The Student Room Group

Gcses 2022 for an immigrant

Hi! I recently came here in the UK months ago. I am currently 15 years old, turning 16 this August. Me and my mom are looking for schools here in West London. We are encountering problems since most sixth forms requires 5 GCSEs or an equivalent. I’ve been doing online class up until now with my current school in my country and will finish Grade 10 or Junior high school in June. I have been doing some research and I found out that I could partake in to GCSEs privately. In worst case scenario, if I wasn’t accepted to sixth forms here then I would challenge the GCSEs this year (I’m from a grammar school btw in my country) My brother does BTECs but I found out that A-levels have more options in terms of applying in Universities. Can I know what other options do I have? Is it a good idea to challenge the GCSEs (I will revise for it tho)? Also, can you recommend me some schools here in West London. Thank you
Original post by Solenfics
Hi! I recently came here in the UK months ago. I am currently 15 years old, turning 16 this August. Me and my mom are looking for schools here in West London. We are encountering problems since most sixth forms requires 5 GCSEs or an equivalent. I’ve been doing online class up until now with my current school in my country and will finish Grade 10 or Junior high school in June. I have been doing some research and I found out that I could partake in to GCSEs privately. In worst case scenario, if I wasn’t accepted to sixth forms here then I would challenge the GCSEs this year (I’m from a grammar school btw in my country) My brother does BTECs but I found out that A-levels have more options in terms of applying in Universities. Can I know what other options do I have? Is it a good idea to challenge the GCSEs (I will revise for it tho)? Also, can you recommend me some schools here in West London. Thank you

It is probably too late to attempt the GCSE exams privately in summer 2022. Most schools/colleges/exam centres will not now be entering new candidates for the exams this summer. I have heard that London Brookes College is still accepting entries for private candidates but only for a few more days https://www.londonbrookescollege.co.uk/
Because this would be a very late exam entry, the fees you would have to pay for 5 subjects would be very high.

Note: Many GCSE are unsuitable for private candidates because they include either a practical assessment of some kind or require assessed coursework to be completed. For this reason many private candidates choose to take IGCSE exams, especially for science subjects and for English language. GCSE and IGCSE are equivalent qualifications.

My suggestion would be for you to take another year to acquire the necessary 5 GCSE/IGCSE and aim to enter sixth form in September 2023. You could do this in at least two ways:
1. Continue to study at home using text books and internet resources and enter as a private candidate at normal prices. Take GCSE maths in November 2022 and maybe some IGCSE subjects from Cambridge CAIE (in November 2022) or Pearson/Edexcel (in January 2023). Take the rest of your GCSE/IGCSE subjects in summer 2023. If necessary you could also retake subjects attempted earlier to improve your grade. Apply for sixth form in 2023 to study A levels.

2. Find a local college willing to accept you to study a mixture of level 2 BTEC and GCSE for a year. Maths and English would certainly be available, other subjects would depend on the college. Alongside this, prepare yourself to do a few additional GCSE/IGCSE privately. Apply for sixth form in 2023 to study A levels.

I don't know what your residency status is in UK but delaying university application by a year may benefit you in terms of student finance.

Good luck
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
is it possible to enroll for year 11 even if I’m 16 already?

In a further education college it would definitely be possible to study a year of GCSE and Level 2 BTEC as you currently have no GCSE qualifications. In a regular secondary school the possibility to join year 11 will depend on the school (you would have to ask) and will often be a no.
You don't necessarily need to do GCSEs. I know a few people from abroad who just explained their situation to my sixth form and were able to start without GCSEs. If your education was not in English before though you might need to take English Language GCSE in the first year.
Reply 5
but I’m kinda worried because if I’m going to apply to universities, they might find GCSEs especially for big unis here in London.
but I’m kinda worried because if I’m going to apply to universities, they might find GCSEs especially for big unis here in London.

@vapordave is right. Some schools will accept sixth form students from outside of the UK without GCSE if they can provide evidence of a suitable academic record (a transcript/letter of recommendation from your previous school). Not all schools will and I'm guessing that so far you haven't found one where you live.
Regarding GCSE and university, As long as you have GCSE maths and English most options would still be open to you. Universities understand the difficulties some candidates have when they don't come to the UK early in their school life and so don't have the range of GCSE qualifications of other students. The person who provides for university application reference will explain the reasons. You will need to achieve excellent A level results to have the best options for choosing course and universities.
(edited 1 year ago)

You are not 16 until August you said so a school might take you into Year 10 now so you could sit more GCSEs in Year 11 in 2023. What options have the LA offered? They have to find you a school.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
You are not 16 until August you said so a school might take you into Year 10 now so you could sit more GCSEs in Year 11 in 2023. What options have the LA offered? They have to find you a school.

No, I’m still doing my online classes back in my country and I’m going to be graduating Junior high school soon or Year 11 here in UK. Anyways thank you for your answer.
Reply 9
Original post by gdunne42
@vapordave is right. Some schools will accept sixth form students from outside of the UK without GCSE if they can provide evidence of a suitable academic record (a transcript/letter of recommendation from your previous school). Not all schools will and I'm guessing that so far you haven't found one where you live.
Regarding GCSE and university, As long as you have GCSE maths and English most options would still be open to you. Universities understand the difficulties some candidates have when they don't come to the UK early in their school life and so don't have the range of GCSE qualifications of other students. The person who provides for university application reference will explain the reasons. You will need to achieve excellent A level results to have the best options for choosing course and universities.

noted. thank you
Reply 10
Original post by vapordave
You don't necessarily need to do GCSEs. I know a few people from abroad who just explained their situation to my sixth form and were able to start without GCSEs. If your education was not in English before though you might need to take English Language GCSE in the first year.

thank you
No, I’m still doing my online classes back in my country and I’m going to be graduating Junior high school soon or Year 11 here in UK. Anyways thank you for your answer.

So what UK qualifications are these equivalent to? Look on a uni website what the requirements are from your country.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
year 11. technically, I’m really in a-levels next school year

Original post by Muttley79
So what UK qualifications are these equivalent to? Look on a uni website what the requirements are from your country.
year 11. technically, I’m really in a-levels next school year

Yes but you need to know if you actually need GCSE or whether what you'll get is enough. Please do what i suggested :smile:
Reply 14
thank u

Hmm
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest