The Student Room Group

law question- oblique intention- murder- irac method

HI IM WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD POSSINBLY HELP ME? I NEED TO DO THE IRAC METHOD FOR MY LAW MODULE THAT I AM STUDYING I NEED TO USE THE EXTRACT BELOW AND THE QUESTION I NEED TO ANSWER IS DOES MR JONES HAVE THE OBLIQUE INTENTION REQUIREMENT FOR MURDER?

Mr Jones belongs to a white supremist group, called the Lawton Race Preservation Society. On Monday 3 January he planted a homemade bomb outside a local mosque to promote the beliefs of his group. The bomb was set to denotate at 3 p.m. At 1 p.m. Mr Jones telephoned a warning about the bomb to a local newspaper so that the public could be cleared from the area.
After receiving Mr Jones’ telephone call, the local newspaper contacted police. At 2.30 p.m. PC Fahmida Sugg was erecting a barrier on the road outside the mosque when the bomb unexpectedly denotated. A passer-by, Eoin Watson, was injured in the explosion.
Eoin was rushed to hospital with leg injuries caused by shrapnel from the blast, but the doctor failed to notice that he also had a serious bleed on his brain caused by the explosion until four hours after Eoin arrived at hospital. As a result of Eoin’s brain injury, he died two days later.
A post-mortem indicates that had Eoin received an urgent operation to address the bleeding in his brain it is likely that he would have survived.
Reply 1
And what are your thoughts on it?
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
And what are your thoughts on it?

I don’t understand how to do the IRAC method, like how to apply the rule to the application? I am just so confused with it all. Any advice on this question would be a great help. I understand I need to apply the 2 part test for oblique intention (rule part of the IRAC method) I need to find a case for it. But how do I do the application part of it? Soooo confused right now
You apply the two part test to the scenario given in the question
Reply 4
Original post by Lawstudent145600
You apply the two part test to the scenario given in the question

I no what the two part test consists off but I don’t no how to do it. And I’m thinking from the extract I’ve posted . I got a feeling mr Jones does not meet the requirements for oblique intentions. And instead meets the requirements for recklessness? Any advice you could give me I would be massively great full
I would be inclined to conclude with that also, for the rule section include the two part test (virtual certainty) add cases to back it up and for application you discuss if the defendants conduct was certain to have caused the result and also did they foresee this ,
What issues are you discussing?
Reply 7

I NEED TO USE THIS EXTRACT BELOW TO ANSWER IF (mr Jones satisfy the oblique intention requirement) I NEED TO USE THE IRAC METHOD TO ANSWER IT? any help would be really appreciated x
Mr Jones belongs to a white supremist group, called the Lawton Race Preservation Society. On Monday 3 January he planted a homemade bomb outside a local mosque to promote the beliefs of his group. The bomb was set to denotate at 3 p.m. At 1 p.m. Mr Jones telephoned a warning about the bomb to a local newspaper so that the public could be cleared from the area.
After receiving Mr Jones’ telephone call, the local newspaper contacted police. At 2.30 p.m. PC Fahmida Sugg was erecting a barrier on the road outside the mosque when the bomb unexpectedly denotated. A passer-by, Eoin Watson, was injured in the explosion.
Eoin was rushed to hospital with leg injuries caused by shrapnel from the blast, but the doctor failed to notice that he also had a serious bleed on his brain caused by the explosion until four hours after Eoin arrived at hospital. As a result of Eoin’s brain injury, he died two days later.
A post-mortem indicates that had Eoin received an urgent operation to address the bleeding in his brain it is likely that he would have survived.
Reply 8

What do you mean what issues am I discussing?
So for ISSUE- I just state the question does mr Jones meet the requirements for oblique intention? RULE-i just describe the 2 part test and then add some cases of it like describe the cases? APPLICATION I’m not sure what to do because I don’t no how you apply the rule to the case- CONCLUSION- mr Jones does/ doesn’t meet the requirements for oblique intention
Reply 9

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by cloes

Spoiler

What so you mean by great? Do that mean I’m correct I’m what I’m saying x
Hello

I am currently doing the same question could you help me ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending