The Student Room Group

I need help with my Dissertation!

Hi I need help with my final year dissertation (Biomedical Science) I only have around 8 weeks to write 5000 words and I am still researching but I'm struggling with what I have to do. I am doing a systematic review and meta-analyisis where I'm analyzing whether FGF-23 levels are associated with Left Ventricular Hypertrophy in Chronic Kidney disease patients but i'm lost. I don't even know how to select my studies and do statistical analysis on it. My uni is so rubbish that they don't give us much help at all.
Original post by SongBird2020
Hi I need help with my final year dissertation (Biomedical Science) I only have around 8 weeks to write 5000 words and I am still researching but I'm struggling with what I have to do. I am doing a systematic review and meta-analyisis where I'm analyzing whether FGF-23 levels are associated with Left Ventricular Hypertrophy in Chronic Kidney disease patients but i'm lost. I don't even know how to select my studies and do statistical analysis on it. My uni is so rubbish that they don't give us much help at all.

Your best bet is to speak to your supervisor, honestly. You're not going to get specific help like this on here.

Try being specific with your questions to the supervisor. Maybe you'll get a less rubbish response from them if you do.
(edited 2 years ago)

I'll start by saying I'm sorry. For what I don't exactly know.

Here's the thing: your a post grad student preparing an academic piece of work which if satisfactory will entitle you to be called Dr.

Get your head straight and start problem solving. Organize yourself, start identifying the issues: make lists, prepare plans, talk to people. Your supervisor is there to help with your academic work not teach you t-tests, correlation etc. Go to him or her with interesting academic nuggets to discuss. Find as closely related a thesis as possible and study its form and presentation. These are in or obtainable through the library. And of course I'm talking about a good one - distinction.

So what's your position - are FGF-23 levels associated or not? Look up how to perform a meta - internet, you tube etc. Talk to the stats department/people offer dinner etc. You should have your core studies by now (6/12 or more) and have critiqued and evaluated them individually ready for your meta work.

Carry on and get cracking.

Hello, I can help you with your dissertation. I did mine last year which was almost similar to your case. I wish to help you also. Thanks

Hi @SongBird2020

Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit overwhelmed.

I am currently writing and researching for my dissertation. Although it is not a literature review, it does have some literature elements to it. I found that by just reading around the topic I was writing about to understand more about it was a good start before starting to fully research. It really helped to understand what papers I may want to look for.

If you are unsure on how to select your studies, I would start by finding papers that are relevant. By reading these papers you may suddenly have a thought for how to select relevance. In the past, I have used PRISM/PRISMA guidelines which may be of use to you? Have you considered writing and inclusion and exclusion criteria for your papers - i.e. inclusion is it must be European patients or what stage of disease must the paper refer to.

I am not too sure on statistical analyses sorry. Have you considered emailing another academic who may be able to advise you? Or see if you can find past literature reviews online and look at how they have conducted analysis.

Good luck!

Lauren
(Student Ambassador)
Original post by JohnExpert
Hello, I can help you with your dissertation. I did mine last year which was almost similar to your case. I wish to help you also. Thanks

Given that this is "JohnExperts" 2nd post ever on TSR and they just happened to have "done a dissertation" on this exact subject I find myself thinking “wow, super dodgy”. Watch out for the odd predatory essay mill trawling for business.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Given that this is "JohnExperts" 2nd post ever on TSR and they just happened to have "done a dissertation" on this exact subject I find myself thinking “wow, super dodgy”. Watch out for the odd predatory essay mill trawling for business.

Yeah, I was actually considering hiring someone to write my dissertation for me due to the lack of support I'm getting at Uni. My supervisor is off with Covid and the academic study help services at uni just give really broad general advice which is not helpful at all.
But I think I'd rather just get a bad grade then get caught for plagiarism and waste money for nothing. Considering I got a 1st in almost every assignment in second year and the first half of third year, i'm hoping I could get atleast a low 2:1 overall with a 2:2 or 3rd in my dissertation.
Original post by JohnExpert

May I ask what was your topic about?
Reply 8
For starters, watch out for independent samples test in your sources, which can also be referred to as student's t-test or analysis of variance (ANOVA). This will help you in hypothesis testing and rejection of the null hypothesis. Also, multivariate analysis of variance (MANOVA) could be vital if you intend to compare and contrast more than 2 independent variables against a dependent variable. Besides, some studies might prioritize Pearson's correlation in determining trends/patterns/relationships between study parameters. Unfortunately, for ANOVA you need to perform box plot analysis to identify any data points that are potential outliers and Shapiro-wilk's test for even spreading out of the data, and secondary data sources might not offer this. But, I can help out.

Reply 9
Original post by Grizwuld

Here's the thing: your a post grad student preparing an academic piece of work which if satisfactory will entitle you to be called Dr.

Are they? In 3rd year undergrad? With a 5000 word thesis?
Original post by Zeddy99
For starters, watch out for independent samples test in your sources, which can also be referred to as student's t-test or analysis of variance (ANOVA). This will help you in hypothesis testing and rejection of the null hypothesis. Also, multivariate analysis of variance (MANOVA) could be vital if you intend to compare and contrast more than 2 independent variables against a dependent variable. Besides, some studies might prioritize Pearson's correlation in determining trends/patterns/relationships between study parameters. Unfortunately, for ANOVA you need to perform box plot analysis to identify any data points that are potential outliers and Shapiro-wilk's test for even spreading out of the data, and secondary data sources might not offer this. But, I can help out.

Hi, I am looking at papers where they are measuring whether increasing concentrations of FGF-23 are associated with increase in Left ventricular mass index (LVMI), but the problem is that the papers I have found do not give any raw data. i would need raw data in order to perform these types of statistical analysis so i don't know what to do. The papers just show whether there is a correlation between the two variables and they provide some P and R values and some just show a scatter graph. But I'm not sure what I can do with just the P and R values. I have found some papers that show that there is a correlation and some papers which don't which is really good for my discussion section because then I can talk about why some don't have a positive correlation so eg age group etc. But the problem is the statistical analysis!!! It's really holding me back. I contacted the study skills support team and they said that I could include the percentage increase SD to see if there's a correlation but not all papers show the percentage increase. Can you help me out with this? If so, please could i message you privately? If not, then that's perfectly fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending