The Student Room Group

Guidance on the type of universities

Hi, I plan to study a master's in international relations, I would like to receive information and advice from students who have previously studied this program
(edited 2 years ago)
It's not as if in the South or North all the good universities are on either end lmao. You need to do your own research for this...how are you trying to do a degree and apply to unis when you won't even do your own research?
Reply 2
Original post by LawApplicant03
It's not as if in the South or North all the good universities are on either end lmao. You need to do your own research for this...how are you trying to do a degree and apply to unis when you won't even do your own research?

Thank you for your reply, I have previously searched for universities, but I would like to get other points of view. What do you think of these universities if you can rank them for me regardless of the evaluation? I would like to take a general idea in terms of the city and the best campus, the University of Edinburgh - Newcastle - Brighton - Glasgow
Original post by Faisal25
Thank you for your reply, I have previously searched for universities, but I would like to get other points of view. What do you think of these universities if you can rank them for me regardless of the evaluation? I would like to take a general idea in terms of the city and the best campus, the University of Edinburgh - Newcastle - Brighton - Glasgow

Rankings don't mean anything. But in terms of popularity, Glasgow and Edinburgh are probably the most competitive out of your choices. Edinburgh marginally by Glasgow. All four have a really good city/social life. If I was you, I'd personally go to Edinburgh only because the city is gorgeous. Newcastle is a really nice place too.
Reply 4
Hello, I plan to study a master's in international relations, what do you think of this program and what universities are suitable for it, which cities are better, south or north? I have never been in UK so please help, regards

Actually I would love more information about the “international relations so If you know someone who has studied it, please let me know
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by LawApplicant03
Rankings don't mean anything. But in terms of popularity, Glasgow and Edinburgh are probably the most competitive out of your choices. Edinburgh marginally by Glasgow. All four have a really good city/social life. If I was you, I'd personally go to Edinburgh only because the city is gorgeous. Newcastle is a really nice

Thanks this was really helpful
Actually I would love more information about the “international relations so If you know someone who has studied it, please let me know

What made you decide to pursue a Masters in IR? What was your undergrad on?
Reply 7
Original post by journeyaway
What made you decide to pursue a Masters in IR? What was your undergrad on?

Honestly, because l like this type of program, even though my bachelor's degree was from a different program
I heard that St Andrews has a good reputation for international relations, have you looked at them?

I'm doing my undergrad in International Relations/Politics which obviously isn't the same as a masters but I'll try help.

International Relations/Politics is a really amazing subject to study as you're focussing on how different political systems were created, how they function within themselves and the world as a whole, as well as analysing how these relationships work and the impact they have on the world.

I really like studying it because even though so many countries have the same system learning about how differently they work due to cultural and social differences is so cool.
It's a really good gateway into understanding how and why some polices may work in one country and not another and is just eye opening.
I feel like it's made me less judgemental about the goings on in another country as I can now sort of imagine myself in their position at a particular time and understand where leaders were coming from when making X,Y, Z decision.

As an undergrad I don't know what depths the masters goes into with theory and practical examples but this is how best I can explain it having just woken up 😭😭

TL;DR International Relations kind of says what it does on the tin 😂 it teaches you about the political relationships in the world, how to keep them safe, you learn so many points of view (it can also make you quite a sceptic!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending