater chance of me getting geo over his?

Enjoy history more? Put history down.

Enjoy geography more? Put Geography down. Problem solved.
Put whichever you feel more interested in as option 3, which seems to be Geography. If you find out it's not what you were expecting, you can normally switch within the first two weeks of term.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest