The Student Room Group

for people who did their a-level exams

they're approaching and as someone who never did their GCSES i have no clue what the exam experience is like! generally what grades/% were you getting in the mocks/papers in the lead up to your exams and what did you get as your actual grade? were you pleasantly surprised with what you got? if you can shed some light on your experiences with aqa french/sociology or edexcel history that would be appreciated but any insight will do :smile:
s

Original post by sociologleek
they're approaching and as someone who never did their GCSES i have no clue what the exam experience is like! generally what grades/% were you getting in the mocks/papers in the lead up to your exams and what did you get as your actual grade? were you pleasantly surprised with what you got? if you can shed some light on your experiences with aqa french/sociology or edexcel history that would be appreciated but any insight will do :smile:

same boat!!
Original post by Angel cake 55
s

same boat!!

its so difficult not knowing what to expect!! not having that gcse experience was a bump, i need to know if if i leave that exam room full of dread theres still potential to have hope or if i should start planning my career as a dj haha
Original post by sociologleek
its so difficult not knowing what to expect!! not having that gcse experience was a bump, i need to know if if i leave that exam room full of dread theres still potential to have hope or if i should start planning my career as a dj haha

a dj pahaha!! tbh if you'd enjoy it don't see why not. I am mentally not in the correct frame of mind. I missed way too much of yr 12 and struggled to get back in the flow. I found the jump between Yr 12 and 13 worse than from GCSEs, like all of sudden I had to deal with coursework, uni, future, UCAS grades, and my personal ish. I am totally excited to get these exams over with tho, I have full faith I'll be fine and God's with me. It is hard as its our first proper exams so hopefully grade boundaries are lenient. I wish you the best!! my first actual A-level is this thursday, please help me come to realisation, i NEED a reality check mixed with a pep talk bruh
Reply 4
I was so stressed about the French speaking exam last year but once I got in there it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! As long as you stay calm and know your IRP topic well you should do great. For speaking I recommend doing as many practice cards as you can, and do them under timed conditions so that you will be be better prepared for the real exam. If you can, perhaps ask your teacher to do a practice session with you individually to give you a chance to practice with your fluency. If not, practice with a friend in your class and help each other out. It must be really difficult not knowing what to expect but practicing under exam timings will really help.

For the written exam, you could practice writing paragraphs on each topic using quotes and key vocab so that you will be prepared for a variety of questions. I always had a structure for my intros as I always struggled with them under pressure and used the same introduction each time.

For reading and listening, again do some practice papers under exam conditions and go over your vocab for each topic.

Hope this was helpful! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest