The Student Room Group

DSA barry bennett apple laptop

Hi all, has anyone had experience of buying an apple laptop whether pro pr air from barry bennett through dsa? how much did it cost if anyone doesn't mind sharing their experiences as i feel there really overpriced and im still deciding whether to pull out since its costing me the same as buying it alone but not sure if id still be entitled to the software my dsa assessor has recommended if i got it all by myself? can anyone shine some light

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tabby121
Hi all, has anyone had experience of buying an apple laptop whether pro pr air from barry bennett through dsa? how much did it cost if anyone doesn't mind sharing their experiences as i feel there really overpriced and im still deciding whether to pull out since its costing me the same as buying it alone but not sure if id still be entitled to the software my dsa assessor has recommended if i got it all by myself? can anyone shine some light

Never bought a laptop from them but did buy a printer. However my daughter wanted to keep her own MacBook Pro that was 18 months old and she was allowed to have the DSA proposed software from Barry Bennett to go on it. The only stipulation was tht she had to insure it against breakage etc as it would be over 5 years old at the end of her course. DSA covered the cost of the insurance.
So NO you don't have to buy , or at least you didn't have to last year, through them.
Reply 2
thank you for your reply, they have offered me printer and a monitor which i dont need to fund but just the laptop needs funding, as the cost of teh cheapest laptop was quite pricey i've decided to go for apple as i have a ipad and feel its very fast as opposed to my okd desktop windows brand pc.
did they install any software on your daughters laptop or support in what was agreed originally?
thank you for your reply, they have offered me printer and a monitor which i dont need to fund but just the laptop needs funding, as the cost of teh cheapest laptop was quite pricey i've decided to go for apple as i have a ipad and feel its very fast as opposed to my okd desktop windows brand pc.
did they install any software on your daughters laptop or support in what was agreed originally?

My three children have mac's and although expensive they are worth the money. My son is still using his 9 years after we bought it for med school! But getting back to your question, yes they did provide the software in the form of codes, so you actually install it yourself, but they then provide a certain number of hours training on it. My daughter is also dyslexic and they provided voice to text, and text to voice softaware so that if ever she's too tired to read then the documents can be read to her. She also obtained fairly sophisticated mindmapping software as well as timetabling apps. To be honest she hasn't required much of it as yet because the structure of her course isn't really adapted to using it. However, if she was doing a more essay based course some of the functions are pretty amazing. Maybe in the later years of her course it will come in handy. At the moment she's only in the first of a five year course so we'll see later how much use she'll really get out of it. But coming back to Barry Bennett, we were very pleased with the quality of the service they provided even though we didn't use them to buy the computer and I'm sure that it won't be a problem if you decide to buy it elsewhere.
Reply 4
hi there, I'm in my first year of uni and qualify for DSA. I chose to upgrade to the Apple Pro, which retails for I think £1900, and I paid between £1300-1400. So personally that is quite a lot cheaper (partly because Barry Bennett get a discount as an educational supplier, and partly because your grant money pays £200 towards to the cost of the laptop that you choose I think). .And yes you absolutely will be entitled to everything in your recommendations regardless whether you buy the laptop yourself or you use Barry Bennett's tech supplier, Hamer Technology. .Basically the next step for me is that Hamer Tech will deliver the laptop, and then I have to contact BB to arrange someone to come out and install the software and show me how to use it. if I decided instead to buy the laptop myself, i would just skip the step with Hamer Tech, go purchase the computer from Apple and then go ahead and contact Barry Bennett that I have the laptop and am ready to book a training session. Hope that helps!
Just one thing, I think you have to get an extension of the guarantee on the PC because it has to be guaranteed for the length of the course.
Reply 6
Original post by Nobody2u
My three children have mac's and although expensive they are worth the money. My son is still using his 9 years after we bought it for med school! But getting back to your question, yes they did provide the software in the form of codes, so you actually install it yourself, but they then provide a certain number of hours training on it. My daughter is also dyslexic and they provided voice to text, and text to voice softaware so that if ever she's too tired to read then the documents can be read to her. She also obtained fairly sophisticated mindmapping software as well as timetabling apps. To be honest she hasn't required much of it as yet because the structure of her course isn't really adapted to using it. However, if she was doing a more essay based course some of the functions are pretty amazing. Maybe in the later years of her course it will come in handy. At the moment she's only in the first of a five year course so we'll see later how much use she'll really get out of it. But coming back to Barry Bennett, we were very pleased with the quality of the service they provided even though we didn't use them to buy the computer and I'm sure that it won't be a problem if you decide to buy it elsewhere.

thank you ever so much for your reply so helpful , i suffer from vertigo and partial hearing loss and migraines it was a big knockback as i woke up 11 months ago one day and lost all my hearing it was debilitating and knocked my confidence down and i had to change my career path as im already working in the NHS since a decade but being 28 now i wanted something as a backup going forward and for progression. was your daughters dsa reward last year or recent uf you dont mind me asking as they've changed things alot since 3 years
Reply 7
Original post by hsalyon3
hi there, I'm in my first year of uni and qualify for DSA. I chose to upgrade to the Apple Pro, which retails for I think £1900, and I paid between £1300-1400. So personally that is quite a lot cheaper (partly because Barry Bennett get a discount as an educational supplier, and partly because your grant money pays £200 towards to the cost of the laptop that you choose I think). .And yes you absolutely will be entitled to everything in your recommendations regardless whether you buy the laptop yourself or you use Barry Bennett's tech supplier, Hamer Technology. .Basically the next step for me is that Hamer Tech will deliver the laptop, and then I have to contact BB to arrange someone to come out and install the software and show me how to use it. if I decided instead to buy the laptop myself, i would just skip the step with Hamer Tech, go purchase the computer from Apple and then go ahead and contact Barry Bennett that I have the laptop and am ready to book a training session. Hope that helps!

hi hsalyon3 thank u for your reply really appreciate it. the apple laptop pro they have is a few years okd and because im paying so much i thought id rather get one thats from 2021 but they dont seem to stock that version can i ask you what version you currently hold? and when you got rewarded this as i believe they've changed thinhs quite alot. im really new to this as its the first time ill ever be going university this year so dsa was something i never even knew about until i was advised to do so by the university due to my condition. did they let you pay in installments?
thank you ever so much for your reply so helpful , i suffer from vertigo and partial hearing loss and migraines it was a big knockback as i woke up 11 months ago one day and lost all my hearing it was debilitating and knocked my confidence down and i had to change my career path as im already working in the NHS since a decade but being 28 now i wanted something as a backup going forward and for progression. was your daughters dsa reward last year or recent uf you dont mind me asking as they've changed things alot since 3 years

My daughter’s a first year student and all of her DSA was sorted out around May/June of last year so fairly recent.
I’m really sorry to hear about your health problems but hopefully the DSA plus the university’s disability office will be able to come up with something to make your university experience as rich and easy as possible.
Reply 9
thank you for your kind words. ive had both dsa assessments with university and dsa unfortunately wont be given any financial support through university just moral for exam timings etc, ive been told by dsa they cant fund me for travel unfortunately or anything just some towards a laptop and a software thats all
hi hsalyon3 thank u for your reply really appreciate it. the apple laptop pro they have is a few years okd and because im paying so much i thought id rather get one thats from 2021 but they dont seem to stock that version can i ask you what version you currently hold? and when you got rewarded this as i believe they've changed thinhs quite alot. im really new to this as its the first time ill ever be going university this year so dsa was something i never even knew about until i was advised to do so by the university due to my condition. did they let you pay in installments?

Hey tabby no worries! I had my Needs assessment maybe two months ago so I'm pretty much going through this process at the same time as you, right now I'm waiting for them to deliver the laptop.
oh that's interesting they offered you one that's a few years old, when I chose my laptop I think I could only choose from the most recent models, so I ordered the MacBook Pro 14" that was released last November.
Absolutely its so confusing! I'm not sure about paying in instalments though, when they sent me the quote it only said "Before equipment can be delivered payment must be made to us" and it didn't mention any other options like instalments.
Here's their FAQ from the email they sent me (not sure if it applies to everyone but it sounds like it):

"Your Upgrade Explained

You are able to upgrade your awarded laptop to meet your own personal requirements and/or your course specific applications which are not funded by the Disabled Student Allowance.

An upgrade is calculated by the value of the upgraded laptop minus the funded value, this is calculated by the value of the laptop quoted less the student contribution leaving a value funded by the disabled student, and this is then deducted from the cost of your upgrade.

Your original quotation can be found in the Needs Assessment report as a guide and as an example

e.g WKH i5-7200, 4GB, 500GB HDD 15.6” Laptop £375.00, less student contribution £200.00 leaving a funded value of £175.00. Upgraded laptop £695.00 less the remaining funded value of £175.00. leaving £520.00 which would be the upgrade cost and including the contribution.

FAQ

Can I remove equipment from my order and use this towards my upgrade?
The simple answer is no, the equipment and software form part of learning strategy , you cannot remove items and use this value towards an upgrade, if you feel that you will not benefit from a specific item it can be removed the value of this item in then removed for your original award.
My Awarded letter says I’ve been awarded over £1000.00 why do I have to pay so much?
The value on the award letter is for all of the equipment you have been awarded, software, assistive software and associated items, the upgrade can only be based on the cost of the laptop not the whole award.
I can buy a laptop with educations discount?
We are positioned within the market to also apply educational discounts this is what we do, we are a specialized provider and understand the educational sector therefore in almost all cases it will be more cost effective to purchase an upgrade via the supplier than attempting to obtain this yourself.
Along with the fact that your equipment, will be installed, setup and configured rather than you having to attempt this yourself.
Do i keep everything else?
You award remains the same, nothing changes other than the laptop/desktop you are upgrading, everything else remains the same.
Can i use the money allocated to training for my upgrade?
You cannot transfer other allowances to your equipment allowance
There are other charges on my upgrade, why?
Insurance will increase as this depends on the whole order value, your insurance is calculated on an item cost £375.00, if the upgrade item costs £1,375.00 the insurance premium will increase to cover the additional cost of the laptop.
If you require any further information regarding the upgrade please contact the upgrades department on 01785 21 22 31, if you wish to proceed with the enclosed upgrade please contact the bookings department to arrange payment and delivery."
When I was sorting the upgrade out I called the number in the last paragraph and they were really helpful so that might be an idea! Also your university should have allocated you a Disability Advisor to help you out with getting everything set up, do you have one? If not I would just google "[your uni] Disabilty team" and then shoot them an email.
Reply 11
wow that's totally different theyve not located me a disability advisor she's discharged me off the caseload as shes spoke to me for moral support when i attend university that is it nothing financially at all im left to do it all alone. i will call the number and see what they say as they gave me a link to barry bennett which only shows apple laptops from 2020 or older so confused but thank u so much youve been very helpful
wow that's totally different theyve not located me a disability advisor she's discharged me off the caseload as shes spoke to me for moral support when i attend university that is it nothing financially at all im left to do it all alone. i will call the number and see what they say as they gave me a link to barry bennett which only shows apple laptops from 2020 or older so confused but thank u so much youve been very helpful

huh well even if you haven't gotten much funding through DSA it doesn't matter, the advisor shouldn't have discharged you before helping you get things started! It can be helpful to put all the emails you receive about all this stuff into a folder where you can find them easily, especially your DSA acceptance letter (this details whatever software and hardware you've been given and they often ask for it).
Try giving that number a call, but they'll only really be able to tell you more about upgrading your laptop though. After that I would still try emailing someone from Disability/Student Welfare and explain that you need help ordering and setting up the equipment you've been awarded through DSA. Then even if you don't have a specific allocated member of staff they'll be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.
Ah you're very welcome! I'm actually 25 (in first year because I just came back to uni last September) and I still find the whole system incredibly complicated so you're not alone! Happy to answer any more questions if you come up with any too. Good luck!
Reply 13
thank u so much ive emailed barry bennett directly and been saving all my letters so i remember what im entitled too. im 28 and will be starting university in september first time so excited and nervous bit of a late starter! 😬 aww thank u youve been helpful and so has the other replies i really do appreciate it sometimes in things like this you het thrown in the deepend and left alone to sort things out same with my current situation in my jobs as ive worked a decade in general practice and now transferring to Hospitals and its very disorganized and messy so just trying to get somewhere in my career and life. what university will u be going to x
thank u so much ive emailed barry bennett directly and been saving all my letters so i remember what im entitled too. im 28 and will be starting university in september first time so excited and nervous bit of a late starter! 😬 aww thank u youve been helpful and so has the other replies i really do appreciate it sometimes in things like this you het thrown in the deepend and left alone to sort things out same with my current situation in my jobs as ive worked a decade in general practice and now transferring to Hospitals and its very disorganized and messy so just trying to get somewhere in my career and life. what university will u be going to x

aw you're most welcome! I hope you get everything sorted out! yeah places like this are so helpful when you're trying to navigate a bureaucratic nightmare like DSA haha, but I'm really glad that my experience was helpful for u in some way!
I'm at the university of Liverpool, just at the end of my first year now, wbu? oh wow that really cool, I wanted to go into medicine for ages to to be honest but I'm too sensitive lol. I hope this shift in direction works out for you!
honestly I think we're lucky going as mature students bc there's so much you don't realise to appreciate when you're 18. I went to reading at 18 (dropped out after two terms lol) and i just didn't take advantage of anything, but now I actually see the value in extra curricular stuff and the tutors make it so easy by finding out everything that's on and emailing it all to you. when I was younger I just didn't realise how none of that stuff comes easy when your on your own in the real world lol.
Reply 15
i totally agree with you. i appreciate studying mkre now than i did when i was younger. ill be at nottingham trent university.
i had my quote come through today for the laptop and god it was more expensive than i thought they gave me £1795 for apple macbook pro 14 inch but i guess there paying the remainder so it still works out cheaper than buying independently i told them id have to pay in installments as i dont have that funds right now or i may just have to wait toll student finance gives something in september but the wait for the laptop can take upto 9-10 weeks ive just been told today!
Hiya I’m in the exact same boat right now. I need to choose a laptop ASAP - love windows but none of them price match/performance match the new Apple MacBook Air m2. My only problem is Barry bennet doesn’t have the upgrade options I want! All I want is 16gb and 512 storage but they offer upgraded gpu, 512 and 8gb. What do I do? Can I ask them for a specific one or

So I’m a master student and got 2 quotes by 2 different companies.The MacBook I went for was the 2021 MacBook Pro 16 inch with 1TB storage, M1 max chip, 32 GB unified memory .
The first quote I got was from Barry Bennett which said it would cost £2200 to upagade , which I though was okay.

The next quote I got was from solutions LTD they said it would cost £1500 to upgrade.

I went with the cheaper quote then later found out that Barry Bennett don’t have good support when your laptop breaks and anything goes wrong

TLDR; yes you're still entitled to software. I'm planning on buying mine on open market due to wanting a specific Mac model (Mac cos I've used them for about a decade/my entire time at secondary taking notes, plus my looooong A Lvl English Lit coursework) and applying for DSA too late/worrying about how much longer it'll take me to go through a supplier and was given mostly Web/browser based assistive software, but the stuff that needs installing is able to be done remotely. Ask your needs assessor.

Not sure if you've already sorted the laptop situation.
I just had a remote needs assessment on Monday; my assessor knew my specific circumstances, which I put on the pre assessment questionnaire when they ask you what support you had (and also ask you if you have a laptop & whether it'll be 5yrs old by the end of the course. Given mine's a 2016 MacBook Pro which has just been declared vintage by Apple, and me telling the DSA assessor it's not in the best shape due to its age etc and has noted design flaws Apple have had to sort out - they started fixing the keyboard of my current model for free if the laptop was less than 5 yr past purchase- I was awarded a contribution to a laptop and laptop rucksack).
My issue was that I've used a Mac for years (most of, if not all of, my secondary school career. Even wrote my A Level English Lit coursework on it which was like a 20 page essay or something). Only thing I used a Windows laptop for was my GCSE and A Level exams and I was unfamiliar with the software and really struggled.

I told the assessor this and she did tell me SFE would usually fund a Windows laptop, and I would have to pay extra to upgrade etc, which is fine by me.
I wasn't sure how to apply for DSA and thought you had to apply in the summer of your degree starting (and that you also had to apply for student finance which isn't the case) so I applied rather late (18th August, after I'd spoken to the disability dept at my uni).
I mentioned this to the assessor, as I was worried it would take an extra week or even 2 to get a Mac upgrade from a DSA supplier (and they might not even have the one I specifically want)

With me starting my course soon, that would be an issue. Luckily, due to my provisional timetable and the deadline for the DSA funding approval letter means I'd only need to use my old laptop for 2 3h morning lectures on the Wed and Thurs, and 1 2 hour morning lecture on the Fri and then I should have the letter on the Monday and I'm able to ring SFE, tell them I'm buying my laptop on the open market, and have them part reimburse me, and go to the Apple Store on the Monday afternoon or the Tuesday morning (my provisional timetable only has one lecture 10am-1pm Wed & Thurs - 2 different modules - and the third module for foundation yr 10am-12pm Fri)
She recommended (Mac friendly apart from one, but I had that removed from the recommendation until there is news on the development of a Mac version) assistive software for note taking, summarising etc, and obviously I was worried about this if I bought my laptop on the open market, but she said the programs which needed to be installed could/would be done remotely (most of the software is Web/browser based)
Reply 19
i haven't bought the laptop yet as i couldn't afford so im paying in two installments. the windows one was awful so my decision for the apple one was the best i could do. there only pay around £200 for my laptop im basically paying the rest as its apple.

Quick Reply

Latest