The Student Room Group

Medicine Gap Year Stories!

Hello and Welcome!

In this thread, us re-applicants of 2022 will share our gap year experiences to remind you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. From UCAT and interview prep to joining the workforce, we've got you covered!

Get to know the people who were in your shoes last cycle alongside your fellow 2023 entry re-applicants.

About me (First year at KCL):

Spoiler

@KA_P (Incoming first year):

Spoiler

@Vanqueef (Soon to be second gap year student):

Spoiler

(Incoming first year):

Spoiler

@Clintt15 (Incoming 1st Year at Lancaster University):

Spoiler

@Ria_xx2022 (Incoming first year):

Spoiler

(Incoming first year):

Spoiler

@WTSBLG (Incoming first year):

Spoiler

@D R E A M Y (Incoming first year EMDP student at KCL):
I'm going to be a first year student at KCL for EMDP (Medicine- but extended due to extra year), but did have an offer from Cardiff to for the 5 year med course. Last year, I did have 2 interviews with Cardiff, QMUL, rejected pre-interview by Imperial and Cambridge. I ended up with no med offers and was really tempted to go for another degree and just do postgrad med, but seeing ecolier's posts saying "Don't do another degree with the sole purpose of doing graduate entry medicine because it's much harder" made me decide not to- and luckily I didn't! I will say seeing the rejections was hard. I cried on results day seeing that no uni was going into a clearing medicine course I would be eligible for. I'm sure most of us have spent most of our school lives being on top of our grades, consistently being a high achiever, so knowing I didn't get in was heartbreaking- a common feeling that gap year students may feel. I knew that I had to take a gap year so decided to plan it out. I already had my grades A*A*AAC (uhm lets just say I didn't like a particular subject). Not having to focus on getting my grades this year was relieving.

One thing I will say is to learn from your experience applying the first time, utilising the advantages you have as a gap year student! I personally found that I hated the BMAT and decided I wouldn't want to sit it again:s-smilie:. I was happier just sitting the UCAT. I didn't have an amazing score (2620 B3) but I guess I'm living proof that you don't need to have an insanely high UCAT to get into medical school, or any of those expensive courses! Seeing the score was quite disheartening because I knew my options were now limited, but I did my research and applied strategically (e.g. applying to Cardiff again because UCAT isn't something they look at heavily in the process! Note, check if the uni accepts reapplicants because different unis have different policies!) As a WP applicant, I knew that even some foundation courses were an option for me too (which I didn't know last year). I was glad though that I was still able to apply, because if it had been band 4 then it would've made things much harder for me. I posted on the 'which medical school should I apply to?' thread which I highly recommend, and put in that you're a gap year student:smile: I found out on there that as an achieved applicant, Leicester would guarantee an interview for me with my UCAT!

I spent my gap year working as a support worker in a challenging residential home for those vulnerable, with learning disabilities, mental problems etc such as severe autism or schizophrenia. It made me challenge myself! I got more used to different types of people I may encounter. I became more comfortable with things like personal care and having to think on the spot for myself.

I also spent my year travelling! I went on an all inclusive cruise around Europe- France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and only spent less than £500 on the whole thing:smile: I also got to go to Philippines for about a month! I went to go visit my friends in uni, still went to some parties and got to get a taste of the university experience, which was great:biggrin:

Turns out that my gap year wasn't the end of the world!! Your gap year doesn't have to be all about work work work and medicine!! I also got to pass my driving test this year, saved up to buy my first car and I feel like that was a massive achievement in itself. I had 3 interviews and did more interview prep. Finally got Cardiff and KCL med offers, and now I'm super excited to be starting at KCL in September!!

Reply below if you'd like to be tagged!
Tags:

Spoiler

My fellow re-applicants (please write your own introductions and I'll link them here :smile:)

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Replying so I can watch the thread. It gives me hope! Thanks
I’m a school leaver taking a gap year next year as I received 3 pre interview rejections from UCL, Barts and the London and Aberdeen and a post-interview rejection from Imperial.
My stats are A*A*A*A (Chem Bio Further maths and maths), got a 2530 on the UCAT and 6.3 5.4 and 3A on the BMAT.
I really really want to get an offer from Imperial next year, as it is my dream school. Any tips? Thanksss
Original post by Sally253
Hi! Replying so I can watch the thread. It gives me hope! Thanks
I’m a school leaver taking a gap year next year as I received 3 pre interview rejections from UCL, Barts and the London and Aberdeen and a post-interview rejection from Imperial.
My stats are A*A*A*A (Chem Bio Further maths and maths), got a 2530 on the UCAT and 6.3 5.4 and 3A on the BMAT.
I really really want to get an offer from Imperial next year, as it is my dream school. Any tips? Thanksss

Hi! Your A-Level and BMAT stats are fantastic so it sounds like with Imperial, your issue was with the interview. Have you requested feedback from them? It might give you an idea as to where to improve. I’m not an Imperial applicant so don’t know anything about their interview structure, but generally speaking, I found the ISC book and The Medic Portal’s 112 free interview questions really helpful as a starting point. Really, you just want to be able to discuss your personal attributes and motivation to study medicine as well as have an understanding of the NHS and the current healthcare news and be able to express yourself fluently. Try to practice with other people if possible, otherwise speaking out loud in front of a mirror really helps to build confidence as well as highlighting your weaker areas. I hope this helps!
Hi,
What an interesting thread.
I applied to Dentistry while doing my A-levels, I got into interviews but got rejected.
I was feeling really disappointed because taking a gap year & thinking of not studying for a whole year was just a nightmare.
During my gap year I forgot about Dentistry and applied for Medicine instead. I received 4 interview but got rejected AGAIN.
Those were my worst times of my life XD.
I thought I just cannot really stand with doing UCAT for the 3rd time but I did it but was hopeless. I did not even apply for a different course, I was believing all or nothing. I started a business during this gap year and luckily it was really successful now I'm thinking about not going to Medicine at all. This is ridiculous because it just mean all my hard works just waste hahaah.
Original post by AnonymousPotat0
Hi,
What an interesting thread.
I applied to Dentistry while doing my A-levels, I got into interviews but got rejected.
I was feeling really disappointed because taking a gap year & thinking of not studying for a whole year was just a nightmare.
During my gap year I forgot about Dentistry and applied for Medicine instead. I received 4 interview but got rejected AGAIN.
Those were my worst times of my life XD.
I thought I just cannot really stand with doing UCAT for the 3rd time but I did it but was hopeless. I did not even apply for a different course, I was believing all or nothing. I started a business during this gap year and luckily it was really successful now I'm thinking about not going to Medicine at all. This is ridiculous because it just mean all my hard works just waste hahaah.

Wow so you're on your second gap year at the moment? What was it like starting a business? Are you considering a third gap year or are you going to invest your time into your business instead? Maybe before you decide against medicine, consider why you chose it over Dentistry in your second application. If those reasons no longer apply, then it might be worth looking into other courses assuming you still want to go to university.

It sounds like you've had a really interesting experience since graduating school; would you like to share any advice for others considering a second or third gap year?
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
Hello and Welcome!

In this thread, us re-applicants of 2022 will share our gap year experiences to remind you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. From UCAT and interview prep to joining the workforce, we've got you covered!

Get to know the people who were in your shoes last cycle alongside your fellow 2023 entry re-applicants.

About me (Incoming first year at KCL):

Spoiler

My fellow re-applicants (please write your own introductions and I'll link them here :smile:)

Spoiler

Tags:

Spoiler

Hey! This is a great idea! :hugs:

Spoiler

Edit: Oops I wrote so much @IBkidinthecorner
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello and Welcome!

About me (Incoming first year at KCL):

Spoiler

Spoiler

Tags:

Spoiler

Hey guys, so unfortunately after taking a gap year I don’t have a med offer (yes it is possible to be in this predicament haha). That being said, I was able to significantly improve my application by achieving a much higher ucat score and securing two interviews. My first application to medical school was really bad if I’m honest and I didn’t actually know why I wanted medicine. After taking this year out and working in healthcare I can confidently say medicine is what I want and something I will achieve :smile: I have taken the decision to do my ucat again in July and really focus on interviews because that’s where I missed out this time. It was not an easy decision but I know I want medicine and I know I can do it and have it in me. I know it’s rough to be in this position but everything happens for a reason and I feel so happy having taken a year out to try and properly figure life out and I hope you guys also make the most off your gap year(s). Good luck to you all and remember you are not alone, if anyone needs any advice or guidance then please feel free to come on tsr. I’ve met some amazing people here who have helped me see good in this situation and have encouraged me to re apply as well haha.
Hi. I'm on one waitlist (may turn into two after June 9...) but holding out little hope of either. I had a pre-interview rejection from my "safety net" choice (despite being more than 100 above their UCAT threshold) because they didn't like how my teachers had expressed the predicted grades, and fell 10 points short of the UCAT cutoff for my other choice. So... part of me is gutted and part of me excited by the prospect of a gap year!
I've already taken on board advice about working and volunteering. Improving my UCAT will be one aim, if I can, so as to widen my application possibilities. I think I did a decent job of applying strategically, entirely thanks to the input and excellent advice of people on this forum, but my biggest problem was interview technique and prep, particularly understanding how to see and use the opportunities to talk about myself and my qualities.
Posting here to follow the thread and looking forward to reading some inspiring stories!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by KA_P
Hey! This is a great idea! :hugs:
Edit: Oops I wrote so much @IBkidinthecorner

It's brilliant! Thank you so much!
Original post by Vanqueef
Hey guys, so unfortunately after taking a gap year I don’t have a med offer (yes it is possible to be in this predicament haha). That being said, I was able to significantly improve my application by achieving a much higher ucat score and securing two interviews. My first application to medical school was really bad if I’m honest and I didn’t actually know why I wanted medicine. After taking this year out and working in healthcare I can confidently say medicine is what I want and something I will achieve :smile: I have taken the decision to do my ucat again in July and really focus on interviews because that’s where I missed out this time. It was not an easy decision but I know I want medicine and I know I can do it and have it in me. I know it’s rough to be in this position but everything happens for a reason and I feel so happy having taken a year out to try and properly figure life out and I hope you guys also make the most off your gap year(s). Good luck to you all and remember you are not alone, if anyone needs any advice or guidance then please feel free to come on tsr. I’ve met some amazing people here who have helped me see good in this situation and have encouraged me to re apply as well haha.

Thank you so much! It's lovely to hear from someone who unfortunately hasn't managed to secure a place on a gap year. No doubt your resilience and determination will stand you in good stead for next cycle. Best of luck with everything!
Original post by Gill2021
Hi. I'm on one waitlist (may turn into two after June 9...) but holding out little hope of either. I had a pre-interview rejection from my "safety net" choice (despite being more than 100 above their UCAT threshold) because they didn't like how my teachers had expressed the predicted grades, and fell 10 points short of the UCAT cutoff for my other choice. So... part of me is gutted and part of me excited by the prospect of a gap year!
I've already taken on board advice about working and volunteering. Improving my UCAT will be one aim, if I can, so as to widen my application possibilities. I think I did a decent job of applying strategically, entirely thanks to the input and excellent advice of people on this forum, but my biggest problem was interview technique and prep, particularly understanding how to see and use the opportunities to talk about myself and my qualities.
Posting here to follow the thread and looking forward to reading some inspiring stories!

We can do this!! Wishing the best for you :biggrin:

Best of luck for your waitlisted choice(s)! I hope you're able to secure a place this cycle, but if not, know that there are exciting times ahead! We're all here to support you!
Omg queen, you're putting me to shame! I feel like I need to put some more detail into mine now ahaha. Tysm for sharing your experiences in such detail!!
It was @TCL's idea, I can't take credit for it! I think I'll add in a bit more detail about how I improved my UCAT score and interview prep so it's easily accessible as I keep having to retype it out ahaha. Also, TSR on a computer is so much better omg! I exclusively use the app so this is mind-blowing lmao
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Coolkingz
We can do this!! Wishing the best for you :biggrin:

Thanks! You too!! 🙏
Best of luck for your waitlisted choice(s)! I hope you're able to secure a place this cycle, but if not, know that there are exciting times ahead! We're all here to support you!

Tysm! I can't believe how kind and supportive people are here, and I certainly wouldn't have managed to get even my two interviews without the help of the forum. Exams first, then onwards and upwards!! 😀
Tysm! I can't believe how kind and supportive people are here, and I certainly wouldn't have managed to get even my two interviews without the help of the forum. Exams first, then onwards and upwards!! 😀

Ikr it was honestly so comforting to find a community of people going through the same thing I was. Good luck for exams!! You got this!
Thank you for sharing yours too! :jumphug:
Hi, great thread! I had post interview rejections from Oxford, Notts and Bristol. As yet no feedback so don't know where I went wrong. Can you recommend a good way to do some interview practice please? UCAT 2950 B2, good BMAT and predicted full 45 points in IB. Lots of work experience etc. so don't know what went wrong, so hard to improve for next time :frown: thank you
Thank you so much, very very helpful :smile: Hope the interviews are in person next year, my Bristol one was 20mins on my mobile phone as my computer camera suddenly wouldn't work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending