The Student Room Group

my brother never does his chores

my parents are old fashioned (its deffo a cultural thing - im arab), girls do the housework while the men relax. my sister (even when she has a job and is very busy) always does her chores and never complains but my brothers excuse for not doing his chores is that he has a job. he is a grown 26yo man that just recently got engaged to a women w a job. his views are also old fashioned (girls=housework).

my parents went away this weekend for holiday and it was just me and him at home. i refused to clean his dishes and only cleaned mine. he always yells at me whenever i dont clean up after him but my 'excuse' this time was that i literally have my a level exams in less than 20 days. dishes piled up until just before my parents came home, i didnt want to tire my jet lagged mother so i eventually gave in and did his dishes.

advice on how to possibly change my brother (if thats even possible)?

i dont see any hope for him to be honest. i also feel very bad for his fiancee i hope she can tolerate this behaviour or he can hopefully change otherwise there will be lots of issues....
its not just the dishes, literally ANY chore he refuses to do them and its annoying! and he demands me to clean his clothes as well! my whole family spoil him and just do what he says im the only one who refuses and thats why i dont get along with him at all...
Can't change someone with a regressive mentality like that. How did he even manage to get engaged?

Wait it out until you can move out.
Original post by Anonymous
my parents are old fashioned (its deffo a cultural thing - im arab), girls do the housework while the men relax. my sister (even when she has a job and is very busy) always does her chores and never complains but my brothers excuse for not doing his chores is that he has a job. he is a grown 26yo man that just recently got engaged to a women w a job. his views are also old fashioned (girls=housework).

my parents went away this weekend for holiday and it was just me and him at home. i refused to clean his dishes and only cleaned mine. he always yells at me whenever i dont clean up after him but my 'excuse' this time was that i literally have my a level exams in less than 20 days. dishes piled up until just before my parents came home, i didnt want to tire my jet lagged mother so i eventually gave in and did his dishes.

i dont see any hope for him to be honest. i also feel very bad for his fiancee i hope she can tolerate this behaviour or he can hopefully change otherwise there will be lots of issues....

I feel so bad for you... even I am frustrated with your brother! If I were you I would just completely neglect all of his chores
Original post by Imperviousness
Can't change someone with a regressive mentality like that. How did he even manage to get engaged?

Wait it out until you can move out.

he got very lucky if im being honest haha i dont think itll last as much as i hate to say it

thats the plan hopefully!

I feel so bad for you... even I am frustrated with your brother! If I were you I would just completely neglect all of his chores

i do exactly that and my parents always yell at me for it :confused: but im gonna continue to do it because im a little petty :tongue:
Tell the prick to stick it and to go and get his own sh*t down. People like that are genuinely outrageous, like where's your damn shame?
Original post by Leslie Knope
Tell the prick to stick it and to go and get his own sh*t down. People like that are genuinely outrageous, like where's your damn shame?

literally!! its extremely infuriating

Where are you from do you challenge your sibling? like who will have the last baklava?
i do exactly that and my parents always yell at me for it :confused: but im gonna continue to do it because im a little petty :tongue:

can you easily move out?
What are your parents saying are they aware about your critic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending