The Student Room Group

firm and insurance

if you don’t want to go to your firm university and want to go to your insurance can you do that?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ala_8
if you don’t want to go to your firm university and want to go to your insurance can you do that?

Not in a straightforward way. If your firm accepts you, your insurance offer is removed automatically.

Your insurance may be able to accept you via clearing.

You can swap your reply choices now if you advise UCAS and get both the unis to agree to a reply swap.
you can if you email both of them asking to swap and they say yes. If it hasn’t been over 14 days since you have firmed then you can swap them through UCAS
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
Not in a straightforward way. If your firm accepts you, your insurance offer is removed automatically.

Your insurance may be able to accept you via clearing.

You can swap your reply choices now if you advise UCAS and get both the unis to agree to a reply swap.

If you want to apply through UCAS Extra do you have to provide a personal statement?
If you had applied for a different course and then changed mind about the course so wanting to apply through extra?
Original post by ala_8
If you want to apply through UCAS Extra do you have to provide a personal statement?
If you had applied for a different course and then changed mind about the course so wanting to apply through extra?

They'll have access to your original statement automatically. If they need a subject specific one, they ask for it. You can always contact them and offer to provide one if needs be.
Reply 5
They'll have access to your original statement automatically. If they need a subject specific one, they ask for it. You can always contact them and offer to provide one if needs be.

It’s because I had applied for a different course originally and now changed my mind so the new course is completely different.
Wouldn’t that mean they may ask for one?
I don’t have one for the new subject that I want to do though
Original post by ala_8
It’s because I had applied for a different course originally and now changed my mind so the new course is completely different.
Wouldn’t that mean they may ask for one?
I don’t have one for the new subject that I want to do though

Have you checked whether the course is still open to applications, either on UCAS or by calling the uni?

Do that first, if it's open you can decide whether rejecting any current offers is worth the risk.

I would write a new PS anyway. It's a good exercise for you. If you struggle to put it together, it may not be the right course.

You can email a copy of the revised PS to the uni after applying regardless of whether they ask for a new one. (It's up to them which version they consider.)
Hi @ala_8

My advise would be to get in touch with your firm university and see what your options are, its best to be honest :smile:

Best of luck,
Issy (4th Year Student Ambassador)
Business Management
Reply 8
Have you checked whether the course is still open to applications, either on UCAS or by calling the uni?

Do that first, if it's open you can decide whether rejecting any current offers is worth the risk.

I would write a new PS anyway. It's a good exercise for you. If you struggle to put it together, it may not be the right course.

You can email a copy of the revised PS to the uni after applying regardless of whether they ask for a new one. (It's up to them which version they consider.)

Can you just apply in clearing instead?
Also if the course is there in Extra and they don’t want you can you apply for other universities?
Reply 9
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi @ala_8

My advise would be to get in touch with your firm university and see what your options are, its best to be honest :smile:

Best of luck,
Business Management

Ah alright, haven’t firmed them yet but just wondering because it’s a mix
Reply 10
Hi @ala_8

Best of luck,
Business Management

Do you know if you apply through extra and then that university doesn’t want to take you on can you apply through extra for others and your previous university that had given you an offer?
Original post by ala_8
Can you just apply in clearing instead?

Yes, to any course that is available.

Original post by ala_8
Also if the course is there in Extra and they don’t want you can you apply for other universities?

Yes, you can keep submitting Extra applications (one at a time) until 30th June. If you get an offer, you have to choose whether to Firm it, (so no insurance choice with this route), or decline it before you can use Extra again.
Original post by ala_8
Do you know if you apply through extra and then that university doesn’t want to take you on can you apply through extra for others and your previous university that had given you an offer?

Hello,

If by extra you mean clearing then yes you can apply to any and as many universities as you want through clearing. Just be aware that you have to give up all of your offers to be put into clearing.

Issy :smile:
Reply 13
Yes, to any course that is available.

Yes, you can keep submitting Extra applications (one at a time) until 30th June. If you get an offer, you have to choose whether to Firm it, (so no insurance choice with this route), or decline it before you can use Extra again.

If you accept and firm the Extra offer that they give but then don’t meet the requirements for it do you go through clearing afterwards?
Original post by ala_8
If you accept and firm the Extra offer that they give but then don’t meet the requirements for it do you go through clearing afterwards?

Hello,

If you meet the entry requirements for your firm choice, you should be accepted there.

If you don't meet the requirements to your firm choice but you do for your insurance choice then you should be accepted by your insurance university.

If you don't meet the requirements to either your firm or insurance university then you will automatically be placed into clearing.

Hope this helps!

Reply 15
Hello,

If you meet the entry requirements for your firm choice, you should be accepted there.

If you don't meet the requirements to your firm choice but you do for your insurance choice then you should be accepted by your insurance university.

If you don't meet the requirements to either your firm or insurance university then you will automatically be placed into clearing.

Hope this helps!

Was wondering about the Extra system if you don’t meet the requirements of the extra offer that you get?
Original post by ala_8

Yes, you'll be released into Clearing if you don't meet the Extra offer and they decide not to accept you anyway.
Hello,

Hope this helps!

Just to clarify Issy, they won't have an Insurance offer if they go through Extra.
Reply 17
Yes, you'll be released into Clearing if you don't meet the Extra offer and they decide not to accept you anyway.

Just to clarify Issy, they won't have an Insurance offer if they go through Extra.

How do you check whether a course is available is Extra without firstly withdrawing your offers?
Original post by ala_8
How do you check whether a course is available is Extra without firstly withdrawing your offers?

Quickest way is just to call the uni and ask them.
Reply 19
Quickest way is just to call the uni and ask them.

Okay x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending