The Student Room Group

How many times should I be going over my flashcards a day? Spaced-repition?

How can I ogranise my flashcard reviews with spaced repition and how many times a day? Bio/chem btw..

Yesterday I spent a whole day making about 200 flashcards for bio ch 1: 111111111.png Is this a useful way of revising considering it took a long time to make them :/ ive got another 23 chapters to go....
(edited 5 years ago)
You could try the Pomodoro Method
Original post by shohaib712
How can I ogranise my flashcard reviews with spaced repition and how mnay times a day? Bio/chem btw..

I wouldn't try to be too prescriptive over this. How many times do you go over them already? And is this examination preparation, or just learning stuff?
Original post by Wooord
You could try the Pomodoro Method

Whats that? Never heard of it before.
I ditched flashcards for biology as they take too much time to make due to the amount of content there is in biology. I don't think it's worth it.
I advise simply adding to these notes: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5062288
Then take the rest of the time to memorise and understand this content.
Original post by Reality Check
I wouldn't try to be too prescriptive over this. How many times do you go over them already? And is this examination preparation, or just learning stuff?

Haven't started reviewing yet. Kind of both as im now completing as many questions as I can find (so far finished textbook questions from both the CGP and OCR book and some online worksheets). The questions I get wrong/have difficulty answering I turn them into flashcards. Ive also turned my notes into question flashcards as well.
Whats that? Never heard of it before.

https://youtu.be/mNBmG24djoY
How can I ogranise my flashcard reviews with spaced repition and how many times a day? Bio/chem btw..

Yesterday I spent a whole day making about 200 flashcards for bio ch 1: 111111111.png Is this a useful way of revising considering it took a long time to make them :/ ive got another 23 chapters to go....

I personally think this is a bit of a waste of time. Particularly given it looks like you've done them in Quizlet?
Original post by Reality Check
I personally think this is a bit of a waste of time. Particularly given it looks like you've done them in Quizlet?

Done them on cram. I can definetly say that im absorbing the content better - probably from the repetition though (I wrote rough notes from both textbooks, then condensed and summarised then did ques and made flashcards). But I did get pretty much every question correct so it seems to be working atm... I'm starting to prefer flashcards as its more practical and I feel more inclined to want to review them instead of reading the notes i wrote on A4 paper.
Done them on cram. I can definetly say that im absorbing the content better - probably from the repetition though (I wrote rough notes from both textbooks, then condensed and summarised then did ques and made flashcards). But I did get pretty much every question correct so it seems to be working atm... I'm starting to prefer flashcards as its more practical and I feel more inclined to want to review them instead of reading the notes i wrote on A4 paper.

Well, that's what matters then. It's clearly working for you.
I think you should do handwritten flashcards and they shouldn't be too much.I had about 120 for bio and 150 for chem. Both AS and A2. Yours seems a bit excessive if you're already at 200.
There's a great video on spaced repetition, a technique I used at A level and it got me an A* in chem and an A in bio this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE&t=529s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNHHpXoMM&t=1s

The forgetting curve is different for each person but personally what I would do is if I reviewed x topic today, I would review it again briefly the next day then after 3 days then a week, a month.Then enventually the topic is so embedded in your mind its unforgettable.Each time you review you interrupt your forgetting curve, this technique is so effective because come exam time I knew the whole spec inside and out.
Original post by madememindup
I think you should do handwritten flashcards and they shouldn't be too much.I had about 120 for bio and 150 for chem. Both AS and A2. Yours seems a bit excessive if you're already at 200.
There's a great video on spaced repetition, a technique I used at A level and it got me an A* in chem and an A in bio this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE&t=529s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNHHpXoMM&t=1s

The forgetting curve is different for each person but personally what I would do is if I reviewed x topic today, I would review it again briefly the next day then after 3 days then a week, a month.Then enventually the topic is so embedded in your mind its unforgettable.Each time you review you interrupt your forgetting curve, this technique is so effective because come exam time I knew the whole spec inside and out.

Thanks. Did you make question based flashcards? or did you just write condensed notes onto the flashcards and revised over them?
Thanks. Did you make question based flashcards? or did you just write condensed notes onto the flashcards and revised over them?

I made condensed notes which is something in hindsight I really regret. Question based flashcard on exam questions would have been better as you're doing active recall rather than passively reading condensed flashcard which become more of a chore. You have to test yourself on the flashcard first before looking at them so question based flashcards are imo 100x better.
Original post by madememindup
I made condensed notes which is something in hindsight I really regret. Question based flashcard on exam questions would have been better as you're doing active recall rather than passively reading condensed flashcard which become more of a chore. You have to test yourself on the flashcard first before looking at them so question based flashcards are imo 100x better.

Thanks! Thats what im pretty much doing. I think the reason why I got up to 200 flashcards for Bio ch 1 was because I was repeating some of the stuff (I have like 3 which are about the role of cytoskeleton/lots of micrograph images that need labelling) and went into detail on things which arent neccessary (e.g.types of slides and how to prepare them, stages of producing slides for EM). I did ch 1 for chemistry have about 25 flashcards for that :smile: So im going to pretty much cut out the BS and stick to the things I need to know. Also Ive decided that im going to stick with online flashcards. But when I get to doing past papers - I'll write the hard/repetitive-long questions on actual flashcards and also make predicted questions/mechanisms and practical questions on real flashcards. The online ones are just for learning the content.
Thanks! Thats what im pretty much doing. I think the reason why I got up to 200 flashcards for Bio ch 1 was because I was repeating some of the stuff (I have like 3 which are about the role of cytoskeleton/lots of micrograph images that need labelling) and went into detail on things which arent neccessary (e.g.types of slides and how to prepare them, stages of producing slides for EM). I did ch 1 for chemistry have about 25 flashcards for that :smile: So im going to pretty much cut out the BS and stick to the things I need to know. Also Ive decided that im going to stick with online flashcards. But when I get to doing past papers - I'll write the hard/repetitive-long questions on actual flashcards and also make predicted questions/mechanisms and practical questions on real flashcards. The online ones are just for learning the content.

That’s great you seem like a determined individual so I’m sure you’ll get the grades you want if you work at it. Best of luck you’ll need it!
Do it when you need to
Original post by dontripjeff
Do it when you need to

or something

Latest