The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Physics Paper 3 7408/3 - 16 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did the AQA A Level Physics Paper 3 exam go for you?

AQA A Level Physics Paper 3 7408/3 - 16 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Thursday 16th June AM
Length: 2h

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

How long should you spend on practical vs. optional topic questions - proportionate to the available marks?
Reply 2
Turning points is literally the history of physics. So much content bruh.
What option is everyone else doing?
bro the AQA advanced info looks better than the OCR physics one but yeah
Original post by 2022 g

Astrophysics. I think it's my favorite part of the course.
Reply 5
Original post by penguingirl18
Astrophysics. I think it's my favorite part of the course.

Meanwhile I’m learning about the arguments scientist have with whether light is a particle or wave lol.
Glad to hear you’re enjoying it.
Icl as well as learning TP, its actually quite easy tbh, yet quite boring lol.
I’m guessing you find astrophysics quite easy right? Since its your fave :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Talkative Toad
bro the AQA advanced info looks better than the OCR physics one but yeah

In the end, the advanced info is quite useless tbh. Tells us to basically learn the whole spec lol.
Original post by 2022 g
In the end, the advanced info is quite useless tbh. Tells us to basically learn the whole spec lol.

yeah would have been better to tell students what wouldn't come up instead.
Reply 8
yeah would have been better to tell students what wouldn't come up instead.

Yeh would have been more helpful.
Have you seen Edexcel advanced info for physics?
They literally tell them the exact pages, to revise and learn from lol
Original post by 2022 g

dang the inconsistency is real (i do OCR so i'm the loser here)
Reply 10
dang the inconsistency is real (i do OCR so i'm the loser here)

Be happy youre not doing AQA. They go deep in content. Deeper then the sea..
Original post by 2022 g
Be happy youre not doing AQA. They go deep in content. Deeper then the sea..

yeah i'm not a fan of OCR or AQA tbh
Reply 12
yeah i'm not a fan of OCR or AQA tbh

Wait you’re doing your alevels this year right?
If so Goodluck to the both if us :smile:
Original post by 2022 g
Wait you’re doing your alevels this year right?
If so Goodluck to the both if us :smile:

Yeah
Original post by 2022 g
Meanwhile I’m learning about the arguments scientist have with whether light is a particle or wave lol.
Glad to hear you’re enjoying it.
Icl as well as learning TP, its actually quite easy tbh, yet quite boring lol.
I’m guessing you find astrophysics quite easy right? Since its your fave :smile:

Boringly easy can be a good thing, I guess.
I suppose astrophysics is one of the easier topics, but mostly I find it the most interesting. :smile: I thought scientific arguments were interesting too when I was reading in my free time, but I didn't want to do them for A level. What topic do you find most interesting? My textbook is Collins so there are a couple of funny anecdotes sprinkled in, like this really weird 1920s poem on the energy of a photon or another one on James Dewar written when he liquefied hydrogen. :rofl:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Boringly easy can be a good thing, I guess.
I suppose astrophysics is one of the easier topics, but mostly I find it the most interesting. :smile: I thought scientific arguments were interesting too when I was reading in my free time, but I didn't want to do them for A level. What topic do you find most interesting? My textbook is Collins so there are a couple of funny anecdotes sprinkled in, like this really weird 1920s poem on the energy of a photon or another one on James Dewar written when he liquefied hydrogen. :rofl:

Honestly the most interesting topic i find is, Millikan’s oil drop experiment. Where he calculated the charge of the oil droplets, using stokes’ law.
And that’s when he found out that charge can never exist in smaller quantities than 1.6x10-19 C. Which is the size of the charge carried by one electron.
Which lead to him being able to calculate the exact mass of an electron.
Hence finding out that the electron is the lightest particle ever discovered. During that time.
I actually enjoyed learning about this.
The light being a particle vs wave arguments, is ok but i just find it too boring. Probably because I’m trying to cram all this understanding in before exam day lol. As i have got a bit of content left to go before the exam, that I haven’t even covered.
Must be nice to have some free time :smile:
Do you know if we have to learn all the physics practicals for paper 3, or do we learn only the ones that AQA advanced info have given us?
Original post by 2022 g
Must be nice to have some free time :smile:
Do you know if we have to learn all the physics practicals for paper 3, or do we learn only the ones that AQA advanced info have given us?

That was a few years ago. :biggrin: I'm mostly just revising now.
I don't know? I'm learning them all for the practical endorsement. The advanced info seems pretty specific, but they said other topics could come up. :dontknow: I seem to remember reading somewhere that 90% of the marks will come from the advanced information though, so if you're pressed for time it seems reasonable to just revise the ones from the advanced info.
Reply 17
That was a few years ago. :biggrin: I'm mostly just revising now.
I don't know? I'm learning them all for the practical endorsement. The advanced info seems pretty specific, but they said other topics could come up. :dontknow: I seem to remember reading somewhere that 90% of the marks will come from the advanced information though, so if you're pressed for time it seems reasonable to just revise the ones from the advanced info.

Aha nicee :smile:
Hmm i doubt 90% will come from the advanced info itself. Cause it says “Topics not explicitly given in the list may appear in multiple-choice items, low tariff questions, or via synopticity”- for paper 1 and 2, nearly half the paper is MCQs. So I’m guessing, that if a candidate just learns the topics given in the advanced info, and nothing else. He/she may get like a grade A. But if the candidate has an understanding of all the topics in the spec, then the candidate has a higher chance of getting an A*. That’s how i thought it would work, but I’m probs wrong tbh. Oh well :biggrin:.

Where did you get the info that 90% of the marks are given in the advanced info? If that was the case, then that helps big time tbh. And makes the exam prep a lot less stressful.
Original post by 2022 g

we're doing engineering

Original post by 2022 g

but i think it's better for us that have been told less with the advanced info cos what one of my teachers from a different subject said was that the more specific info they give to u, the more they'd be likely to expect from u n grade boundaries would probably be higher like that
Reply 19
Original post by tinyturtle319
we're doing engineering

but i think it's better for us that have been told less with the advanced info cos what one of my teachers from a different subject said was that the more specific info they give to u, the more they'd be likely to expect from u n grade boundaries would probably be higher like that

Yeah that’s a fair point tbh
Dam you guys are doing engineering. That option looks intense Icl. Did you guys get to choose your options? And also how is engineering going for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending