The Student Room Group

dissertation due in a week!!!

I’ve stupidly left my dissertation til now. I have done most of my research and bcs i’m doing an english lit degree i don’t need to do methods and all the other stuff other people have to do. The thing is i’ve been dreading this disso since january and as the deadline gets closer i just can’t bring myself to do any work. I’m really worried and also have two other assignments due around the same time. idk where to start and it’s really scaring me. any advice would be appreciated x
How much of your dissertation have you actually completed? Do you have a draft?
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve stupidly left my dissertation til now. I have done most of my research and bcs i’m doing an english lit degree i don’t need to do methods and all the other stuff other people have to do. The thing is i’ve been dreading this disso since january and as the deadline gets closer i just can’t bring myself to do any work. I’m really worried and also have two other assignments due around the same time. idk where to start and it’s really scaring me. any advice would be appreciated x

Hey so many ppl have managed to write one within a week. You’re not alone on that boat. I think put a word goal for each day, and try to get research done asap within a full day or two (if that’s enough if you were to work many hours each day). Try to get an extension, it’ll make things easier, and so many ppl I’ve seen are getting extensions for arbitrary reasons. But don’t rely on that obviously. Most importantly prioritise emotion regulation because that’ll be the hardest part. Maintaining momentum amidst the stress and long hours. But again doable and many are on that boat (I’ve learnt surprisingly ). Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi!

Its great that you've done the research as this can take the longest. If you work solidly for a week on writing then you should be able to get it done. As others have put, its a good idea to set a word count for each day for you to achieve.
I would also speak to your tutor and ask for some advice, as you may be able to submit an ECF to extend your deadline.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official student Rep :smile:

I suggest finding a way that you work best and play to your strengths from now until the deadline. This could be finding the right environment, working in the morning, playing background music, etc. Creating some sort of schedule to help you manage your time is beneficial and set mini-deadlines for yourself so you have something to aim for as the others have mentioned above. Try to eliminate distractions and use your reason for finishing your dissertation and finishing university as your motivation to get going! Most importantly, take deep breaths and spend 5mins maybe meditating so you can calm your mind before you get on with your work.
It's considering an extension to give yourself extra time!

If you have time, check out Parkinson's Law. The principle of this theory states that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". This means that if you give yourself 4 months to complete your dissertation that could take 1 month - for example - the task increases in complexity and it becomes more difficult for you to finish as your deadline approaches. As a result, you become more stressed, anxious and unable to focus to get on with your work. Therefore, a way to overcome this is to set yourself a deadline to finish your dissertation. By doing this, you take back control of your time and reduce the difficulty of completing your dissertation.

I'm not sure if this makes complete sense, but the essence is that the longer you leave a task, the harder it becomes for you to do it and finish it.

I hope you finish your dissertation in time! Best of luck with it all :smile:

Veronica
Student Ambassador

You may choose to focus on the dissertation and get help with the assignments. I can refer you..
Planning and ludicrous all-nighters in the library.
Reply 7
I also study English Lit and my diss is due in one week, I’ve pretty much finished mine BUT there are multiple people in my course group chat that have only just started. You’ll be ok, I think it is quite common that people leave dissertations until the last week and still get pretty good grades. Make a schedule and get to work. I wrote and researched for mine over the space of about 9 weeks but really only spend around 9 days of that 9 weeks actually doing my dissertation. It’s definitely doable. As for the other assignments add them into your schedule. I have one more essay due (in 12 days) and I haven’t started that one. All will be ok. Force yourself to write, literally just do it. Don’t give yourself any other options
Original post by Synergy~
Hey so many ppl have managed to write one within a week. You’re not alone on that boat. I think put a word goal for each day, and try to get research done asap within a full day or two (if that’s enough if you were to work many hours each day). Try to get an extension, it’ll make things easier, and so many ppl I’ve seen are getting extensions for arbitrary reasons. But don’t rely on that obviously. Most importantly prioritise emotion regulation because that’ll be the hardest part. Maintaining momentum amidst the stress and long hours. But again doable and many are on that boat (I’ve learnt surprisingly ). Good luck!

Hey Synergy. Remember me?
Hi there,

I understand how tricky it can be to find the motivation to do the work and to continue to procrastinate.
When I was writing my dissertation, I was in a similar position due to some personal circumstances and so was more pushed for time than I would've liked which left me feeling really stressed and overwhelmed.

I love making to-do lists and found that if I gave myself a manageable goal a day, I felt like I had things under control as I could logically see how I was going to finish the dissertation in time.
I found dividing my dissertation into sections (intro, paragraph one, conclusion, etc) meant I could focus on one area a day and not lose my train of thought.
For example on Monday I might set the goal of writing a draft of my first point, and if it was going well I'd move on to point two. I did this till I had written the entire thing and then had a day or two to edit the draft before the deadline.

I hope this helps and it goes well :smile:

Megan
University of Chichester Alumni
Hi, I too have had problems with procrastination, and I have some helpful tips for completing assignments in 1-2 weeks. A dissertation is a longer piece of work so it will likely be difficult, but as you've done most of your research that will help. As others have said, first thing you should do is request an extension, but when you apply for it, until you hear back, act as though you don't have the extension and make sure to put the work in.

A good way to bring research together (if you haven't done this already) is to separate the information via themes. Choose a couple of themes, then on separate word documents put in the information from the various journals/books etc that match that theme. Then from there edit it and make it your own, then bring these all together onto your main document :smile:

It is also helpful to make deadlines for yourself, so write out exactly what you need to do, then allocate specific days to these.

- Rosie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending