The Student Room Group

Pharmacy degree

Degree with a higher paying salary (UK) than pharmacy ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Degree with a higher paying salary (UK) than pharmacy ?

Security guards, gardeners, delivery drivers earn more than a majority of community pharmacists and don't need a degree. You want to earn more than most pharmacists - do these!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by quasa
Security guards, gardeners, delivery drivers earn more than a majority of community pharmacists and don't need a degree. You want to warn more than most pharmacists - do these!

Also worth reminding that in Community Pharmacy there is no career structure. Extra qualifications and experience count for very little. CP is where 2/3 grads find employment.

Finishing your career more or less where you started is typical. And that also applies to salary.
Original post by Sarah H.
Also worth reminding that in Community Pharmacy there is no career structure. Extra qualifications and experience count for very little. CP is where 2/3 grads find employment.

Finishing your career more or less where you started is typical. And that also applies to salary.

I’m really confused I don’t know which degree to do could you give me some help?
I do biology chemistry and maths a levels
Is a pharmacy degree worth It in the uk ?
Will I be able to live a comfortable life of the salary? Im really confused since many ppl say they can’t afford a morgage please help
Is a pharmacy degree worth It in the uk ?

Will I be able to live a comfortable life of the salary? Im really confused since many ppl say they can’t afford a morgage please help

Which degree
Which is better prospect and degree in the uk?
Salary wise and employment rate.
Different websites in uk say different things
Which unis have interview for pharmacy degree Mpharm in uk
As far as I know, Manchester, Cardiff, and Birmingham
Lowest entry requirements for pharmacy degree in the uk

All unis have to interview for mpharm

foundation degree courses are generally CCC last I checked but have no idea since the pandemic started how it has changed
£46,788 base salary according to Indeed https://uk.indeed.com/career/pharmacist/salaries. However, most pharmacists I know earn between £55,000 - £75,000. I was on £65,000 as an employee before I became a locum due to family reasons. In healthcare, only consultants earn more than pharmacists. Pharmacists earn way more than nurses, foundation doctors etc.
F1 £18
F2 £21
ST1-2 £25
ST3-5 £31
ST6-8 £37
Cons £60
(edited 2 years ago)

If you don't mind where you study, then somewhere will probably take you through Clearing with CCC.

I think you need to focus on finding out about each profession and what work you would actually be doing all day.
(It's no good earning £40/45k a year as a community pharmacist if you hate the general public, or are extremely shy, etc.)

If I was you I would do plenty of research on jobs/careers that interest you, and then find out what degree you would need and the entry requirements. Your 6th form careers teacher or equivalent should be able to point you to suitable online resources. It may be worth doing a Myers-Briggs personality type quiz too, that helps match your personal qualities to suitable careers.

As Ecolier has noted, you are asking strings of questions, where you could pretty easily find the answers online.

(Regarding the figures quoted by one poster, they work in an area of the UK with a shortage of pharmacists. those salary figures are not typical of the average across the UK.)
Careers in Pharmacy - online talk from Uni of Bath - 17 May - https://www.bath.ac.uk/forms/register-for-the-discover-a-career-in-pharmacy-at-bath-webinar/

Where can a degree in Chemistry take you - TOMORROW 10 May - https://www.bath.ac.uk/forms/webinar-where-can-a-chemistry-degree-from-bath-take-you/

Almost every uni.
Original post by mrlittlebigman
If you don't mind where you study, then somewhere will probably take you through Clearing with CCC.

I think you need to focus on finding out about each profession and what work you would actually be doing all day.
(It's no good earning £40/45k a year as a community pharmacist if you hate the general public, or are extremely shy, etc.)

If I was you I would do plenty of research on jobs/careers that interest you, and then find out what degree you would need and the entry requirements. Your 6th form careers teacher or equivalent should be able to point you to suitable online resources. It may be worth doing a Myers-Briggs personality type quiz too, that helps match your personal qualities to suitable careers.

As Ecolier has noted, you are asking strings of questions, where you could pretty easily find the answers online.

(Regarding the figures quoted by one poster, they work in an area of the UK with a shortage of pharmacists. those salary figures are not typical of the average across the UK.)

Would that user be Claremont :smile:
There’s a lovely user on here who says that pharmacy is the best of all worlds when it comes down to it. Brilliant earning potential, please don’t listen to salty negativity, part time work is 100% feasible and very good working conditions.
I’m really confused I don’t know which degree to do could you give me some help?
I do biology chemistry and maths a levels

Natural Science - flexible multi-science degree program, many possible career pathways.
Lancaster - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/
Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/topics/natural-sciences/
Etc, etc

Or... Pharmacology, Medicinal Chemistry, Neuroscience, Medical Sciences, Biomedical Technology, Virology, Genetics, Immunology, Mathematical Sciences etc etc. Look for degrees with placements, industry experience or study abroad - this adds hugely to your graduate CV.
Original post by quasa
Security guards, gardeners, delivery drivers earn more than a majority of community pharmacists and don't need a degree. You want to earn more than most pharmacists - do these!

This is true, I have had 2 potential gardeners this Spring that wanted £20/hour!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending