The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath accomodation

So I got an offer from Bath to study Politics & IR in early February and I am starting to feel as though I probably will end up going to Bath (but I am still waiting on 2 unis so).

Im wondering what accommodation is best at Bath. I would say I am very sociable and like going out a lot etc and want to be around people like that. I have heard QUADS is the best for this kind of vibe but are there any alternative options just cos I know not many people get into QUADS cos its so popular haha.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I got an offer from Bath to study Politics & IR in early February and I am starting to feel as though I probably will end up going to Bath (but I am still waiting on 2 unis so).

Im wondering what accommodation is best at Bath. I would say I am very sociable and like going out a lot etc and want to be around people like that. I have heard QUADS is the best for this kind of vibe but are there any alternative options just cos I know not many people get into QUADS cos its so popular haha.

Quads is definitely very sociable. The rooms are tiny but there are big communal social areas . Eastwood is sociable too. Larger rooms, no en suite, much cheaper.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102789 for big accomodation thread
Original post by scoope
Quads is definitely very sociable. The rooms are tiny but there are big communal social areas . Eastwood is sociable too. Larger rooms, no en suite, much cheaper.

What is your opinion on Norwood??
Reply 4
What is your opinion on Norwood??

I’m not actually at Bath my brother is, but I asked him bc I had an offer from Bath too and he just said Quads or Eastwood for being sociable and big enough to still be around plenty of ppl if there are future lockdowns or having to isolate. He also said they were well located on campus. Idk about others,
Original post by scoope
.... for being sociable

Sociable will always depend on the mix of people living there each year.
Its people that make a social life - not a building.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Sociable will always depend on the mix of people living there each year.
Its people that make a social life - not a building.

Agreed but if you’re in an accommodation block with 10-20 others you’re prob more likely to find like minded ppl than in a block of 4-6 IMO. on the open day the accommodation guides said the same.
Ooh nice, where else did u apply??
Reply 8
Ooh nice, where else did u apply??

Notts, birmingham, Liverpool and Southampton. Hopefully going to Nottingham. Bath was my back up option.
Original post by scoope
Notts, birmingham, Liverpool and Southampton. Hopefully going to Nottingham. Bath was my back up option.

Oooh, nice Nottingham is meant to be great! I applied to Bath (offer), Sheffield (offer), Durham (rejection XD), Edinburgh (waiting), UCL (waiting)...

Hi there! My name is Leah and I am a final year University of Bath student. Congrats on your offer :smile:

Firslty, I would recommend having a look at these two Student Room threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431180
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6422034
A couple of years ago one of my ambassador colleagues gave a detailed outline of the different accomodation options in those threads so it's a very useful resource.

As other people have said, the best thing you can do is choose an accomodation with lots of people in a flat. I think standard vs. en-suite and catered vs. self-catered does not make much difference to how sociable an accomodation is. Westwood, Eastwood and Norwood all have big flat sizes (I lived in Westwood in a flat of 24 people in first year so it was easy to find some people who were similar to you). I personally think Eastwood is quite good as the accomodation is arranged houses so there is a nice community vibe in the flat and you are not spread across 2/3 kitchens (which is the case in Westwood).

As you have said, en-suite accomodation tends to be oversubscribed so even if you apply for it you are not guaranteed to get it. I'd recommend having a couple of en-suite options (if that's your preference) and also include your preferred standard accomodation. Quads and Woodland Court are quite big, Malborough and Solsbury Court a bit smaller.

Ultimately it does not really make a huge difference where you end up. How sociable your flat is and how well you get on your housemates is complete luck on who you end up living with, which is not something you can control! I would recommend seeing which your prefer based on practicalities, appearance and budget and go from them. I know it can feel like a big decision but it does not make too much difference at the end of the day :smile:

Please feel free to quote me if you have any further questions!

Leah
Final Year Chemical Engineering
Reply 11

Hello, I’ve just firmed Bath for Politics and IR! I’m torn between Quads, Woodland Court and Marlborough/Salsbury Court. Currently I’m leaning towards Quads as it has more social space, despite having smaller rooms than Woodland.
Although tbh, I don’t think there’s that much difference between the two as a large number of people share the kitchens, meaning you’re likely to find people you get on with, and they’re situated right by each other.
Original post by Lottyw
Hello, I’ve just firmed Bath for Politics and IR! I’m torn between Quads, Woodland Court and Marlborough/Salsbury Court. Currently I’m leaning towards Quads as it has more social space, despite having smaller rooms than Woodland.
Although tbh, I don’t think there’s that much difference between the two as a large number of people share the kitchens, meaning you’re likely to find people you get on with, and they’re situated right by each other.

Ooohhh congrats! I am still waiting on UCL and Edinburgh but if I get rejected from both I'm planning on firming Bath :smile:

One of my mates who is gonna enter 3rd year in September was in Woodland Court and said it was really expensive and she regretted picking it, just a heads up. I honestly prefer Norwood the most in regards to looks etc but feel as though I will put Quads first on my list if I do firm it, just cos its well known to be the best accommodation and also its just sociable haha.

Where else did u apply??
I’m in Eastwood at the moment. There’s 13 of us which is a really nice number. We’re definitely a very sociable house and I know a lot of other Eastwood houses that are. It’s a a fair amount cheaper than quads too, and sharing bathrooms is not an issue at all.

Quick Reply