The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Accommodation for York uni

Hi, I am abouts to apply for accommodation and could do with some advise for York uni!
I am after self- catered, mid to low price, social life but also the chance to quietly study somewhere. I am going to study history and have been told there is an east and west campus, one new and one old? I'm not sure if that's right but would it be best going somewhere near history? I would much prefer a more modern accommodation too, many thanks :smile:
There is an east and a west campus. The two new colleges are on east campus. This map shows the colleges and departments: https://www.york.ac.uk/map/ Have you looked at the accommodation pages? (They have pictures of example rooms and kitchens as well as information about the common areas, laundry, etc.)
University of York
York
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am abouts to apply for accommodation and could do with some advise for York uni!
I am after self- catered, mid to low price, social life but also the chance to quietly study somewhere. I am going to study history and have been told there is an east and west campus, one new and one old? I'm not sure if that's right but would it be best going somewhere near history? I would much prefer a more modern accommodation too, many thanks :smile:

Hi,

The Department of History is on Campus West, so if you want to be super close to your dept, I'd recommend looking for a Campus West college. However, if you don't mind doing the free shuttle bus trip (like 5 mins on the bus) between the campuses, then you should also have a look at some Campus East options!

Campus East accommodation is generally more modern than Campus West. We have two brand new colleges on East - Anne Lister (opened Sept 21) and David Kato (opening this Sept)! All colleges have a great social life, with social spaces and campus bars/common rooms to hang out in. There are also lots of dedicated study spaces all over both campuses.

For self-catered, your best options on Campus West are Halifax and Alcuin, as the other colleges are catered. Alcuin is nearer your department and is also really close to the Library, so easy to find somewhere to study. You can get band 1-3 options in Halifax and band 3 options in Alcuin.

All the colleges on Campus East have self catered options, so there are lots to choose from! You can explore the full list of colleges and prices here.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions!

Hazel :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending