The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Parent(s) of University of York 2022

Hello to any parents of prospective 2022 students.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hello to any parents of prospective 2022 students.

Hi prospective parents!

If you have any questions about York, we're happy to help! We're recent graduates so we know what it's like to live and study at York :smile:

Hazel
University of York
York
Reply 2
Love York ! Loved the campus ! My concern is the following:
1. York do not appear on the University Guide Table this year - why and where are you normally placed?
2. Accommodation- we are feeling pressured to choose from our offers by York and having accommodation as first come first served adds to looking at the offers from other universities before all offer days can be completed.
3. Added to this we know the issue York had last year with accommodation and we are hearing that you opening firming accommodation from January 2022 is already leading to less choice and the worry of not being on campus even from having an offer. What is the truth to this - if we firm our offer in the next two weeks are we guaranteed campus accommodation at York?
4. If you continue to have this issue there is extreme worry about getting accommodation for year 2&3
5. Would love to also know if all subjects are back to face to face learning?
6. And how much strike action is happening and affecting courses?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Muzz321
Love York ! Loved the campus ! My concern is the following:
1. York do not appear on the University Guide Table this year - why and where are you normally placed?
2. Accommodation- we are feeling pressured to choose from our offers by York and having accommodation as first come first served adds to looking at the offers from other universities before all offer days can be completed.
3. Added to this we know the issue York had last year with accommodation and we are hearing that you opening firming accommodation from January 2022 is already leading to less choice and the worry of not being on campus even from having an offer. What is the truth to this - if we firm our offer in the next two weeks are we guaranteed campus accommodation at York?
4. If you continue to have this issue there is extreme worry about getting accommodation for year 2&3
5. Would love to also know if all subjects are back to face to face learning?
6. And how much strike action is happening and affecting courses?

Hi!

I'm glad you love York and the campus!

To answer your questions:

1. If you are referring to the Complete University Guide league table, we are ranked 18th for 2022 :smile:

2. I'm sorry to hear that you feel pressure to choose your offers. Although the accommodation is allocated by taking into the application date into account, our guarantee window is open until 9th June 2022, so that should give your student plenty of time to carefully consider all their offers.

3. If you apply to York as a new first-year undergraduate student for 2022/23 entry and receive an offer from us, we will guarantee you an offer of a room in single-occupancy accommodation that is owned, managed or approved by the University, provided that you complete the following steps by 9 June 2022:
- accept York as your firm choice
- submit your accommodation application and pay an advance payment of £200 to secure your room.

Insurance offer holders can still apply for accommodation but will not be eligible for our accommodation guarantee.

We've also opened two new colleges to increase capacity (Anne Lister opened in late 2021 and David Kato will be open from September 2022)

4. Most students in 2nd and 3rd year want to live off campus in private accommodation. We do have some on campus accommodation available as well. It's up to students to decide when to start looking for accommodation for the following year. In my first year, I signed for a student house in January for second year and then the following year I was far more organised and signed in late November! That was a few years ago though, so every year is different.

5. We're hoping that teaching will be face-to-face in September but the Covid 19 situation is always evolving! We have a Covid 19 information page for prospective students and a page for current students so I would check these for any updates, and if the situation changes, we would signpost any key information on these pages.

6. We have this page on our website with information about strike actions that are happening and FAQs including impact to teaching and support for students.

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Reply 4
Amazing information, thank you. Studying Marketing and the course is on there but not ranked now - sure it was before.
Original post by Muzz321
Amazing information, thank you. Studying Marketing and the course is on there but not ranked now - sure it was before.

Hi,

I'm just querying this with the team and will get back to you as soon as possible!

Reply 6
Thank you for this information, it’s really helpful.
My YP is planning to do History, the offer holder day was great, and definitely helped to make their mind up about York.
Obviously lots to do in the coming months, so no doubt we’ll have many questions 🤞😊
Hello,

My daughter has her grades and has firmed York.
When are they allocated accommodation?
Thanks
Reply 8
From what I’ve seen, as soon as they’ve firmed their offer they can book their accommodation with £200 deposit. I don’t think they’ll get allocated until they’ve achieved their results, but I’m not 100% sure about that.
From what I’ve seen, as soon as they’ve firmed their offer they can book their accommodation with £200 deposit. I don’t think they’ll get allocated until they’ve achieved their results, but I’m not 100% sure about that.

She is a gap year student so I was wondering if she still has to wait for results day?
Reply 10
Original post by University of York
Hi,

I'm just querying this with the team and will get back to you as soon as possible!

Hi Hazel, it’s appeared there today on the university guide for Marketing, thanks very much x
Hello,

My daughter has her grades and has firmed York.
When are they allocated accommodation?
Thanks

Hi,

Accommodation is allocated and room offers are sent out to all students on A Level results day in mid-August.

Hope this helps :smile:

Chris
Reply 12

Hi

Do you know when and how we need to pay the £200? My daughter did her accommodation application on Thursday, and I assumed she’d get an email to confirm, but nothing as yet.

Thanks
When we completed my daughters application, we had to pay £200 to complete the process. She received an email once we’d paid.
Reply 14
When we completed my daughters application, we had to pay £200 to complete the process. She received an email once we’d paid.

Thanks for your reply - we haven’t been given any info about paying yet. No ‘go to payment’ link or anything like that after she ranked her accommodation choices. Hmmm - bit weird. Will give them a call next week.
Original post by aw27
Thanks for your reply - we haven’t been given any info about paying yet. No ‘go to payment’ link or anything like that after she ranked her accommodation choices. Hmmm - bit weird. Will give them a call next week.

Hi,

You should receive an email with a link to pay the £200. The accommodation team is very busy, but if you don’t receive an email soon, I would drop them a message at [email protected] or give them a call at +44 (0)1904 322165.

Original post by Muzz321
Hi Hazel, it’s appeared there today on the university guide for Marketing, thanks very much x

Hi,

Ah that's great! I just heard back about the rankings so I thought I'd explain anyway!

Normally if we don't have a subject appear in a specific league table, it's because there is insufficient data to generate a ranking i.e. a low student count/small cohort. When the Complete University Guide was published in 2021, we had a small cohort for the Marketing degree which is why it wasn't showing on the league table. Each league table uses different metrics to generate a ranking, so the course may appear on some league tables but not others. I hope this helps!

Hi all,

Just to let you know, we have now confirmed the dates of our next Open Days:
- Friday 1 July
- Sunday 3 July

Booking is not yet open, but if you or your student is interested in visiting York, you can sign up for event updates and be the first to know when booking is open!

Reply 18
Hi,

You should receive an email with a link to pay the £200. The accommodation team is very busy, but if you don’t receive an email soon, I would drop them a message at [email protected] or give them a call at +44 (0)1904 322165.

Thanks Hazel - all sorted. We got the email.
Hi all,

Just to let you know, we have now confirmed the dates of our next Open Days:
- Friday 1 July
- Sunday 3 July

Booking is not yet open, but if you or your student is interested in visiting York, you can sign up for event updates and be the first to know when booking is open!

Hi,

is this worthwhile for offer holders or just really for the prospective 2023 intake? We couldn’t make the official offer holder days, but we would still like to have another look around now it has been firmed.

We went before when other unis were still on the table and we visited quite a few nationwide in a shortish time and it’s hard to distinguish between some!

so it would be nice to have another look now this is where my daughter will go.

Quick Reply

Latest