The Student Room Group

Confused about my masters programme

Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well. I started looking at getting a master's degree (I wish everyone applying, all the luck). I initially considered International Development, only to find that it is a very broad degree, and that pursuing a master's degree should be more focused -**and I'd love to hear about all of your experiences in deciding on a degree. At undergraduate, I majored in media studies and international relations.

My passions include: 1. assisting women and children in their healthcare needs.
2. Female genital mutilation (FGM) - healthcare
3. Human rights

I was thinking about human rights law at the time.

Another item that has me perplexed is a position with a non-profit organization; I'm not sure what role I could play given my interests.
Reply 1
Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well. I started looking at getting a master's degree (I wish everyone applying, all the luck). I initially considered International Development, only to find that it is a very broad degree and that pursuing a master's degree should be more focused -**and I'd love to hear about all of your experiences in deciding on a degree. As an undergraduate, I majored in media studies and international relations.

My passions include: 1. assisting women and children in their healthcare needs.
2. Female genital mutilation (FGM) - healthcare
3. Human rights

I was thinking about human rights law at the time.

Another item that has me perplexed is a position with a non-profit organization; I'm not sure what role I could play given my interests.
Reply 2
Could maybe look into masters in Public health? It relates to all your interests and many people with non-science/medical backgrounds do a MPH.

I initially wanted to study medicine to become a paediatrician but after work experience in the hospital and other healthcare settings I realised I didn't want to be trapped in that environment and would rather focus on disease prevention rather than individual disease treatment so I opted for public health instead with interest in epidemiology.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Asha_'
Could maybe look into masters in Public health? It relates to all your interests and many people with non-science/medical backgrounds do a MPH.

I initially wanted to study medicine to become a paediatrician but after work experience in the hospital and other healthcare settings I realised I didn't want to be trapped in that environment and would rather focus on disease prevention rather than individual disease treatment so I opted for public health instead with interest in epidemiology.

Hey, thank you for your response, I'll definitely look into it. Thanks once again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending