The Student Room Group

Official Biomedical Science 2022 university applicant thread

Hi This is the Biomedical Science applicant thread for the 2022 start.

So will start this off so feel free to answer below and anything else you wish to add :smile:

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extracurriculars:

Mod note: The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room, and are set up by members of the community. Please do take this into account when entering your details into this form. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/staying-safe-on-the-student-room

Google form to track offers: https://forms.gle/hSYRUuHB1ruGAMRS7
Link to spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OiXj63uBHixF7e2s4C7SJBolZwqZ7fYv6bi7ZPuGzG0/edit?usp=sharing
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi can someone make a spreadsheet to track offers?
Original post by 1Bu8di

Where have you guys got offers from so far? I applied for biomed to KCL, Imperial, Leeds, Bristol and Birmingham and have one offer from Bristol so far.
Reply 3
Original post by 1Bu8di

added it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Squishy05
added it

Thanks! but it doesn't allow me to add to the google form - it says only ppl of the same group can?
Reply 5
Original post by 1Bu8di
Thanks! but it doesn't allow me to add to the google form - it says only ppl of the same group can?

try now
Reply 6
Offers from Birmingham and Newcastle AAB and Exeter ABB. only had quick tour of Birmingham campus. Campus nice but building for biomed did not look nice. Anyone go inside it and see more of it?
Reply 7
Original post by Elie2021
Offers from Birmingham and Newcastle AAB and Exeter ABB. only had quick tour of Birmingham campus. Campus nice but building for biomed did not look nice. Anyone go inside it and see more of it?

Yeah I got an offer from Birmingham (at AAB) and I'm hoping to go on the offer-holder visit day to see the inside of the building more.
Reply 8
I've applied for biomedical science at York, Lancaster, Surrey, Lincoln and Sheffield and I've got all my offers back. I'm thinking of choosing Lancaster as my firm option and Lincoln as my insurance but I'd be happy to go to either one, honestly.
The offer I got from Lancaster is BBC and I got an unconditional offer from Lincoln since I live in a deprived area 💀.
Has anyone else applied to Lancaster or Lincoln and is thinking of going there?
Original post by Maci.
I've applied for biomedical science at York, Lancaster, Surrey, Lincoln and Sheffield and I've got all my offers back. I'm thinking of choosing Lancaster as my firm option and Lincoln as my insurance but I'd be happy to go to either one, honestly.
The offer I got from Lancaster is BBC and I got an unconditional offer from Lincoln since I live in a deprived area 💀.

Hi @Maci.,

Congratulations on your offer to study with us here at the University of Lincoln!

Biomedical Science at Lincoln is ranked 4th in the UK for overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2021 (out of 74 ranking institutions). It is also accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS), the professional body for those who work within the field of biomedical science.

You may be interested in chatting with our UniBuddy Student Ambassadors, who can give their experiences on living and learning here in Lincoln! You can chat to them here.

You can also talk to our dedicated enquiries team, who will be happy to assist with any questions you may have! You can contact them on 01522 886644 or [email protected].

Olivia :smile:
Original post by ameliawalker
Where have you guys got offers from so far? I applied for biomed to KCL, Imperial, Leeds, Bristol and Birmingham and have one offer from Bristol so far.

Current Biomed student at Bristol here. Just heads up that if you choose to go here for Biomed, every week you will be given "guest speakers/substitute teachers" for each module. So for a single module, you can end up with as many as 10 different lecturers that teach that week's topic. A module runs for about 12 weeks so almost every week you will have a different speaker/ lecturer. This will mean that you won't know most of your professors at all and feel like you're just another customer at the airport going through. Now imagine having 3 or 4 modules each semester...You will feel truly lost and not know who to turn to. Additionally, (and I know many students have complained about this) many of the lecturers who are mainly researchers, are not really qualified to teach in terms of techniques they apply imho. Also, a lesser issue is that some "lecturers" English isn't their first language, but they won't provide notes or any means to make it easier for students to understand.
Perhaps a better idea would be to have one or two competent lecturers for each module, instead, who can teach and explain concepts in a clear and concise manner, but for some reason, the uni won't do that. Perhaps the university is short on funds, and cost-cutting on hiring qualified teaching staff, and many have left in recent years to move on to better opportunities. Note this is not a complaint about the staff themselves, but the way the course is structured. Just so you have all the info when you make your choice. As I didn't.
Original post by Maci.

Hi there!

To introduce myself I’m Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity. It's great to hear you have applied to Surrey and received an offer. If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, then please ask as I am here to help you out :smile:

Joao
Economics
Reply 12
Original post by Maci.

I ended up firming my Lancaster offer. I put down lincoln as my insurance. : )
URGENT: I have an offer for MBiol biomed AAA. My firm uni also has given me an offer of AAA. According to Leeds website the standard offer for BSc biomed is AAB.

Can I take the risk of putting Leeds as my insurance even though it has the same grades AA as my firm and hope that if I do get AAB they will still accept me (onto the BSc instead of MBiol).

Has anyone been in a similar position before?
hi everyone! my friend wants to apply to biomed next year, and shes interested in taking an additional course related to business management

from what i know, imperial has this option, but other than imperial are there other unis that have this option too?
Hello everyone, I have a firm offer from Aston and my insurance choice is Nottingham Trent
URGENT Help needed on my Clearing application ( I have already recieved my results)

Good afternoon, Tanujj here
I am an international applicant from a CBSE (Indian High School Background) wanting to apply for the BSc Biomedical Sciences program commencing September this year.

I do have my Grade 12 (Final Year) Official results with me, and after sending them a mail and having a chat with admissions, they confirmed that I do meet and exceed the entry requirements for the course.

Since they said this, I asked them, after applying through UCAS clearing for the course, "would I be given an unconditional offer or not "?, as I clearly exceed the entry requirements required.
To that, they said they can't be sure as they would have to go through my personal statement and references, and the offer is not guaranteed. I didn't quite understand this.

As with other universities, they did make me an Unconditional Verbal offer on the email/ chat, after I'd told them my results, and then encouraged me to apply through the UCAS portal.

So before I apply to Sheffield through UCAS, I want to be sure that I would be made an offer based on my achieved grades/results. As, this is my ONLY chance to get an offer through clearing at this point.

I talked to, [email protected] (+44 114 222 2341), and the above were their responses, additionally, they told me they don't deal with biomedical sciences applications directly recived through clearing and that there is a different team for that.
Hence, could you please give me the contact/phone number team who deals with the clearing applications directly?, so that I can contact them and discuss my application directly with them, whilst sharing my UCAS ID, so they can see my full application.

The clearing hotline only starts from A-Level Results day, and I don't want to wait that for that long, as I already have my results in hand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending