The Student Room Group

Swansea A101 2022 Offer Holders

Welcome to the Swansea A101 2022 Offer Holders.

For general information click: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/mbbchgraduateentrymedicine/

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Swansea Offer Holders 2022!

Congratulations everyone!! You must all be absolutely overwhelmed emotions ahaha I hope you all are doing well. How is everyone feeling??

I am so excited to meet you all! I am a current Swansea Student and have been here for 3 years; I cannot express how incredible it is here. You will all find Swansea so welcoming, and everyone is so approachable. The staff here are friendly and supportive. I have been a student rep for 3 years and enjoyed getting involved quite a bit with university life. I can honestly say that the support services here are outstanding; I know it must have been hard for you all during COVID.

ANYWAY, good luck to everyone getting their certificates; I know my year 6 Drums grade 2 certificate is lying around somewhere

If you have any questions about what it is like in Swansea or anything else put it in this thread
Reply 2
Hey guys, I've just firmed Swansea - looking forward to meeting everyone! Just wondering what the deal is with accomm? I only live in Cardiff but I'm a bit worried about the traffic going in/out of Singleton during rush hour so I'm looking at living in Swansea too.. Do people tend to get halls and if so do they group 'mature' students together? (I'm 26 so I don't really want to be living with freshers 😂), or shared houses/flats?
Hey! I’ll put this here so others can see info about the accom too.

So there are two accommodations Singleton Campus and Bay campus. Bay is the newer accommodation (it is super nice), but it’s a bit further away from Singleton, where most of our lectures will take place, and the busses are not the most reliable at times…

Singleton is right next door, and on the main site, it’s excellent! I was in Singleton for my first year, and I loved it, but it’s not as new as bay.

I’d say do whatever you’re comfortable with. Being in halls the first year of Swansea was amazing for me. I met so many people, and it really helped me learn about the campus that I would be on for the next few years. I am sure the halls will be very welcoming even with freshers! I think we had a mature student (about 24?) and a year 3 with us whilst we were in year one, and they were great!
Reply 4
Original post by JamesTWoody
Hey! I’ll put this here so others can see info about the accom too.

So there are two accommodations Singleton Campus and Bay campus. Bay is the newer accommodation (it is super nice), but it’s a bit further away from Singleton, where most of our lectures will take place, and the busses are not the most reliable at times…

Singleton is right next door, and on the main site, it’s excellent! I was in Singleton for my first year, and I loved it, but it’s not as new as bay.

I’d say do whatever you’re comfortable with. Being in halls the first year of Swansea was amazing for me. I met so many people, and it really helped me learn about the campus that I would be on for the next few years. I am sure the halls will be very welcoming even with freshers! I think we had a mature student (about 24?) and a year 3 with us whilst we were in year one, and they were great!

This is great, thanks for your help! Is there car parking available? I was also looking at Ty Beck but not sure if I'd get the same sort of social aspect of things if I lived there :smile:
Reply 5
Hi guys,

Super pleased to have an offer at Swansea. I got my two top universities and I have no idea what to choose. Could anyone currently on the course give me an insight into placements? If I were to chose Swansea I’d be moving my husband (who’s happy to follow) and dog and house and everything. I’m a bit concerned that I will be sent away on placements all the time and never be home. I don’t want to move everyone just to never be around.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
I have heard that most 1st years search for rental accommodation with each other. Apparently swansea medsoc helps to create facebook and whatsapp groups once they are given a list of offer holders and provide a housing booklet. Just a thought if you didn't fancy going back to halls, and of course rental accommodation will be more likely to have parking in some instances
Reply 7
Heya, so I currently live in Swansea after doing my undergrad and Master’s here, so hopefully I can be of some help! There are new private student accommodations popping up left right and centre at the moment, so there are plenty more options than just Bay or Singleton campus. If you’re looking for a rental with other students, the options will be limited as many students have sorted out their accommodation for next year already, however there are plenty of landlords on Facebook groups across swansea who are always offering out rooms etc! If for example you are looking for a private non-student rental, again there are plenty out there, you just have to look at estate agents and live a little further out if your budget isn’t endless e.g. The Marina is beautiful to live in, but can cost roughly £1000 pcm 😭. Uplands, Brynmill, Morfa, Plasmarl, Sketty, Marina, Port tennant, Skewen, Mumbles, these are all areas that are where students and staff live and are all within commutable distance from The medical school, whether that’s walking, bus, cycling or driving!
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey everyone! Absolutely thrilled to have received an offer and have firmed. Looking forward to getting started and to meeting you all!

A few qs from me:

Will Swansea come back to confirm that everything is okay with our certificates, and if so when? Ditto with the background checks, when do these tend to take place?
(I'm trying to figure out when it's "safe" to hand in my notice on my job and flat! - and I still can't quite believe it's all real so want to make sure 100% confirmed!)
(edited 2 years ago)
Sorry about that! Thanks for the edit!

Any insight on when/if Swansea get back to us RE certificate/background checks appreciated!
Hi, looking in a bit more detail at finance options available. Could anyone currently at Swansea or otherwise confirm whether the course qualifies for the additional Extra Weeks Allowance of NHS bursary, think this applies if the number of weeks are over 30? Thanks, C
Anyone know how long validation of certificates will take and DBS want to hand in my notice soon…
How is everyone doing? Have the news sunk in yet? I'm absolutely buzzing for GEM and keen to complete the DBS and occu health check too. Are you guys sorting your accommodation? I'm starting to search seriously now.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Busy_Bee_
How is everyone doing? Have the news sunk on yet? I'm absolutely buzzing for GEM and keen to complete the DBS and occu health check too. Are you guys sorting your accommodation? I'm starting to search seriously now.

Still in absolute shock - but I have stopped logging into my applications page on UCAS every day to double check it’s real 🤣 and handed in my notice on my flat and my job this week. DBS and occu health check still to come right? I had to do both for my work ex last year (at a hospital!) so fingers crossed all okay this time around. I’ve applied for student accom (one and two beds in bay campus as first choice, then beck house shared and singleton as last choice)… what are your plans?
I am probably being a bit too safe but just waiting on DBS and occupational health before I hand in notice. Anyone know when we apply for student finance?
Original post by CoffeinthebRn332
I am probably being a bit too safe but just waiting on DBS and occupational health before I hand in notice. Anyone know when we apply for student finance?

I phoned student finance the other day, they said applications for finance are open so whenever you want now I think. I'm also doing the same re DBS and occ health!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Charl456
I phoned student finance the other day, they said applications for finance are open so whenever you want now I think. I'm also doing the same re DBS and occ health!

Cool thank you very much, only thing is my notice is 2 months so hoping DBS and occ health not too long so I can have a bit of a summer ahaha
Hi all, I was offered a place from the waiting list last year but it was too late for me to start so I am starting this year. What’s happening with the DBS and occ health stuff? Have you been sent forms to fill in? Just wondering if I need to chase anyone! Also, does anyone know what date we will actually be starting? Thanks 😊
Does anyone know when the offer holders day is?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 19
Is anyone attending the open day on 11th June?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending