The Student Room Group

Bad book recs?

What are some of the worst book recs you’ve received?

Mine: the poppy wars series - I think this has to be the first book series in existence where I can confidently say I wish I had never read it, ever. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself having ever read them. I haunted.
Original post by bimbibap

Mine: the poppy wars series - I think this has to be the first book series in existence where I can confidently say I wish I had never read it, ever. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself having ever read them. I haunted.

Hi there :smile:

Never let me go - it was a dystopian novel which I discovered aren't for me :s-smilie:
(edited 1 year ago)
girl missing. it's so popular but I reeallly struggled to finish it. so bad!
Reply 3
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there :smile:

Never let me go - it was a dystopian novel which I discovered aren't for me :s-smilie:

This is on my TBR… people seem to either hate it or love it. I thought fantasy’s novels weren’t for me basically bashed them my entire life but I have started to really like them recently - just takes the right book I think
This is on my TBR… people seem to either hate it or love it. I thought fantasy’s novels weren’t for me basically bashed them my entire life but I have started to really like them recently - just takes the right book I think

I like fantasy books in general :smile:

Never let me go is about three friends who are organ donors who move out into the real world and try to become normal humans.

I won't spoil it any further :biggrin:

just curious.. have you read any other books in grim dark genre?
i've read it as well, the ethical dilemmas part was confounding to say the least
(edited 1 year ago)
Heads you win - Jeffrey Archer
it wasn't on any recs but i thought i might as well try it ; the end was kinda disappointing - still have no idea what to make of it , i think it was an open end
Reply 7
Original post by inanotherlifeee
just curious.. have you read any other books in grim dark genre?
i've read it as well, the ethical dilemmas part was confounding to say the least

I wouldn’t say I’m new to the genre, I actually enjoy books that deal with dark themes, morally gray characters, bad endings and anti-hero’s. The problem I had with this book series is there was too much of it. I read 1400+ pages of the worst of humanity and it was exhausting. What made it worse was how good R F Kuang was at making you feel like you were there, watching the repercussions of warfare - it’s clear victims being the most innocent and vulnerable - and every time you felt an inch of hope, she tore it away, pulling you back into conflict and bloodshed. Finding out that this was based on real historical events was the nail in the (already emotionally battered) coffin.
Reply 8
Original post by TriplexA
I like fantasy books in general :smile:

Never let me go is about three friends who are organ donors who move out into the real world and try to become normal humans.

I won't spoil it any further :biggrin:

Thanks!
Catcher in the Rye. I know it's such a classic but I really couldn't get into it & didn't enjoy it at all.
I wouldn’t say I’m new to the genre, I actually enjoy books that deal with dark themes, morally gray characters, bad endings and anti-hero’s. The problem I had with this book series is there was too much of it. I read 1400+ pages of the worst of humanity and it was exhausting. What made it worse was how good R F Kuang was at making you feel like you were there, watching the repercussions of warfare - it’s clear victims being the most innocent and vulnerable - and every time you felt an inch of hope, she tore it away, pulling you back into conflict and bloodshed. Finding out that this was based on real historical events was the nail in the (already emotionally battered) coffin.

ooo i see.. it was first timer for me.
i agree about the worst of humanity part. perhaps that was the main message, the hope is temporary?
an apt metaphor indeed :redface:
The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge

The only book that struggled me to finish to the end. And hope that it will be the last one.
Atonement by Ian McEwan
Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak.

Joseph Anton: A Memoir by Salman Rushdie
We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

i tried several times but never got beyond the first 50 pages
it ends with us 😭 ridiculously overhyped
Original post by londonmyst
Atonement by Ian McEwan
Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak.

Joseph Anton: A Memoir by Salman Rushdie
We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

i liked atonement! why would you say its bad?
Reply 16
Original post by aliaa03
it ends with us 😭 ridiculously overhyped

yes yes yes yes yes

Istg the chokehold this book has over people made zero sense. Ryle was literally repulsive from the start lmaooo.
yes yes yes yes yes

Istg the chokehold this book has over people made zero sense. Ryle was literally repulsive from the start lmaooo.

LITERALLY idk why people were shocked when he pushed her down the stairs or whatever he was a psycho from the start and had so many red flags?
A shadow in the glass. The most irritating protagonist I've ever encountered.

No turning back by susan lewis.
A family member gave me a couple of books that she had finished with. One of them was this one. I struggled to get into it but carried on. For a couple of pages it seemed to get better, but then it went downhill again. I must have only read a quarter of the book, if that.
This one being **** has put me off trying out her other books.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending