The Student Room Group

Could I describe my GCSEs as "8 GCSEs A*- C" in my CV if I only got Bs and Cs?

I'm creating a CV and I'm curious to know whether I am able to describe my GCSEs as "A* - C", or would I need to actually have at least one A* to present them like that?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The statistic is usually quoted as "GCSEs A*-C" but it'd feel like a bit of a misrepresentation on a CV, I'd say 8 GCSEs C and above personally. YMMV though, and it probably doesn't matter that much.

Basically yes, but I'd feel a bit iffy about it.
(edited 2 years ago)
I think that's pushing things myself. I'd put 8 x B-C.
I feel like you shouldn’t because it assumes that your GCSEs are within the range A*-C but in actuality they are not. I think that you either break down the subjects individually to showcase academic history, or you just simply say you have completed all your GCSEs and place emphasis on the core subjects that you studied. In my CV, I simply just put 11 GCSEs achieved, including: maths, English language.
Do you have any qualifications past GCSEs, like A Levels/ BTEC equivalent? The usual attitude is that employers look straight at your most recent qualifications, and maybe subjects most related to the job (especially English and maths), so not much attention would be given to your gcse grades in that case. I myself would say “8 GCSEs at grades C and above”, just in case they were to ask me about what I actually got as they may view me to be lying
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I feel like you shouldn’t because it assumes that your GCSEs are within the range A*-C but in actuality they are not. I think that you either break down the subjects individually to showcase academic history, or you just simply say you have completed all your GCSEs and place emphasis on the core subjects that you studied. In my CV, I simply just put 11 GCSEs achieved, including: maths, English language.

If you want to lawyer it, Bs and Cs fall between an A* and a C. But it strongly insinuates that you have some A*s and As and if you ever got pulled up on it (probably quite unlikely) it would look very dishonest.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by doubleup
I'm making a CV and I'm curious to know whether I am able to describe my GCSEs as "A* - C", or would I need to actually have at least one A* to call them that?

If you didn't get any Grade A*s, then you can't describe your GCSEs as 'Grades A*-C' as that implies a range which your grades don't fit. You'd write instead '8 GCSEs Grades B-C (or whatever) including maths and English at Grade X'. You don't usually write out all your GCSE subjects and grades anyway in a CV.
Original post by _gcx
If you want to lawyer it, Bs and Cs fall between an A* and a C. But it strongly insinuates that you have some A*s and As.

His GCSE’s aren’t within the range A*-C.

The range is B-C.

As you said, it “insinuates” they have some A*’s and A’s but indeed they don’t.

It’s just like someone who only achieved C’s at A level saying that have achieved grades between A*-C. It is heavily misleading.
Original post by _gcx
If you want to lawyer it, Bs and Cs fall between an A* and a C. But it strongly insinuates that you have some A*s and As.

I disagree - by putting 'A*-C' it is implying an achieved range with an upper achivement of A* and a lower achievement of C. I think it's stronger than 'insinuate'. Otherwise, why not put 'A*-G', that also being a range in which the results fall? The fact that he's using the lower bound of 'C' rather than 'G' means to me that the results span the mentioned grades, rather than fitting between them.
Absolutely not, you cannot put that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
I disagree - by putting 'A*-C' it is implying an achieved range with an upper achivement of A* and a lower achievement of C. I think it's stronger than 'insinuate'. Otherwise, why not put 'A*-G', that also being a range in which the results fall? The fact that he's using the lower bound of 'C' rather than 'G' means to me that the results span the mentioned grades, rather than fitting between them.

It mirrors the language that might be used in the requirements, ie. "5 GCSEs A*-C", which just means 5 GCSEs C or above. It's a bit cheeky to borrow this wording but I don't think it's entirely incorrect
I would say "grade C and above." If the person you send your CV to doesn't care about the exact grades then they don't care and it won't matter. If they do care, then they're going to ask you for specifics, and demonstrating that you've been economical with the truth is not a good look.
Original post by _gcx
It mirrors the language that might be used in the requirements, ie. "5 GCSEs A*-C", which just means 5 GCSEs C or above. It's a bit cheeky to borrow this wording but I don't think it's entirely incorrect

Yes, true enough.
Reply 13
Original post by ElzGeek02
Do you have any qualifications past GCSEs, like A Levels/ BTEC equivalent? The usual attitude is that employers look straight at your most recent qualifications, and maybe subjects most related to the job (especially English and maths), so not much attention would be given to your gcse grades in that case. I myself would say “8 GCSEs at grades C and above”, just in case they were to ask me about what I actually got as they may view me to be lying

Yes, my A-level results are expected to be considerably higher. I also should be going to university this year.
I think I'm just going to go with "8 GCSEs including x in Maths and y in English" and then present my more recent qualifications.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Reality Check

I was using the lower bound of 'C' because any lower would be classified as a fail grade at GCSE, but yes I won't be describing them as "A*-C", but rather "8 GCSEs including x in Maths and y in English".
Yeah it's fine, no one's reading that bit anyway and don't care if it's an A or B.

When a company asks for 'A* - C', they're not literally asking for your grades to be a range of A*s, As, Bs and Cs of course, just that you got a grade within that range.

At most they care if you got C or above in Maths, but they care more that you have common sense and can just use a till or calculator.

Whole point of CVs is to word it so it seems more than it is. Most people outright lie.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm creating a CV and I'm curious to know whether I am able to describe my GCSEs as "A* - C", or would I need to actually have at least one A* to present them like that?

Standard way employers expect to see it written is '8 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English' . We aren't interested in the grades unless we have asked for specific grades for a reason and if you have a degree or A levels then they are less relevant
I won't be describing them as "A*-C", but rather "8 GCSEs including x in Maths and y in English".

Yes, I think that's a much better construction. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Fruity Girl
Standard way employers expect to see it written is '8 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English' . We aren't interested in the grades unless we have asked for specific grades for a reason and if you have a degree or A levels then they are less relevant

I'm finishing my A-level studies this year and I'm moving on to University shortly. I think I'm just going to go with "8 GCSEs including x in Maths and y in English" or "8 GCSEs including Maths and English".
I was using the lower bound of 'C' because any lower would be classified as a fail grade at GCSE, but yes I won't be describing them as "A*-C", but rather "8 GCSEs including x in Maths and y in English".

I would describe them as A-C not A-G as the only pass grades are A-C as far as employers are concerned. Using the new numerical grading system confuses employers most of which haven't got the familiarity with them yet. So you might say 8 GCSES 9-5 or 9-4 (equivalent to A-C passes)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending