The Student Room Group

Edexcel paper 3

Done a paper 3 mock today and I found it so difficult to analyse the resource booklet

Any tips on how to understand the resource booklet properly or tips in answering questions with the resource booklet?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by manlikesterkz
Done a paper 3 mock today and I found it so difficult to analyse the resource booklet

Any tips on how to understand the resource booklet properly or tips in answering questions with the resource booklet?

im doing as edexcel right now and im hoping to continue it in a-level. but let me tell you something. i used a resource booklet during gcse edexcel so here's my tips
highlight key points/black out irrelevant points - helps you to focus a bit on the important stuff
do not adapt the resource to your question, adapt your answer to fit what you'll put in the resource OR only use the resoucrse if you got a good answer.

but im hoping you can help me too

i need 12 mark and 20 mark question structures bc my as exam in next wednesday and i would really love to do well.
Original post by JA03
im doing as edexcel right now and im hoping to continue it in a-level. but let me tell you something. i used a resource booklet during gcse edexcel so here's my tips
highlight key points/black out irrelevant points - helps you to focus a bit on the important stuff
do not adapt the resource to your question, adapt your answer to fit what you'll put in the resource OR only use the resoucrse if you got a good answer.

but im hoping you can help me too

i need 12 mark and 20 mark question structures bc my as exam in next wednesday and i would really love to do well.

Forgot to mention I do a level geography. Do you need structures for a level?
Forgot to mention I do a level geography. Do you need structures for a level?

do you do edexcel? because i know different exam boards have different essay type questions.
Original post by JA03
do you do edexcel? because i know different exam boards have different essay type questions.

i do edexcel

for 12 markers (assess)
- Introduction to your argument and then say that there are other factors that can influence such as .... should only be around 2 sentences long
- first paragraph: you have a point and then put it in a case study relevant to the point and make sure your case studies are detailed. After you explain how that case study is relevant to your point (this shows) and then you link that explanation back to your point (therefore)
- you do the same structure for 3 paragraphs
- conclusion - you must come up with an answer stating which is the most significant factor and why. Compare that reason to other factors to show why its most important.
- if you don't have time for a conclusion you should evaluate throughout. This works best when you plan the essay. You can evaluate throughout by stating which is the most/least significant factor at the start of a paragraph.

For a 20 marker (evaluate, to what extent), you do the same thing but you evaluate at the end of each paragraph by saying a counterpoint, advantages/disadvantages.
i do edexcel

for 12 markers (assess)
- Introduction to your argument and then say that there are other factors that can influence such as .... should only be around 2 sentences long
- first paragraph: you have a point and then put it in a case study relevant to the point and make sure your case studies are detailed. After you explain how that case study is relevant to your point (this shows) and then you link that explanation back to your point (therefore)
- you do the same structure for 3 paragraphs
- conclusion - you must come up with an answer stating which is the most significant factor and why. Compare that reason to other factors to show why its most important.
- if you don't have time for a conclusion you should evaluate throughout. This works best when you plan the essay. You can evaluate throughout by stating which is the most/least significant factor at the start of a paragraph.

For a 20 marker (evaluate, to what extent), you do the same thing but you evaluate at the end of each paragraph by saying a counterpoint, advantages/disadvantages.

ok, i was told that most 20 markers are on regeneration eq2 so say i was evaluating how successful the san fran bay area is, do i say the advantages and disadvantages of how san fran is successful on the people?
Original post by JA03
ok, i was told that most 20 markers are on regeneration eq2 so say i was evaluating how successful the san fran bay area is, do i say the advantages and disadvantages of how san fran is successful on the people?

also!! thank you so much, im hoping this will help me in my exam! any tips before i go in on wednesday
Original post by JA03

yes, you'd argue that it's been successful but not for everyone e.g cost of living
Original post by JA03
also!! thank you so much, im hoping this will help me in my exam! any tips before i go in on wednesday

make sure to plan your long answers and remember your case studies
yes, you'd argue that it's been successful but not for everyone e.g cost of living

that is super helpful!! thank you so much. just curious, what did you get in AS geography? bc im estimated is a b rn
Original post by JA03
that is super helpful!! thank you so much. just curious, what did you get in AS geography? bc im estimated is a b rn

My school doesn't do AS but I'm predicted an A for A2
My school doesn't do AS but I'm predicted an A for A2

Not Op but do you have any revision tips for geo in general? Esp for coasts?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mystudentlife
Not Op but do you have any revision tips for geo in general? Esp for coasts?

Coasts is my worst topic but to be good at it, you're going to have to memorise and understand the different types of processes (how depositional landforms are formed etc) because you get 2 6, and an 8 marker where you analyse or explain and you don't wanna waffle in the question because its very easy for an examiner to catch you out. I'd recommend flashcards for that. You also get a 20 marker so you'll need to know your case studies in detail and apply the same essay structure I mentioned earlier for evaluate questions.

I'd also recommend making a glossary of key terms as you'll need to define them for ao1 marks and create flashcards for case studies (there's some pre made ones on quizlet if you have exams next month)
Coasts is my worst topic but to be good at it, you're going to have to memorise and understand the different types of processes (how depositional landforms are formed etc) because you get 2 6, and an 8 marker where you analyse or explain and you don't wanna waffle in the question because its very easy for an examiner to catch you out. I'd recommend flashcards for that. You also get a 20 marker so you'll need to know your case studies in detail and apply the same essay structure I mentioned earlier for evaluate questions.

I'd also recommend making a glossary of key terms as you'll need to define them for ao1 marks and create flashcards for case studies (there's some pre made ones on quizlet if you have exams next month)

Okay thanks, I feel like I understand the content idk why the questions just don’t go well for me regarding coasts!! Are you in y13?
Original post by mystudentlife
Okay thanks, I feel like I understand the content idk why the questions just don’t go well for me regarding coasts!! Are you in y13?

yes im y13 and I still do struggle with coasts. For the 6/8 explain questions its all ao1 so you want to throw in all your knowledge with logical chains of reasons.and in analyse questions its a mix of ao1 and ao2 you should describe the figure and then explain reasons for what you have described

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending