The Student Room Group

How to get better?

I was a direct entry straight into second year and noticed the extreme change in work load and the quality they were looking for. So far I’ve been passing but have been getting a 53% at the lowest - my grades have improved from the beginning but they seem to be stuck between 57-65%, I keep getting told off family to try/work harder but I am trying my hardest - I recently got a 76% on my exam and it’s the highest I’ve ever gotten. I don’t know if this means I’m slowly improving or if I’ll be stuck in this low/high B range forever. I’m not even sure if that’s a bad thing but I’ve always been told that’s it’s not good enough, maybe I’m just extremely insecure and never proud of myself because I let these opinions get to me.

Does anyone have any good advice/tips to get constant higher marks/any good advice how to appreciate my work and the marks I get
What sort of percentage would you be happy with? What would your parents be happy with?

Have you looked-up what percentage you need to get for a particular degree classification? Unless your course/university is very unusual, that 76% would be a First (as would anything at or above 70%).

Is a First good enough? Or were you hoping for something better? :wink2:
I think I would like consistent 60-70s in the next year to my gpa up at, I’m only at a 2.0 regardless of getting decent percentages. I’m not sure what my parents would be happy with because it’s like if it’s not 100% it’s not perfect it’s sorta just a well done and it’s brushed under the carpet. Maybe I seek too much approval ahahah
Original post by FrontalLob3
...it’s like if it’s not 100% it’s not perfect it’s sorta just a well done and it’s brushed under the carpet.

Yeah, some parents are like that. My Dad's response to me getting 98% in a Maths test was, "What happened to the other two percent?" - at which point I decided to simply stop paying any attention to his opinion when it came to academics.

From what you've said about your scores, there's been a clear upwards trajectory. If you're target is "consistent 60-70s" then you're not a million miles away. Hopefully your recent 76% is a sign of things to come.
Original post by FrontalLob3
I was a direct entry straight into second year and noticed the extreme change in work load and the quality they were looking for. So far I’ve been passing but have been getting a 53% at the lowest - my grades have improved from the beginning but they seem to be stuck between 57-65%, I keep getting told off family to try/work harder but I am trying my hardest - I recently got a 76% on my exam and it’s the highest I’ve ever gotten. I don’t know if this means I’m slowly improving or if I’ll be stuck in this low/high B range forever. I’m not even sure if that’s a bad thing but I’ve always been told that’s it’s not good enough, maybe I’m just extremely insecure and never proud of myself because I let these opinions get to me.

Does anyone have any good advice/tips to get constant higher marks/any good advice how to appreciate my work and the marks I get

Hi there,

I would say two are the options, either speak with your tutors about it or learn from your feedback (or both). After that, put in the work, and you'll get higher grades. It is as simple as that. :smile:

Hope that helps!

Ivaylo
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest