The Student Room Group

Can i still do architecture with a textiles alevel?

Can i still do architecture with a textiles alevel? I really dont wanna suffer through a fine art alevel even though i heard it would be better but i genuinely enjoy doing textiles.

I’ve currently decided on doing:

Maths
Physics
Art and design: Textiles
Philosophy
Reply 1
Original post by yoshikira111
Can i still do architecture with a textiles alevel? I really dont wanna suffer through a fine art alevel even though i heard it would be better but i genuinely enjoy doing textiles.

I’ve currently decided on doing:

Maths
Physics
Art and design: Textiles
Philosophy

Doing textiles isn't a problem as long as you express the impact its had on you and how the skills you have learnt from textiles can help you to study architecture in your application. Textiles still allows you to go through a design process and experiment with different materials which is something you would do as an architect. You have a balance in your subjects with the maths/physics side and the arts through textiles and knowing how to write essays, think considerately in philosophy. An architect needs to be well-rounded like the subjects you're taking as long as you express that in your application and work then you would get some amazing offers from unis. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by IDK.345
You have a balance in your subjects with the maths/physics side and the arts through textiles and knowing how to write essays, think considerately in philosophy. An architect needs to be well-rounded like the subjects you're taking as long as you express that in your application and work then you would get some amazing offers from unis. Hope this helps :smile:

For the benefit of other prospective architecture student who might read this, the vast majority of architecture courses do not specify math and/or physics as a requirement. For K100 architecture, Strathclyde and some Cambridge colleges are the only universities that require maths or physics. Bath prefers maths and/or physics. For the majority of unis, no specific A levels are required though a creative portfolio will be requested during the application process.
Textiles can be a better choice than fine art. It is design based so you’re responding to briefs and it can include 3d construction/design - so representing 3d ideas in 2d and developing ideas from 2d research and plans into 3d finished work.

Just make sure you put time into your basic sketching and drawing skills alongside your A levels. That will benefit your textiles work and help boost your portfolio for architecture
Fwiw - I wouldn’t recommend 4 A levels for architecture. You need to preserve some free time to develop your portfolio and that will be severely restricted with 4 A levels.
Original post by PQ
Fwiw - I wouldn’t recommend 4 A levels for architecture. You need to preserve some free time to develop your portfolio and that will be severely restricted with 4 A levels.

Thank you. This helps so much. I was thinking on maybe removing physics since i’m more confident in my mathematical ability however i’m still unsure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending