The Student Room Group

QUB Midwifery 2022

Hi 👋 I’m applying for the direct entry Midwifery 2022 intake, working on my personal statement atm!
As a mature student with two children I Would really appreciate it if any successful past students could offer some insight into how semesters work with placements/in class time!

How long do placements last, can you request an area? I’ll be travelling from Derry/L’Derry!

Any tips / advice / info appreciated!

😊

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plouise93
Hi 👋 I’m applying for the direct entry Midwifery 2022 intake, working on my personal statement atm!
As a mature student with two children I Would really appreciate it if any successful past students could offer some insight into how semesters work with placements/in class time!

How long do placements last, can you request an area? I’ll be travelling from Derry/L’Derry!

Any tips / advice / info appreciated!

😊

Hi

Your university studying blocks - you'll be in probably between 8.45am to about 4.30/5pm Monday to Friday but will depend on university at the time due to current situation still with covid19. ( although hopefully things will be much better by 2022 ).
These can last anything between say 6 /7 weeks approx ( may vary ok ).
There's possibility of some online learning still but majority of it will be face to face hopefully by time you hopefully get a place offered to you,

Then you'll go out on placements either at hospitals or in community ( GP surgeries).
Hours and shifts you'll do will depends on what the hospital trust you'll be under work as can be split shifts or long hours shifts ( splits are example :- 6am - 2pm / 2pm -- 10pm & 10pm - 6am nightshift ) Monday to Sunday working 5 out of 7 days a week , or long hours shifts are 12.5/13 hours shifts doing 3 different days out of 7 days with 4 days off . You'll be doing nightshifts/ dayshift & weekends .
Community placements are generally worked on opening hours of the GP surgeries you working at plus you maybe on call at night as student midwife with your mentor/supervisor as you usually work same as them while on placement.

Placement are usually around 7 weeks at a time ( again may vary depending on how they set up them ).

You do 2300 hours of placement and also 2300 hours of practical/theories and studying blocks at university over 3 years of course. Approx 37.5 hours a week for both you'll do.

You'll get approx 6/7 weeks holidays a year ( 2 weeks at Xmas/New Years , 2 weeks at easter , then rest over summer at end of academic year ), can't take any holidays etc of outwith your academic year as only allowed official ones at end of each semester.

I'm a registered NHS adult nurse and midwife with NHS Scotland as that what we intend to have in place for our students nurses and midwife's.
Reply 2
Hey! I'm a first year at Queen's. Some of the above information isn't 100% as unis will vary in what they offer.

We do 6 weeks theory then 6 weeks placement. For this term we're online 3 days a week and on campus one day. Every day is different timing wise and our lectures vary week by week. Typically we start 9/10 and can finish anytime up until 4. Some days we have 4/5 lectures, others only 2.

Holidays for us this year are 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week at Easter then 4 weeks in the summer.

We do two community placements and 1 labour ward placement in first year. With placements we are allocated a home trust, this is the trust in which we'll have most of our placements but you do need to sign a declaration confirming that you would be able to travel anywhere in NI. I'm from Derry/Londonderry too and I did get Western Trust, thankfully! We do 30 hours per week in first year and community can be 9-5 Monday - Sunday. Labour ward we've been told to expect 12-13 hour shifts and obviously nights and weekends too.

Best of luck applying! It feels like the last year has flown in for me, I was prepping my application this time last year!
Hi @Bear3001just wondering what was your September 2021 start date? My little boy starts p1 September 2022 and I’m hoping go to around to help him settle.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SineadB84
Hi @Bear3001just wondering what was your September 2021 start date? My little boy starts p1 September 2022 and I’m hoping go to around to help him settle.

Our induction week started on the 13th September and we started lectures on the 20th September. My son starts p1 next September too so I'm hoping his start date is during my holidays too.
Thank you so much I would just hate to miss his first day!
Reply 6
Original post by Allyson2020
Hi

Your university studying blocks - you'll be in probably between 8.45am to about 4.30/5pm Monday to Friday but will depend on university at the time due to current situation still with covid19. ( although hopefully things will be much better by 2022 ).
These can last anything between say 6 /7 weeks approx ( may vary ok ).
There's possibility of some online learning still but majority of it will be face to face hopefully by time you hopefully get a place offered to you,

Then you'll go out on placements either at hospitals or in community ( GP surgeries).
Hours and shifts you'll do will depends on what the hospital trust you'll be under work as can be split shifts or long hours shifts ( splits are example :- 6am - 2pm / 2pm -- 10pm & 10pm - 6am nightshift ) Monday to Sunday working 5 out of 7 days a week , or long hours shifts are 12.5/13 hours shifts doing 3 different days out of 7 days with 4 days off . You'll be doing nightshifts/ dayshift & weekends .
Community placements are generally worked on opening hours of the GP surgeries you working at plus you maybe on call at night as student midwife with your mentor/supervisor as you usually work same as them while on placement.

Placement are usually around 7 weeks at a time ( again may vary depending on how they set up them ).

You do 2300 hours of placement and also 2300 hours of practical/theories and studying blocks at university over 3 years of course. Approx 37.5 hours a week for both you'll do.

You'll get approx 6/7 weeks holidays a year ( 2 weeks at Xmas/New Years , 2 weeks at easter , then rest over summer at end of academic year ), can't take any holidays etc of outwith your academic year as only allowed official ones at end of each semester.

I'm a registered NHS adult nurse and midwife with NHS Scotland as that what we intend to have in place for our students nurses and midwife's.

Thank you very much for the reply and sorry for my late message of thanks,
I have just been able to sign back into this account!
very appreciated,
:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Bear3001
Hey! I'm a first year at Queen's. Some of the above information isn't 100% as unis will vary in what they offer.

We do 6 weeks theory then 6 weeks placement. For this term we're online 3 days a week and on campus one day. Every day is different timing wise and our lectures vary week by week. Typically we start 9/10 and can finish anytime up until 4. Some days we have 4/5 lectures, others only 2.

Holidays for us this year are 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week at Easter then 4 weeks in the summer.

We do two community placements and 1 labour ward placement in first year. With placements we are allocated a home trust, this is the trust in which we'll have most of our placements but you do need to sign a declaration confirming that you would be able to travel anywhere in NI. I'm from Derry/Londonderry too and I did get Western Trust, thankfully! We do 30 hours per week in first year and community can be 9-5 Monday - Sunday. Labour ward we've been told to expect 12-13 hour shifts and obviously nights and weekends too.

Best of luck applying! It feels like the last year has flown in for me, I was prepping my application this time last year!

Hi I’m so sorry for the late reply I just got into this account again!
All that information is brilliant thank you so much!
If you have any advice on personal statement/interview I’d love to message you if you don’t mind?
Original post by Plouise93
Thank you very much for the reply and sorry for my late message of thanks,
I have just been able to sign back into this account!
very appreciated,
:smile:

Hi
You are welcome and it's fine for late reply ok.

I didn't say I was 100% right about the placement/hours etc you'll do because I mentioned that we tend to work this way in scotland while the rest of the UK will do there own things with the coursework as only can comment it but I know that most English hospital trust works a split shift or long hours shifts . Each hospital trust & university works different from one another. What our heathboard do don't mean that you'll be doing this okay. 😃
Good luck with your course x
Reply 9
Hi, I received an email confirming I’ve got an interview for QUB to study Midwifery but haven’t received a follow up with a date or time of the interview anyone else having the same issue?
Reply 10
Original post by Leonax
Hi, I received an email confirming I’ve got an interview for QUB to study Midwifery but haven’t received a follow up with a date or time of the interview anyone else having the same issue?

Hi im still waiting to hear back if I got an interview or not. Did you hear anymore?
Original post by Eliza.2
Hi im still waiting to hear back if I got an interview or not. Did you hear anymore?

I’m also still waiting to hear have you heard yet?
X
Reply 12
Heya, I completed my interview over a month ago, I was lucky enough to be the first batch to have it over and done with quickly, this is my second year applying so hoping for a better outcome than last year next month. All the best with everyone else!
Original post by Red_101
Heya, I completed my interview over a month ago, I was lucky enough to be the first batch to have it over and done with quickly, this is my second year applying so hoping for a better outcome than last year next month. All the best with everyone else!

Fingers crossed for everyone 🤞🏽 I only done my interview last Monday and already stressing about when we will find out about offers lol. Does anyone know when we should find out? X
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by NiamhM123
Fingers crossed for everyone 🤞🏽 I only done my interview last Monday and already stressing about when we will find out about offers lol. Does anyone know when we should find out? X

Last year ulster sent there’s out a week before QUB. QUB was right on the deadline and in previous years I was told it was the same so I’m just keeping the 19th in my diary for decisions x
Last year we found out on the 20th I think? I got mine through an hour and 20 mins before the deadline. Best of luck to you all, the waiting is horrible.
Has anyone heard anything?
Reply 17
Original post by cj160798
Has anyone heard anything?

Nothing yet, I’m 99% sure it will be on the day of ucas deadline as that’s what they done last year
Hi is there a list of things you need to get for starting? A friend of mine is starting in September and I'd like to get her something she'll use as a congratulations gift. I was thinking a fob watch but no idea if thats something she'll need. Really appreciate any help.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Gillb1983
Hi is there a list of things you need to get for starting? A friend of mine is starting in September and I'd like to get her something she'll use as a congratulations gift. I was thinking a fob watch but no idea if thats something she'll need. Really appreciate any help.

Fob watch is definitely something she'll need ( majority of nursing staff use the silicon ones as more hygiene to keep clean) but you can get whatever type you wish to.

I would also recommend her having her own stethoscope as personal I wouldn't share the one's the university or hospital may hand out - don't have to.

List of things are
1) fob watch
2) stethoscope
3) plenty of bio pen's
4) loads of A4 notepads
5) some pocket notebooks for to take notes down when on placements
6) very comfortable shoes

A NHS Scotland registered midwife
Hope she is ready for the next three years of very hard work ahead.
Well done to her getting a place at university for such a highly competitive degree course 😃😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending