Why Oxford? ~

Why that college? (if you know why) ~

State/Private/Grammar/Home ~

Useful Links

Forms and Trackers

Interview Shortlist: Form and Tracker

Interview Self Assessment: Form and Tracker

Notes

The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room and are set up by members of the community. Please take this into account when entering your details into any of the forms. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please Ask The Community Staff.

Please do not use this thread to ask for group chat information or for sharing social media handles. The Student Room is a place for young people to connect safely online, it is a public website, by posting your social media details in this thread you are allowing everyone looking at the Internet to see your handles etc. To keep you, and all our other user's safe, TSR doesn't allow sharing of social media group chats. Any mentions of this will be removed. Thanks!

Good luck everyone!!!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mm03xx
Hey,

I’m currently in my first year of college and I’m studying BTEC National Extended Diploma In Business, I’m planning to apply for law in September and have a predicted grade of D*DD. My GCSEs aren’t the best 😭 and the main reason for choosing Oxford is coz it’s close to London and it has DDD for it’s BTEC entry requirements.
I hope this is interesting lol I don’t think there are many people studying btecs that apply to Oxford lol

Convinced this is a joke
Original post by aaq1
yes we get that quite a lot on here

Original post by asfgvfasfvw
Convinced this is a joke

I nearly had an aneurysm reading ur comment lmao
Hi I'm Mel:

- I'll be applying to Oxford for Biochemistry this year for 2023 entry and I'm going to apply to St. John's!
- I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (I'm also doing an EPQ but this probably won't be considered by tutors in my application as anything other than supercurricular)
- We haven't had any official predicted grades but I'm confident I could get at least A*A*AA in my A Levels (A*s most likely in Chemistry and Maths)
- At GCSE I got 10 x Grade 9, and 2 x Grade 8 (english lit and french :angry:)
- Its a common thing to say, but the main appeal of Oxbridge is obviously the tutorial system - as well as being able to learn from world leaders in their field, surrounded by so many other hugely intelligent students
- John's just seems like a really good fit for me! Relative to other colleges, they have a fairly large Biochemistry Intake per year, and it would be really good to have other people on the course in college. I also really like their sports societies, and I actually ~like~ the honeycomb accommodation?? I've also been considering The Queen's College, and will hopefully visit both (and others) at some point within the next few months.
- In terms of other Unis, I'm definitely going to also apply to Imperial and Sheffield, with UCL and Southampton currently completing my top 5 (although this is likely to be very different come October...)
(edited 2 years ago)
@mel1moreley What about Imperial College? :smile:
Reply 5
Hey!

I'm applying for Physics, not sure which college yet but I love the look of Magdalen

I'm taking chemistry, maths, further maths, and physics but don't have my predicted grades yet. Oxford feels like such a beautiful and friendly city to live in :smile: I loved it when I visited, so I might as well apply!

Other unis I'd like to apply to are Imperial, UCL, Warwick and Bath
Original post by nymeriaa
Hey!

I'm applying for Physics, not sure which college yet but I love the look of Magdalen

I'm taking chemistry, maths, further maths, and physics but don't have my predicted grades yet. Oxford feels like such a beautiful and friendly city to live in :smile: I loved it when I visited, so I might as well apply!

Other unis I'd like to apply to are Imperial, UCL, Warwick and Bath

Magdalen, Christ Church and St.Johns are the richest 3 colleges at Oxford University!!! :wink:
Just spotted this thread by sheer coincidence - you keen beans :biggrin:

Oxford music alumna here (2007-2010). Just writing my usual "if anyone has any questions about Worcester College, or the music degree at Oxford (bearing in mind it's been revamped wildly since I left!)" post. It gets hard to keep up with these threads sometimes but do give me a shout if I'm needed :awesome:

:smartass:
Hi all! I’m on my gap year at the moment but will be studying Geography at St Catz in October. I reapplied in my gap year after being rejected pre-interview and helped to run the Oxford 2022 thread and managed the spreadsheets.

If anyone has any questions about applying generally, Geography, St Catz, reapplying, applying in a gap year etc or anything Oxford related let me know i’m happy to help. After 3 years of considering Oxford and Cambridge through my gap year and throughout Sixth form I’ve gained bits of knowledge about applying (for other subjects too) so let me know if I can be of use!
Hi @azby1098, is there a rule that you must apply to a different college in a different application cycle if you were rejected, especially if it was a pre-interview rejection? Also, is Oxford biased against reapplicants / gap year students and do admissions tutors actively expect more from you as a gap year applicant, e.g. holding you to higher standards in admissions tests and especially interviews, or do you have as much chance as a first-time applicant? Thank you!
Original post by some.student123
Hi @azby1098, is there a rule that you must apply to a different college in a different application cycle if you were rejected, especially if it was a pre-interview rejection? Also, is Oxford biased against reapplicants / gap year students and do admissions tutors actively expect more from you as a gap year applicant, e.g. holding you to higher standards in admissions tests and especially interviews, or do you have as much chance as a first-time applicant? Thank you!

So there is no specific rule stating that you HAVE to apply to a different college, but I think it’s incredibly uncommon to reapply to the same college for the following reasons:

If you were rejected pre interview, there’s a chance that shortlisting is not centralised and individual tutors make final decisions. This may mean that, although unlikely, they may remember your application. The same applies for post-interview rejections as if you received an interview, it is likely tutors will be the same after one year and if you are remember some unconscious bias may come through.

Oxford are definitely not biased against gap year applicants, if anything they seem for it for some subjects. For geography and biology for example, if you have already achieved A*AA they automatically shortlist you for interview. This is not the case for every subject though. Being a gap year applicant will not go against you in any way, and if it changes anything it’ll only make you seem stronger.

Interviews/admissions tests wise, they are judging you on the same criteria so it would be unfair for them to assume more of you than another applicant.

I do know that some subjects like Maths/Physics are slightly dubious of gap year applicants as you may not keep up your level of work through your year out, but I don’t think this causes tonnes of problems.

FYI, in none of my interviews was I asked about my gap year, what I’m doing in it or why I took one etc.
Hey

Subject applying for : Engineering
College applying to : maybe Balliol ?? (idk I think it has one of the highest numbers of engineering students and it's pretty much in the city centre) or Keble (close to the engineering building)
A-Levels/ Equiv taking : Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics
Additional qualifications (if any) : I'm doing an EPQ as well
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq): Maths A*, Econ A, F. Math A, Physics A (I know the entry requirement is A*A*A but I'm working on physics)
Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades :
Maths - 9
Eng Lang -9
Eng Lit -9
Physics -9
Bio -9
Chem -9
Comp Sci -9
Art -8
Spanish -8
Further Maths -9
Addition Maths (OCR FSMQ) -A (45 UCAS points)
Why Oxford? : I like the idea of a general engineering course, it means I don't have to specify and choose before I know more about the different areas of engineering. Also it's one of the highest ranked schools for engineering in the UK along with Imperial which I'm also planning on applying to. I also like the idea of the different colleges, it's like the best of a campus and a city university all in one.
Why that college? (if you know why) ~ stated above
The other Unis I'm planning on applying to are UCL, Imperial, Bath and Sussex
Original post by JessD3333
Reapplicant here

Applying for modern languages- French and Spanish
college- either magdelen or Lmh
A-levels- French, Spanish, Music, History
additional qualifications- grade 8 violin distinction, grade 5 piano distinction
predicted- 4A*
Gcse- 10 9s
why oxford- for my chosen career path I want to have the best education possible, I was very late starting to apply last year and I regret that
why that college- honestly I just think they look lovely, I wish I had a reason more of substance

state comprehensive

Are you doing AQA French and AQA Spanish? How are your IRP and Speaking? :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by thegeek888
Are you doing AQA French and AQA Spanish? How are your IRP and Speaking? :smile:

I am!! honestly I find speaking the hardest out of all 3 papers but I actually really enjoy my IRPs. I'm just nervous about the aspects I can't prepare for. What about you?
Original post by JessD3333
I am!! honestly I find speaking the hardest out of all 3 papers but I actually really enjoy my IRPs. I'm just nervous about the aspects I can't prepare for. What about you?

I am a mature student and got an A* in GCSE German but never took the language to A-Level as I was not aware of how difficult it could be. But I should get A*’s in German and Spanish and an A in French hopefully.

Speaking is not easy, but it takes a lot of listening to French, German and Spanish radio stations as well as news and TV series on Amazon and Netflix.

Individual Research Projects can make the difference between an A*/A and B/C, and they are easy if you use search engines effectively for your bibliography online.

French

Novel: L’étranger
Film: La Haine

L’etranger is one of the most popular novels and has a lot of resources and can easily be prepared for and so can the film La Haine. So I am confident of an A grade.

Moreover, grade boundaries were 66% for an A grade and 75% for an A* grade.

German

Novel: Der Besuch der alten Dame
Film: Goodbye Lenin

The novel has been around for decades and has a lot of resources and the film is very popular as an AS film as well as an A-Level film option.
Grade boundaries are not that high at all, at 70% for an A grade and 80% for an A* grade.

Spanish

Novel: La Casa de Bernarda Alba
Film: Volver

I am learning Spanish as it will be very useful in South America and other Spanish speaking countries, which is larger than the population of German and French speakers globally combined.

I also find Spanish the easiest language A-Level. I should get an A* with 85% being required and most certainly an A grade with 75% being required.
Subject applying for ~ Law

College applying to ~ Not sure yet, stuck between Lady Margaret, Christ Church, Trinity and Balliol

A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ A Level Psychology, History and English Lit

Predicted grades~ AAA but the way my mocks are going I can see an A*AA predicted in my future

Achieved GCSE grades ~
88888775 and Merit in BTEC ICT (Feel a bit dumb looking at everyone's 9s now 😭😭😭)

Why Oxford? ~
...Why not haha
It'll look good on my job applications. It sounds superficial but honest to god who actually goes to Oxford and doesn't think that? Not my main motivator but as the UCAS Oxbridge deadline draws closer I'll whip out something.

State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ Went to state comprehensive school, a not so good one tbh. But despite that I'm still in its sixth form so I am the clown here.

I'm also applying to UCL, LSE and Nottingham
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by azby1098
So there is no specific rule stating that you HAVE to apply to a different college, but I think it’s incredibly uncommon to reapply to the same college for the following reasons:

If you were rejected pre interview, there’s a chance that shortlisting is not centralised and individual tutors make final decisions. This may mean that, although unlikely, they may remember your application. The same applies for post-interview rejections as if you received an interview, it is likely tutors will be the same after one year and if you are remember some unconscious bias may come through.

Oxford are definitely not biased against gap year applicants, if anything they seem for it for some subjects. For geography and biology for example, if you have already achieved A*AA they automatically shortlist you for interview. This is not the case for every subject though. Being a gap year applicant will not go against you in any way, and if it changes anything it’ll only make you seem stronger.

Interviews/admissions tests wise, they are judging you on the same criteria so it would be unfair for them to assume more of you than another applicant.

I do know that some subjects like Maths/Physics are slightly dubious of gap year applicants as you may not keep up your level of work through your year out, but I don’t think this causes tonnes of problems.

FYI, in none of my interviews was I asked about my gap year, what I’m doing in it or why I took one etc.

PRSOM - thank you! TSR is still not letting me rate your post for some reason. :confused:
Original post by corpsebride2k5
Subject applying for ~ Law

I'm also applying to UCL, LSE and Nottingham

What about KCL or SOAS as they're both also in London!!! :biggrin:
Hello TSR, I'm Barny! I'm from the North of England and hoping to study Modern Foreign Languages at University

Subject applying for ~ Russian and French

College applying to ~ Either Christ Church or Brasenose

A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ French, Russian, Latin, EPQ (maybe, I haven't yet decided)

Additional qualifications (if any) - Grade 6 Piano, that's about it.

Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ All A*

Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ 99999999988 + A in HPQ

Why Oxford? ~ It's one of the best unis for my course, and I love the idea of being able to study in the city of dreaming spires. It's not something I've "dreamt of since childhood", but I think it's worth a shot.

Why that college? (if you know why) ~ Both have really beautiful buildings and vibes, and strong rowing teams, I'm a keen rower so that's important :smile:

State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ I'm at a private (ancient public) school.
Original post by mel1morley
Hi I'm Mel:

- I'll be applying to Oxford for Biochemistry this year for 2023 entry and I'm going to apply to St. John's!
- I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (I'm also doing an EPQ but this probably won't be considered by tutors in my application as anything other than supercurricular)
- We haven't had any official predicted grades but I'm confident I could get at least A*A*AA in my A Levels (A*s most likely in Chemistry and Maths)
- At GCSE I got 10 x Grade 9, and 2 x Grade 8 (english lit and french :angry:)
- Its a common thing to say, but the main appeal of Oxbridge is obviously the tutorial system - as well as being able to learn from world leaders in their field, surrounded by so many other hugely intelligent students
- John's just seems like a really good fit for me! Relative to other colleges, they have a fairly large Biochemistry Intake per year, and it would be really good to have other people on the course in college. I also really like their sports societies, and I actually ~like~ the honeycomb accommodation?? I've also been considering The Queen's College, and will hopefully visit both (and others) at some point within the next few months.
- In terms of other Unis, I'm definitely going to also apply to Imperial and Sheffield, with UCL and Southampton currently completing my top 5 (although this is likely to be very different come October...)

That sounds so interesting. I was hoping to apply to Queens too, but they don't offer Russian :frown: however the interactions I've had with their outreach department have been really positive :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending