The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Master of Physician Associate Studies at Bradford

Hanna graduated from our Physician Associate Studies course in 2019.
She's currently working as a Physician Associate at the Bingley Medical Practice and Wilsden Medical Practice, after receiving a job offer while on placement as part of the course :thumbsup:

hanna-portrait-720x800.jpg

Hanna shares her experience of her course with us:

The Physician Associate programme here at the University of Bradford was intense, however, it was structured well so that we were covering the theory and given the opportunity to put that into practice when on placement.

The programme leads are incredibly supportive and willing to help the students whenever needed.

I thoroughly enjoyed being on placement and gaining all my skills and knowledge through meeting patients and medical staff. It was truly an honour to be given the opportunity to be involved in the care of patients and allowed to be privy to some difficult and life changing moments in a person’s life.

What I deeply hold dear is the lifelong friendships and the camaraderie of my fellow students. As a cohort we pushed each other, studied together and practiced our OSCE’s together. Most importantly, we supported each other and worked as a team.

Gaining my Diploma in Physician Associate Studies has most definitely been integral to my career change and progression. Without the Diploma I would not qualify for sitting the national exams and hence practice as a Physician Associate.

I received my results on the 1st November and started work on the 4th November. I cannot emphasise enough the opportunities that can arise from being on such a course.

Do you have any questions about our Master of Physician Associate Studies course? Get in touch :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sounds cool!
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 2
Original post by University of Bradford
She's currently working as a Physician Associate at the Bingley Medical Practice and Wilsden Medical Practice, after receiving a job offer while on placement as part of the course :thumbsup:

The Physician Associate programme here at the University of Bradford was intense, however, it was structured well so that we were covering the theory and given the opportunity to put that into practice when on placement.

The programme leads are incredibly supportive and willing to help the students whenever needed.

I thoroughly enjoyed being on placement and gaining all my skills and knowledge through meeting patients and medical staff. It was truly an honour to be given the opportunity to be involved in the care of patients and allowed to be privy to some difficult and life changing moments in a person’s life.

What I deeply hold dear is the lifelong friendships and the camaraderie of my fellow students. As a cohort we pushed each other, studied together and practiced our OSCE’s together. Most importantly, we supported each other and worked as a team.

Gaining my Diploma in Physician Associate Studies has most definitely been integral to my career change and progression. Without the Diploma I would not qualify for sitting the national exams and hence practice as a Physician Associate.

I received my results on the 1st November and started work on the 4th November. I cannot emphasise enough the opportunities that can arise from being on such a course.

Do you have any questions about our Master of Physician Associate Studies course? Get in touch :smile:

I'm currently about to qualify in therapeutic radiography and don't want to work in the field anymore.

How did you fund this - are you aware of anyway I can access funding as this is the only barrier it seems 😔.

Also are the osce exams so much worse than at bsc level?

Thank you so much
Reply 3
I'm a therapeutic radiography graduate too and will be doing this course. Are you studying at Hallam?
Reply 4
Original post by Monto
I'm currently about to qualify in therapeutic radiography and don't want to work in the field anymore.

How did you fund this - are you aware of anyway I can access funding as this is the only barrier it seems 😔.

Also are the osce exams so much worse than at bsc level?

Thank you so much

I'm a therapeutic radiography graduate too and will be doing this course. Are you studying at Hallam?
Original post by University of Bradford

Hi Hanna,
First of all huge CONGRATS! That is such an amazing achievement and I can only imagine the hard work that has gone into this for you. So well done again and to get your job role so quickly after it is a major bonus! My Name is Naomi and I have recently graduated as an infectious disease clinician after obtaining my First-Class (Hons) last summer! I currently work as clinical support in Oncology here in Manchester (which I love). I have recently applied for my MSc in PA and waiting a decision. My only and huge concern is funding. Could you give me any advise on this aspect at all as I feel that this is the only barrier to my dream job?
Many thanks and congratulations again,
Naomi
Reply 6
Great to hear this has worked out for you and it's very inspiring to read :smile:

Any idea if it would be possible to work part-time to support myself whilst studying? Were there any people in your cohort that did work?

What was the daily uni timetable like? Is it like a 9-5 schedule 5 days a week?
Reply 7
Original post by Wass006

Thinking of doing it in Hertfordshire :smile: Did you go straight from your undergrad to PA course or did you work as a TR in between?
Reply 8
Original post by Monto
Thinking of doing it in Hertfordshire :smile: Did you go straight from your undergrad to PA course or did you work as a TR in between?

I worked as a TRAD for 8 months then applied for PA September 2022 entry
Reply 9
Original post by Wass006
I worked as a TRAD for 8 months then applied for PA September 2022 entry

Good to know. I might do this too, save up a bit of cash as il need it. Did you work at all whilst doing the pa course? Thank you so much, you've been so helpful 🥰
Original post by Monto
Great to hear this has worked out for you and it's very inspiring to read :smile:

Any idea if it would be possible to work part-time to support myself whilst studying? Were there any people in your cohort that did work?

What was the daily uni timetable like? Is it like a 9-5 schedule 5 days a week?

Hey @Monto :smile:

How are you?

Thanks for getting in touch. If you contact the faculty admin on [email protected] they will be able to answer these questions for you :smile:

Becky
Original post by Monto
Good to know. I might do this too, save up a bit of cash as il need it. Did you work at all whilst doing the pa course? Thank you so much, you've been so helpful 🥰

I have not started yet, are you still due to start your undergrad course? I would concentrate on that first
Sorry I just read that your about to qualify, I did do the job for 8 months I would say get some experience minimum of 6 months then apply for PA. Clinical experience will be very helpful.
Reply 13
Thank you - I qualified now and due to start work this soon - was thinking sept entry 2023 as this is very late in the day for 2022 entry, even though this would have been the preference, I don't quite have the funds to support myself right now. Thanks for the help, you have been great :smile:
Monto are you a mature student or did you go straight from 6th form?
Reply 15
(Original post by Wass006)Monto are you a mature student or did you go straight from 6th form?

Mature student, first in Radiotherapy and Oncology BSc, about to start work but interested in the PA course.
How did you do in your RONC? Classification?
Reply 17
Original post by Wass006
How did you do in your RONC? Classification?

First Class Honours :smile:
Well done, congrats why don't you try and get in for PA through clearing
Reply 19
Original post by Wass006
Well done, congrats why don't you try and get in for PA through clearing

Thank you 😊 I was going to try do that. But I would have to financially support myself, just for living expenses can cover fees wutb my own money, student finance and hhe. Just living expenses meaning that I will have to work during the course. Not sure if that's possible 😬😬

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending