The Student Room Group

2022 Electrical Engineering applicants

Welcome to the '22 EEE (Electrical &/or electronics engineering) applicants thread!

Feel free to introduce yourself with these icebreaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
(Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll start :/

1. What course are you applying for:
EEE

2. What universities are you thinking of:
Applied Imperial, Cambridge, Southampton, UCL, Manchester

3. A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
Achieved 4A* (Maths, FM, Physics, Econ)

4. GCSE grades:
99999999A*A*A*A*A
Original post by Varss
I'll start :/

1. What course are you applying for:
EEE

2. What universities are you thinking of:
Applied Imperial, Cambridge, Southampton, UCL, Manchester

3. A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
Achieved 4A* (Maths, FM, Physics, Econ)

4. GCSE grades:
99999999A*A*A*A*A

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
Good luck!

thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Anyone heard back from ucl yet???
Reply 5
I have and got an offer so yay!But I have a question for everyone here: I have offers from UCL and Southampton, but I can't choose between them. Does anyone have the power to help me with this haha :smile:
Original post by Bandhra
I have and got an offer so yay!But I have a question for everyone here: I have offers from UCL and Southampton, but I can't choose between them. Does anyone have the power to help me with this haha :smile:

UCL is more well known in a general sense & certainly internationally.
S'oton has an excellent engineering reputation and is generally considered one of the strongest universities for engineering in the UK.

UCL is in London and that has a very different lifestyle & costs to S'oton which will be a more typical student city.

If you are interested in working internationally or in finance/consulting UCL is probably the route to consider; for a job in engineering (R&D, manufacturing....) id probably say it's unlikely to make a be a big difference CV wise but I personally think you'll probably have a larger cohort and probably more engineering specific facilities at S'oton.

For a typical student I personally think S'oton would be more enjoyable, London is just so crazy expensive and the nightlife is less together then it is in cities which arent as metropoloaised
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
UCL is more well known in a general sense & certainly internationally.
S'oton has an excellent engineering reputation and is generally considered one of the strongest universities for engineering in the UK.

UCL is in London and that has a very different lifestyle & costs to S'oton which will be a more typical student city.

If you are interested in working internationally or in finance/consulting UCL is probably the route to consider; for a job in engineering (R&D, manufacturing....) id probably say it's unlikely to make a be a big difference CV wise but I personally think you'll probably have a larger cohort and probably more engineering specific facilities at S'oton.

For a typical student I personally think S'oton would be more enjoyable, London is just so crazy expensive and the nightlife is less together then it is in cities which arent as metropoloaised

Thank you so much for that! I've heard so much about Southampton being great for engineering but was unsure as to how good UCL is for engineering. I appreciate your input! :smile:
Reply 8
Has anyone heard back from Imperial for EEE yet?
Original post by archi23
Has anyone heard back from Imperial for EEE yet?

Yes. Yesterday. Home student, applied beginning of October and interviewed 12th November. Hope you hear soon. It was a long wait….
Reply 10
anyone still waiting on ucl??
yeah I'm still waiting for UCL
Reply 12
Original post by AstroDelta
yeah I'm still waiting for UCL

mind me asking what your stats are?
Original post by ivern
mind me asking what your stats are?

A*A*AA predicted
9999999866 (6s were in English Lang and Lit)
Applied in December
Hi I’m an international student. I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this but I couldn’t find a better thread , do you guys ever think about all those Reddit answers and other posts about engineers in the uk being underpaid ? I get really demotivated from reading those and start doubting myself. Would you agree with those posts? How do you guys deal with it mentally ?
Reply 15
Original post by realtimewanderer
Yes. Yesterday. Home student, applied beginning of October and interviewed 12th November. Hope you hear soon. It was a long wait….

Well done omg. My interview was 8th December but I should probably hear back by the end of March agh
Original post by BigBoi05
Hi I’m an international student. I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this but I couldn’t find a better thread , do you guys ever think about all those Reddit answers and other posts about engineers in the uk being underpaid ? I get really demotivated from reading those and start doubting myself. Would you agree with those posts? How do you guys deal with it mentally ?

My dad is an engineer here in the UK, and he's told me multiple times that the money in engineering is NOT in the UK, so by that what I think most the reddit posts you're talking about is that UK engineers are relatively underpaid for similar jobs. You're probably going to get far more money in US and other countries. It's not really demotivated me though because I'm interested in the subject.
Original post by AstroDelta
My dad is an engineer here in the UK, and he's told me multiple times that the money in engineering is NOT in the UK, so by that what I think most the reddit posts you're talking about is that UK engineers are relatively underpaid for similar jobs. You're probably going to get far more money in US and other countries. It's not really demotivated me though because I'm interested in the subject.

Depends where you work, technical consultancy, energy, IP can be very financially lucrative.

But run of the mill engineering jobs in supply chain, manufacturing or average r&d firm pulls in £40-£70,000 and you need to be in management to make 6figs.

FWIW, electrical engineering is very in demand (what doesn’t use power electronics nowadays...), ive seen grad schemes for EE in £30,000+ (Outside law/data science/finance thats as good as it gets really )
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
Depends where you work, technical consultancy, energy, IP can be very financially lucrative.

But run of the mill engineering jobs in supply chain, manufacturing or average r&d firm pulls in £40-£70,000 and you need to be in management to make 6figs.

FWIW, electrical engineering is very in demand (what doesn’t use power electronics nowadays...), ive seen grad schemes for EE in £30,000+ (Outside law/data science/finance thats as good as it gets really )

Aren’t graduate schemes really competitive ? How do people get into one ?
Original post by BigBoi05
Aren’t graduate schemes really competitive ? How do people get into one ?

It varies company to company.

Some are very competitive, others are very attainable (a lot is dependent on industry and how visible they are, but lots of big industry employers aren’t necessarily visible to society generally but still have lots of great opportunities, so networking & careers fairs really help dig them out) .

You just apply on the careers website of companies you are interested in, most companies have a process like CV screening, psychometric testing or video interview, assessment center. But you are free to apply for as many as you like.

Quick Reply

Latest