The Student Room Group

maths gcse

im top class for maths and i got my gcse booklet and i have a option of further maths but if i dont pick that my teacher picks if i go to foundation or higher maths. i failed my most recent test so im panicking because if i dont pick further they will put me in foundation. but i dont wanna do foundation so should i pick further even though its really hard? someone please answer thank you
Reply 1
If they gave you the option to pick further maths. Do you really think, they’ll be considering you as a foundation level student, for not choosing it?
No bruh, obviously not.
You’ll be fine bro.
Just relax :smile:
If you don’t want to do further maths. Then don’t do further maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by veet777
im top class for maths and i got my gcse booklet and i have a option of further maths but if i dont pick that my teacher picks if i go to foundation or higher maths. i failed my most recent test so im panicking because if i dont pick further they will put me in foundation. but i dont wanna do foundation so should i pick further even though its really hard? someone please answer thank you

Are you saying that if you opt to do Further Maths then your teacher has no option but to enter you for Higher Tier Maths, but that if you don't opt for Further Maths then he/she will decide whether you should do Foundation Tier or Higher Tier Maths? Strange.

So your choice is to take Further Maths (even though you don't want to take it) just to force your teacher to enter you for Higher Tier Maths, or not take Further Maths and risk your teacher putting you in Foundation Tier Maths, which you don't want. Have I got that right?

If you're placed in Foundation Tier Maths are you then stuck there - there's no chance of being moved up if your grades improve?

You say "im top class for maths". What does that mean? Are you in the top set (or band, or whatever your school calls it) for Maths? Surely that means you're pretty good at maths, even if you "failed" your most recent test?

Don't let your concerns about what Maths Tier your teacher will place you in sway your decision about Further Maths. If you want to take Further Maths, take it. If you don't, don't. If you end up in Foundation Tier as a result, and you think that's the wrong decision, then prove your teacher wrong by consistently doing well on tests and campaign to be moved to Higher Tier.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Are you saying that if you opt to do Further Maths then your teacher has no option but to enter you for Higher Tier Maths, but that if you don't opt for Further Maths then he/she will decide whether you should do Foundation Tier or Higher Tier Maths? Strange.

So your choice is to take Further Maths (even though you don't want to take it) just to force your teacher to enter you for Higher Tier Maths, or not take Further Maths and risk your teacher putting you in Foundation Tier Maths, which you don't want. Have I got that right?

If you're placed in Foundation Tier Maths are you then stuck there - there's no chance of being moved up if your grades improve?

You say "im top class for maths". What does that mean? Are you in the top set (or band, or whatever your school calls it) for Maths? Surely that means you're pretty good at maths, even if you "failed" your most recent test?

Don't let your concerns about what Maths Tier your teacher will place you in sway your decision about Further Maths. If you want to take Further Maths, take it. If you don't, don't. If you end up in Foundation Tier as a result, and you think that's the wrong decision, then prove your teacher wrong by consistently doing well on tests and campaign to be moved to Higher Tier.
yeah im top set but if i move down sets cuz i got 27 percent on a foundation paper and im in year 9 so they gonna move me down and in my school only like 2 or 3 kids in set 2 go to higher tier. the further maths option is available to anyone in something we call pathways. pathway 1 really good, pathway 4 the worst. i got pathway 3 and im a set 5 student and my only good class is set 1 maths. but yeah thank you i an still deciding and do u have any advice on what gcse options i should take for accounting?
Reply 4
Original post by veet777
yeah im top set but if i move down sets cuz i got 27 percent on a foundation paper and im in year 9 so they gonna move me down and in my school only like 2 or 3 kids in set 2 go to higher tier. the further maths option is available to anyone in something we call pathways. pathway 1 really good, pathway 4 the worst. i got pathway 3 and im a set 5 student and my only good class is set 1 maths. but yeah thank you i an still deciding and do u have any advice on what gcse options i should take for accounting?

What do you mean by further maths? You're in year nine and still doing foundation papers... are you doing something like CCEA GCSE where it's a different curriculum?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ItsOkay
What do you mean by further maths? You're in year nine and still doing foundation papers... are you doing something like CCEA GCSE where it's a different curriculum?

my maths teacher gave us a foundation gcse paper to see our level and i got 27 percent, i missed half the term and i usually skive lessons when i am upset so i think thats why but yeah idk what to do
Original post by ItsOkay

By Further Maths I assume that OP means "AQA Certificate Level 2 Further Mathematics". See https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/aqa-certificate/further-mathematics-8365.
Reply 7
Original post by veet777
my maths teacher gave us a foundation gcse paper to see our level and i got 27 percent, i missed half the term and i usually skive lessons when i am upset so i think thats why but yeah idk what to do

Alright, trust me bro, if you don't want to pick 'further' maths, then don't pick it. However, please don't 'skive' any more maths lessons, as that will persuade the teachers to send you in a lower set than any bad grade ever will. If you want to maintain being in high set, start studying lightly now, such as trigonometry and ratios. Youtubers can help greatly with this sort of thing. It will boost your grades dramatically, and you'll see that you could get 80% or better on the higher tests after a couple of months.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ItsOkay
Alright, trust me bro, if you don't want to pick 'further' maths, then don't pick it. However, please don't 'skive' any more maths lessons, as that will persuade the teachers to send you in a lower set then any bad grade ever will. If you want to maintain being in high set, start studying lightly now, such as trigonometry and ratios. Youtubers can help greatly with this sort of thing. It will boost your grades dramatically, and you'll see that you could get 80% or better on the higher tests after a couple of months.

tysm and yeah i will study thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest