The Student Room Group

A levels and Degrees for Politicans

Hello,I would like to become a politican one day and am wondering what a levels I should pick and afterwards, which degree I should be getting. I am considering going to Oxford to study PPE(Philsophy, Politics and Economics) or King's to study Politics. However, I am not sure which one is better for me.
Original post by Alice355
Hello,I would like to become a politican one day and am wondering what a levels I should pick and afterwards, which degree I should be getting. I am considering going to Oxford to study PPE(Philsophy, Politics and Economics) or King's to study Politics. However, I am not sure which one is better for me.

Which course do you like best? Do you enjoy Philisophy and Economics, as well as politics? Ultimately, you could apply to both unis in a UCAS application.
There are no specific A-levels required. Maths A-level is very helpful for PPE and most applicants have it. History, Government and Politics or any other essay-based subject is helpful for Politics and PPE. But you could throw in a science A-level if you enjoy them.
Also, why do you "want" to be a politician? I find that very concerning and I do not believe a politician should be a first career path. Also, remember that you don't "need" any specific degree to be a politician. Do what you love.
Reply 2
I think I would like a politics degree best. Additionally, I would like to become a politician later on in life, but first off would like to start a business of sorts. I don't believe that business requires any specific degree or qualifications and therefore don't want to get any for it.
I think I would like a politics degree best. Additionally, I would like to become a politician later on in life, but first off would like to start a business of sorts. I don't believe that business requires any specific degree or qualifications and therefore don't want to get any for it.

Sure but as I said you don't need a politics degree to become a politician. Study politics because you enjoy politics.
A business doesn't require any specific degree really, unless it is in a very specific industry.
Why do you want to be a politician? You are the first person I have come across to say that.
To expand on the above - a politics degree doesn't teach you to be a politician. It's the academic study of political science and comparative government, and so is not specifically aligned with the needs or wants of a policymaker. Degrees in policy (e.g. public policy, social policy, etc) would be more likely to be immediately relevant.

There are no degree requirements to be a politician - you don't even need a degree to be one. Equally you could study something else entirely; Angela Merkel studied chemistry for example.
Reply 5
Very few politicians studied Politics at University. Study whatever you love (it may be Politics) and immerse yourself in politics in your free time. Good luck.
Reply 6
Original post by Pegasus25
Sure but as I said you don't need a politics degree to become a politician. Study politics because you enjoy politics.
A business doesn't require any specific degree really, unless it is in a very specific industry.
Why do you want to be a politician? You are the first person I have come across to say that.

I want to become a politician cause i would like to help people and believe that politics is the most effective way to do so. Also, I just find politics really interesting
I want to become a politician cause i would like to help people and believe that politics is the most effective way to do so. Also, I just find politics really interesting

A politician that helps people?! Next pigs will fly!

There are far more ways to help people that actually directly helps them and makes a material difference in their lives...any healthcare profession for example...

oh you sweet summer child. Politicians will eat you alive unfortunately. I sincerely hope you can change that.
Original post by Pegasus25
oh you sweet summer child. Politicians will eat you alive unfortunately. I sincerely hope you can change that.

"In politics, half of the people are your enemies, and the other half are the sort of friends that make you prefer your enemies".

Honestly the easiest way into proper politics (e.g. not civil service) is to join a Think Tank when you graduate. I know it sounds silly but I have multiple friends who wanted to get into politics and were staunch labour supporters, but found that there were a tonne of Tory think tank graduate spots that aren't competitive to get into at all as most young people are left leaning. So they just went for those Tory graduate positions and most stay for a couple years and then get poached to be either MPs/SpAds/journos. Difficult to compromise your beliefs for a few years but the rewards and impact your true values can have afterwards are significant if you go that route. I personally wouldn't recommend it tho, working in politics generally attracts the worst people and corrupts the best people.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest