The Student Room Group

feeling Regret

I regret the choices I had made to which unis I applied for and I wish I had a time machine. I thought UCAS Extra could've saved me but I learn't I would have to reject all my current offers for that to work which is a risk im not willing to take. I guess my only chance now is clearing but I don't have high hopes for it working out. Another option could be a gap year and re-apply next year but I'm not well off it's not like I have money to be enjoying myself or going on holidays having fun during a gap year. I would just be depressed.

Context: courses I applied for are Architecture & Architectural tech. I was indecisive about the 2 courses hence why I applied for both (and basically wasted 2 spots on my application).
I wanted to go to Coventry and thought it would be great but when I went to the open day I absolutely hated it.

Things I wish I did differently; went to more open days BEFORE applying
- wish I didn't rush myself to meet the deadline my college set back in November.
I’d you haven’t already gone then DO NOT ATTEND UNIVERSITY IF YOU ARE NOT SURE.

Take a gap year (or several) and reconsider your options both university and vocational courses.
Reply 2
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I’d you haven’t already gone then DO NOT ATTEND UNIVERSITY IF YOU ARE NOT SURE.

Take a gap year (or several) and reconsider your options both university and vocational courses.

Honestly if clearing does not work out I reckon it would be best for me to take a gap year rather than end up going to a crappy uni but
Its just hard I'm 18 years old and feel like im about to ruin my whole future prospects and end up wasting time doing nothing
Take a gap year and get a job you don’t have to travel the whole year so you could save some money and apply to a course you acc want next year
Original post by umarc30
I guess my only chance now is clearing

Context: courses I applied for are Architecture & Architectural tech.

Cancel this year's UCAS application.
Register for Open Days at other Universities - most will be held around Easter amd/or the summer term.
Work your socks off to get the best grades you can get.
Apply in the autumn for 5 new choices/
Think about doing an Art and Design Foundaton course to fill next year (its a common prep for Arch degrees) - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas - or just get a job, any job.

PS. Changing your mind is perfectly okay - and admitting you made a mistake/didnt think things through is far better than starting a course/Uni you already know you dont want to do.
Reply 5
Take a gap year so you can properly consider what interests you.
Original post by umarc30
Honestly if clearing does not work out I reckon it would be best for me to take a gap year rather than end up going to a crappy uni but
Its just hard I'm 18 years old and feel like im about to ruin my whole future prospects and end up wasting time doing nothing

Why don’t you not attend university if applying is causing you so much anguish?
Original post by McGinger
Cancel this year's UCAS application.
Register for Open Days at other Universities - most will be held around Easter amd/or the summer term.
Work your socks off to get the best grades you can get.
Apply in the autumn for 5 new choices/
Think about doing an Art and Design Foundaton course to fill next year (its a common prep for Arch degrees) - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas - or just get a job, any job.

PS. Changing your mind is perfectly okay - and admitting you made a mistake/didnt think things through is far better than starting a course/Uni you already know you dont want to do.

I wouldn’t recommend an art foundation as someone who has done one.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Take a gap year so you can properly consider what interests you.

I know what I want to do . Architecture. Its just that I applied for not so great unis and i'm worried this will hinder my job prospects in the future as my business teacher keeps saying that employers look at the uni u went to more than anything. I didn't apply to any rlly great unis basically for fear of rejection when I should've taken the chance at least for one great uni. I understand its all my own fault so I can't push the blame on anyone but me
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by umarc30
I regret the choices I had made to which unis I applied for and I wish I had a time machine. I thought UCAS Extra could've saved me but I learn't I would have to reject all my current offers for that to work which is a risk im not willing to take. I guess my only chance now is clearing but I don't have high hopes for it working out. Another option could be a gap year and re-apply next year but I'm not well off it's not like I have money to be enjoying myself or going on holidays having fun during a gap year. I would just be depressed.

Context: courses I applied for are Architecture & Architectural tech. I was indecisive about the 2 courses hence why I applied for both (and basically wasted 2 spots on my application).
I wanted to go to Coventry and thought it would be great but when I went to the open day I absolutely hated it.

- wish I didn't rush myself to meet the deadline my college set back in November.

If you currently prefer the idea of a gap year to attending any of your choices then declining those choices to apply elsewhere through ucas Extra isn’t a risk…it’s just moving the gap year to a (good) plan d after extra (plan b) and clearing (plan c).
Original post by umarc30
I know what I want to do . Architecture. Its just that I applied for not so great unis and i'm worried this will hinder my job prospects in the future as my business teacher keeps saying that employers look at the uni u went to more than anything. I didn't apply to any rlly great unis basically for fear of rejection when I should've taken the chance at least for one great uni. I understand its all my own fault so I can't push the blame on anyone but me

In the past couple of years I have seen some very good architecture courses pop up in clearing. Although there is no guarantee that they will appear this year, I've seen Manchester, Cardiff, Lancaster, Liverpool, Newcastle and Oxford Brookes in there. UCLAN, Northumbria, Sheffield Hallam and others have also been in clearing. But do give serious consideration to a gap year if your choices are limited on results day.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
If you currently prefer the idea of a gap year to attending any of your choices then declining those choices to apply elsewhere through ucas Extra isn’t a risk…it’s just moving the gap year to a (good) plan d after extra (plan b) and clearing (plan c).

im not too fond of the gap year idea cuz I just wanna start asap not waste time but ofc if it was my last option then I'd have to take it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending