The Student Room Group

Covid vaccine after covid

Hey so I’ve not had the vaccine yet, I was pregnant when it came out and now breastfeeding so I’ve been putting it off. I’ve just had covid , no bad symptoms I barely noticed it other than loss of taste and a little cough. I’m going to Italy in may and need my vaccine in the next day or 2 but they say to wait 28 days until you have it.

My question is am i ok to have my jab 20 days after covid symptoms started ? What is the
harm ? I breast feed so don’t want to put baby in danger if it’s too early for health reasons.
Original post by lauren-hall
Hey so I’ve not had the vaccine yet, I was pregnant when it came out and now breastfeeding so I’ve been putting it off. I’ve just had covid , no bad symptoms I barely noticed it other than loss of taste and a little cough. I’m going to Italy in may and need my vaccine in the next day or 2 but they say to wait 28 days until you have it.

My question is am i ok to have my jab 20 days after covid symptoms started ? What is the
harm ? I breast feed so don’t want to put baby in danger if it’s too early for health reasons.

Technically speaking, you and your baby should be fine to have the vaccine 20 days after you've had covid, so long as you've fully recovered and are feeling well. However, the current protocol that vaccination centres are using states that it has to be a minimum of 28 days after the first symptom or first positive test, and I think that they would be unwilling to give you the vaccine since it is against government guidelines. If you haven't yet booked any flights or anything, then I would recommend that you delay it by a week.

I am not a medical practitioner, and would also suggest that you seek professional advice (e.g. see your GP) if you are unsure of anything at all.

Source: I am site manager at a mass vaccination centre
Original post by Anonymous
Technically speaking, you and your baby should be fine to have the vaccine 20 days after you've had covid, so long as you've fully recovered and are feeling well. However, the current protocol that vaccination centres are using states that it has to be a minimum of 28 days after the first symptom or first positive test, and I think that they would be unwilling to give you the vaccine since it is against government guidelines. If you haven't yet booked any flights or anything, then I would recommend that you delay it by a week.

I am not a medical practitioner, and would also suggest that you seek professional advice (e.g. see your GP) if you are unsure of anything at all.

Source: I am site manager at a mass vaccination centre

Thank you so much for that ! We are going to a wedding unfortunately so have to go on that date and everything is booked !
Do you know if they give a second does ever before 8 weeks ? Because I could wait 28 days and then have a second jab 6/7 weeks after if that’s a thing ?
What date are you going and when did you first get symptoms of covid? You might be able to squeeze it in...

In the past we have unfortunately had to turn away many people who have had holidays booked, purely because it had only been 5, 6 weeks since their first jab.
Original post by Anonymous
What date are you going and when did you first get symptoms of covid? You might be able to squeeze it in...

In the past we have unfortunately had to turn away many people who have had holidays booked, purely because it had only been 5, 6 weeks since their first jab.

27th may but it’s Italy and they want the second jab 2 weeks prior to flying! Only other option is a covid recovery certificate ! Thanks for all your advice very appreciated
If you had covid on the 24th of February, assuming the vaccination centre people were a bit lenient, you could have your jabs as follows:

1st jab: Tuesday 22nd March (26 days after covid, close enough to 4 weeks)
2nd jab: Sunday 15th May (7 weeks 5 days after first, close enough to 8 weeks)

Flight on 27th May (1 week 5 days after second, not sure if this is permitted)

Unfortunately, it does appear that we need a couple more days, and it doesn't work out on paper. However, you might want to try and find out if travelling is possible with it only being 12 days after the second jab.

Please remember to be nice to the staff as they may be more likely to do it for you if you are polite. :smile:

Good luck!

Should you get the COVID-19 vaccine if you are unwell.......
People currently unwell and experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should not receive the COVID-19 vaccine until they have recovered.
You can have the vaccine 28 days after you had a positive test for COVID-19 or 28 days after your symptoms started, so you may need to wait..

If you're breastfeeding.... Which you are doing okay,

You cannot catch COVID-19 from the vaccines and cannot pass it to your baby through your breast milk. If you're breastfeeding, the vaccines you can have depends on your age: if you're 40 or over, you can have any of the COVID-19 vaccines.

Congratulations on your birth of your baby and hopefully everything went well with you 😘😘
It was decided late last year that pregnant women should have the COVID vaccine as you now know about as you didn't have it while pregnant.

A NHS registered midwife.xx
(edited 2 years ago)
I doubt they will give you the vaccine within 28 days of a positive test result; the NHS are very fixated on policy and procedure and travelling abroad is probably not sufficient for them to consider an exception.

I would recommend pursuing the certificate of recovery route ASAP, so you have that instead in place (rather than hoping you might get given a vaccine against the standard policy).

They won't give you the vaccine until you have been COVID-free for 28 days. I needed my vaccine and was due to have mine on the 28th day after having COVID and they were considering not allowing me to have it. Rules may have changed since then as this was last year but I would speak to the medical professional who will be vaccinating you.
Why, if you've had covid, and can use the recovery in the NHS app, would you then take a vaccine that you don't need?? Does not make sense in any way.....

Quick Reply

Latest