The Student Room Group

a level options

So idk what I'd like to do in the future but i was thinking something in science. Can anyone give their opinions on these subjects: chem, biology, psychology. physics, maths. I dont enjoy bio or maths much but they would be useful I like physics but idk how to feel ab doing a level physics. Yea so just any opinions or regrets on taking any of these would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lilith.
So idk what I'd like to do in the future but i was thinking something in science. Can anyone give their opinions on these subjects: chem, biology, psychology. physics, maths. I dont enjoy bio or maths much but they would be useful I like physics but idk how to feel ab doing a level physics. Yea so just any opinions or regrets on taking any of these would be appreciated :smile:

I did bio chemistry maths physics and dropped bio, purely because I didn’t find the content enjoyable but I know people find it hard however it links well to chemistry. Physics I enjoy but you'd definitely need maths and to really enjoy maths as the A level is quite challenging. Chemistry is great, really interesting but tricker than people expect. Think for science youd definitely want to be getting 7s and above to be successful in A level, otherwise maybe to one of the ‘main sciences’ then psychology and another a level. I hope this helps, i’m in my second year of A levels now :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by molly0702
I did bio chemistry maths physics and dropped bio, purely because I didn’t find the content enjoyable but I know people find it hard however it links well to chemistry. Physics I enjoy but you'd definitely need maths and to really enjoy maths as the A level is quite challenging. Chemistry is great, really interesting but tricker than people expect. Think for science youd definitely want to be getting 7s and above to be successful in A level, otherwise maybe to one of the ‘main sciences’ then psychology and another a level. I hope this helps, i’m in my second year of A levels now :smile:

thank u smmmmm thats very helpful, so without maths I shouldnt do physics then? is it mostly maths
Original post by lilith.
thank u smmmmm thats very helpful, so without maths I shouldnt do physics then? is it mostly maths

It’s not so much that you’d be incapable of the maths, it’s more the fact if you don’t enjoy maths you won’t enjoy physics as id say it’s 50/50 calculations and long answer questions. I don’t know anyone who takes physics without it, also any future career from physics a level will probably benefit maths also :smile:
Reply 4
It’s not so much that you’d be incapable of the maths it’s more the fact if you don’t enjoy maths you won’t enjoy physics as id say it’s 50/50 calculations and long answer questions. I don’t know anyone who takes physics without it, also any future career from physics a level will probably benefit maths also :smile:

ohhhh okay that makes sense, so what if i did chemistry psychology physics and maths and then maybe dropped one after a while if i didnt like it. is that a good idea?
Original post by lilith.
ohhhh okay that makes sense, so what if i did chemistry psychology physics and maths and then maybe dropped one after a while if i didnt like it. is that a good idea?

Sounds like a good plan to me! Again, just make sure you do enjoy your maths as it does link to the other subjects and is quite heavy going as an A level subject itself and have a bit of a look into what the courses entail to make sure it’s stuff that interests you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lilith.

My physics teacher who used to teach a level said that there’s so much crossover between maths and physics that you should definitely take maths if you’re taking physics and also every physics related degree requires maths
It’s not so much that you’d be incapable of the maths, it’s more the fact if you don’t enjoy maths you won’t enjoy physics as id say it’s 50/50 calculations and long answer questions. I don’t know anyone who takes physics without it, also any future career from physics a level will probably benefit maths also :smile:

Just for what it's worth, I do physics without maths, but then I'm not going to do a science at uni. Personally, I dislike maths but like physics - in physics, the math doesn't just exist on the worksheet, if that makes any sense. For a science degree you'll want maths though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by penguingirl18
Just for what it's worth, I do physics without maths, but then I'm not going to do a science at uni. Personally, I dislike maths but like physics - in physics, the math doesn't just exist on the worksheet, if that makes any sense. For a science degree you'll want maths though.

I see what you mean and I definitely think the A level is manageable without maths, However. it is very helpful when using log graphs and equations that require understanding of e and ln etc… just as you said tho maths is definitely necessary if you want to do any degree related to science :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest