The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

dissection or prosection?

I saw on the university website it says it offers both dissection and prosection but after talking to some med students, they say they moved from dissection to prosection- did imperial just not update their website or they haven't fully got rid of dissection or?
Original post by Yazomi
I saw on the university website it says it offers both dissection and prosection but after talking to some med students, they say they moved from dissection to prosection- did imperial just not update their website or they haven't fully got rid of dissection or?

looking on the website, they do still say they offer both but when I applied last year I was told they'd moved onto only prosection. I don't go imperial though, so it might be worth asking a 1st year imperial medic in person to see what they've been doing so far! It might also be the case that they do dissection in later years, but I'm not sure how the course is structured sorry :frown:

edit: @becausethenight!!! helped me massively w questions i had, im sure they'd be more than willing to answer your questions too
(edited 2 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
@becausethenight might be able to advise? :smile:
Let's go for the hat-trick. @becausethenight will know this. :smile:
Original post by Reality Check

omg reality check!!! havent seen you in ages!!!! how are you? i remember asking you abt medicine a few years ago!! are you a doctor btw?
Original post by Anonymous
omg reality check!!! havent seen you in ages!!!! how are you? i remember asking you abt medicine a few years ago!! are you a doctor btw?

Hello! Send me a PM - I'd love to know who is behind Anon1 :smile: (no, not a doctor: I'd be terrible at it!)
no, not a doctor: I'd be terrible at it!

Something about a bedside manner? :tongue:
Original post by artful_lounger
Something about a bedside manner? :tongue:

:laugh: you know me very well, AL - that's exactly it. If you've been watching This Is Going To Hurt, Mr Lockhart is someone I would have turned into, had I gone down a clinical route.
:laugh: you know me very well, AL - that's exactly it. If you've been watching This Is Going To Hurt, Mr Lockhart is someone I would have turned into, had I gone down a clinical route.

Yeah I think the extreme patience and serenity required to work in that profession long term is difficult to cultivate to say the least! :colondollar:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
@becausethenight might be able to advise? :smile:

Original post by hungrysalamander

Original post by aeneas_son
looking on the website, they do still say they offer both but when I applied last year I was told they'd moved onto only prosection. I don't go imperial though, so it might be worth asking a 1st year imperial medic in person to see what they've been doing so far! It might also be the case that they do dissection in later years, but I'm not sure how the course is structured sorry :frown:

edit: @becausethenight!!! helped me massively w questions i had, im sure they'd be more than willing to answer your questions too

You all blew up my notifs - I thought something was seriously wrong :lol:

Lovely to see all of you though :wink:
@aeneas_son I've not seen you for ages as well! How are you :smile:
Original post by Yazomi

It's now fully prosection and there's no dissection in the core curriculum. Personally I like that better - I quite like anatomy but the DR is one of those things that's really cool in theory but you get a bit sick of spending 3 hours in it a week pretty quickly :lol: I think Imperial manages a good balance in its anatomy teaching though and you learn what you need to without too much gratuitous ligament learning.

There is the opportunity to learn dissection in your free time with the anatomy team if you want to. One of my friends is doing this - he invited me, but I didn't really want to :tongue:
Original post by becausethenight
You all blew up my notifs - I thought something was seriously wrong :lol:

Lovely to see all of you though :wink:
@aeneas_son I've not seen you for ages as well! How are you :smile:

decided to log into tsr after ages just to see how this years applicants were doing! I'm doing well, med is tough but so so fun and im really grateful for all the support you gave me :smile: hope you're doing well too!
Original post by aeneas_son
decided to log into tsr after ages just to see how this years applicants were doing! I'm doing well, med is tough but so so fun and im really grateful for all the support you gave me :smile: hope you're doing well too!

:hugs: Year 1 med is tough - if there's anything I can do just say :wink: Glad to hear you're enjoying it too!
Year 2 is the hell year for a reson but just two more weeks til exam leave :dumbells:
Original post by becausethenight
:hugs: Year 1 med is tough - if there's anything I can do just say :wink: Glad to hear you're enjoying it too!
Year 2 is the hell year for a reson but just two more weeks til exam leave :dumbells:

you can make it, you’ve come this far!! ive heard too many horror stories about year 2 so i cant say im looking forward to it... and ofc i’ll make sure to reach out 🫂 good luck with exams :smile:

Quick Reply