The Student Room Group

New Queer Netflix Series 'Heartstopper'

Hi all :hi:

I wanted to quickly suggest to everyone to watch the new Netflix series 'Heartstopper', if you have an account. I watched it all in one go yesterday and I just haven't felt the same since. I have so many feelings about it and I just had to get them out because otherwise I would burst!

I am bisexual, but I didn't realise this until I was 17, so I thankfully missed the whole 'being gay in school' thing. As I look back more and more, I realise how lucky I was. This series just filled a gap in my heart that queer people needed so desperately. It just captures so many unsaid struggles about navigating queerness that we can experience that aren't just about outright homophobia from peers. It struck a real chord with me and by the end I was just straight bawling.

Honestly, it wasn't even about the couple themselves, or the acting, or the script, because all of those were just 'okay'. It was just the message and the fact that THIS is the show I have been waiting for to give me comfort and make me really believe that our story can be represented.

Their love story was beautifully made, it's a feel good show, and it's only 8 episodes of 25 minutes each. I would recommend anyone to watch it - queer people who deserve this sort of representation in the media, and straight people who want to be better allies! :yep:

If you've seen the show, what do you think? Let me know your thoughts below and tell me if you're going to see it or not :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I am currently watching it, just finishing ep 3. I’ve read some of the comic though as I enjoy Alice Oseman’s work.

I was one of those people who had a bit of a tough time at school for a few reasons, and was mostly extremely closeted. SO I REALLY wish I’d had a show like this 10 years ago when I was early in my second school experience & figuring it all out ngl.
Original post by palaeolivic
I am currently watching it, just finishing ep 3. I’ve read some of the comic though as I enjoy Alice Oseman’s work.

I was one of those people who had a bit of a tough time at school for a few reasons, and was mostly extremely closeted. SO I REALLY wish I’d had a show like this 10 years ago when I was early in my second school experience & figuring it all out ngl.

I just thank the Lord that we've got this point that shows like this can even come out. Glee was the show that made me question my sexuality, but I'm happy for this next generation that they have this show. :yep:

Who's your favourite character / who do you resonate most with?
I watched this over the past couple of evenings. It was cute, but I didn't find it particularly special or meaningful. I've been on an LGBT+ TV/film kick lately and this just doesn't stand out for me.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 1582
I watched this over the past couple of evenings. It was cute, but I didn't find it particularly special or meaningful. I've been on an LGBT+ TV/film kick lately and this just doesn't stand out for me.

Totally fair. I think it's a good step towards having more media that queer people can relate to - we all deserve one! :yep:
I think this kind of shoehorned show is what is sparking the decline of Netflix. Not because its not needed but because of the portrayal of the community. Being LBGT shouldn't be a main character trait, that is lazy writing.

A good counter example would be Klauss from the umbrella academy. A well written character who just happens to be gay who has other personality traits and storyline.
Original post by Guru Jason
I think this kind of shoehorned show is what is sparking the decline of Netflix. Not because its not needed but because of the portrayal of the community. Being LBGT shouldn't be a main character trait, that is lazy writing.

A good counter example would be Klauss from the umbrella academy. A well written character who just happens to be gay who has other personality traits and storyline.

I would have to disagree with you. The decline of Netflix is the soaring prices and continually declining quality of movies that get uploaded.

It's a young love story, so naturally the key topic of conversation is love; this just happens to be between two boys. The show is 8 episodes long, 25 minutes each - there is very little time for anything other than the main storyline. Queer love stories are hardly swarming Netflix. I'm interested to see how you think having a crush, being in love, and being confused about who you are are 'character traits'. The same would not be said about straight people.

Giving representation to young queer people is also not 'lazy'. It's 'lazy' to not bother recognising some of the issues that straight people don't have to encounter, which is what has always happened.

TL/DR - just let us have it.
Original post by parmezanne
I would have to disagree with you. The decline of Netflix is the soaring prices and continually declining quality of movies that get uploaded.

It's a young love story, so naturally the key topic of conversation is love; this just happens to be between two boys. The show is 8 episodes long, 25 minutes each - there is very little time for anything other than the main storyline. Queer love stories are hardly swarming Netflix. I'm interested to see how you think having a crush, being in love, and being confused about who you are are 'character traits'. The same would not be said about straight people.

Giving representation to young queer people is also not 'lazy'. It's 'lazy' to not bother recognising some of the issues that straight people don't have to encounter, which is what has always happened.

TL/DR - just let us have it.

As its this genre is not one that appeals to me , I'm not watching this so I cannot judge it except on netflixs history when it comes to writing gay characters as a whole for which is doesn't have the greatest track record. (Ironic considering Klauss is from umbrella academy which is a netflix show).

Netflix has a trope where they just put together 2 characters just because they're gay without considering why these people would be attracted to each other in the first place outside of looks.

Take Holt from Brooklyn 99. How would you describe him? Serious, rigid etc. He has a whole personality outside of the fact he is gay which does feature in his story.
As its this genre is not one that appeals to me , I'm not watching this so I cannot judge it except on netflixs history when it comes to writing gay characters as a whole for which is doesn't have the greatest track record. (Ironic considering Klauss is from umbrella academy which is a netflix show).

Netflix has a trope where they just put together 2 characters just because they're gay without considering why these people would be attracted to each other in the first place outside of looks.

Take Holt from Brooklyn 99. How would you describe him? Serious, rigid etc. He has a whole personality outside of the fact he is gay which does feature in his story.

In this day and age, it's all well and good being taught 'you can be whoever you want to be' but there's very little help or recognition of the actual difficulties in understanding how to do that. Like with straight attraction, the first way form is usually through appearance. So I don't really see your point there.

Yes, gay characters should be included in every show (seeing as, in real life, all of us know at least one gay person) and the degree to which their queerness is examined can vary based on the storyline. But in this case, the featured storyline is queerness. It's the very premise of the series and it was designed to serve exactly that. So it's not 'contributing to the decline of netflix' - it's a show specifically designed to help young people and should be recognised as such. There's no threat of gay characters becoming a 'little too gay' here. As I previously said, it's one of the few shows of its kind.

I agree in other shows gay people should be allowed to have other storylines. But that's not what this show is about.
(edited 1 year ago)
just finished watching it. it was cute. liked some of the meaningful discussion and themes in it
I'm not watching this so I cannot judge it except on netflixs history when it comes to writing gay characters as a whole for which is doesn't have the greatest track record

If you watch it you'll realise that the characters are so much more than just "gay" "bisexual" "transgender" "lesbian." I understand why you'd assume the opposite but in this case that is an incorrect assumption. Yes, the show does revolve around a queer relationship but there are also themes of friendship for example and all the characters do have personalities that don't revolve around their queer identities (also, in the Webtoon, it starts shifting its focus onto mental health shortly after the Netflix adaptation's end as well so that will be explored in season 2). And the story isn't a Netflix story- it was written by Alice Oseman who (I think) is queer herself. She wrote the comic and the script for it too and was involved in the process from start to finish.

I wanted to quickly suggest to everyone to watch the new Netflix series 'Heartstopper', if you have an account. I watched it all in one go yesterday and I just haven't felt the same since. I have so many feelings about it and I just had to get them out because otherwise I would burst!

I am bisexual, but I didn't realise this until I was 17, so I thankfully missed the whole 'being gay in school' thing. As I look back more and more, I realise how lucky I was. This series just filled a gap in my heart that queer people needed so desperately. It just captures so many unsaid struggles about navigating queerness that we can experience that aren't just about outright homophobia from peers. It struck a real chord with me and by the end I was just straight bawling.

Honestly, it wasn't even about the couple themselves, or the acting, or the script, because all of those were just 'okay'. It was just the message and the fact that THIS is the show I have been waiting for to give me comfort and make me really believe that our story can be represented.

Their love story was beautifully made, it's a feel good show, and it's only 8 episodes of 25 minutes each. I would recommend anyone to watch it - queer people who deserve this sort of representation in the media, and straight people who want to be better allies! :yep:

If you've seen the show, what do you think? Let me know your thoughts below and tell me if you're going to see it or not :smile:

I really enjoyed it a lot, it was fun and heartbreaking at the same time! The representation was spot on!

Gosh if I talk too much about Heartstopper right now I won't stop and I need to revise!

But YES i think everyone should watch it it's such a cute and short watch.

It's also a graphic novel and online comic written by Alice Oseman I recommend you read it if you loved it as the show had to be slightly adapted and the comic has progressed further than the show that depicts 2 of the 6 volumes. You can read it all for free on the Webtoon and Tapas apps and the physical copies of volumes 1-4 can be bought in most UK book shops too!
Original post by sociologynerd8
I really enjoyed it a lot, it was fun and heartbreaking at the same time! The representation was spot on!

I totally agree! :hugs: :nyan:

Original post by abilaw
Gosh if I talk too much about Heartstopper right now I won't stop and I need to revise!

But YES i think everyone should watch it it's such a cute and short watch.

It's also a graphic novel and online comic written by Alice Oseman I recommend you read it if you loved it as the show had to be slightly adapted and the comic has progressed further than the show that depicts 2 of the 6 volumes. You can read it all for free on the Webtoon and Tapas apps and the physical copies of volumes 1-4 can be bought in most UK book shops too!

Ahaha it's so easy to gush about it isn't it :lol:

I'd love to do that! Great suggestion, thank you! Alice Oseman for world domination :yep: :nyan:

hi! I just finished heartstopper the other day and i'm absolutely obsessed with it, I love it. Love the characters, actors, everything. I really recommend it. One of the best things about it is that the actors are ACTUALLY TEENS. omfg i was so happy when i searched them up and saw that the main 2 character had my age. It's honestly so relieving to not see 30 year olds playing 16 y/o. They're such a good group and i honestly think more shows should cast younger actors for younger roles.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bgdlph081004
hi! I just finished heartstopper the other day and i'm absolutely obsessed with it, I love it. Love the characters, actors, everything. I really recommend it. One of the best things about it is that the actors are ACTUALLY TEENS. omfg i was so happy when i searched them up and saw that the main 2 character had my age. It's honestly so relieving to not see 30 year olds playing 16 y/o. They're such a good group and i honestly think more shows should cast younger actors for younger roles.

I know - I think this was excellent too! It definitely feels more relatable this way - when it's older people playing teens they are usually too 'perfect' - it's so unrealistic. :nyan:
I know - I think this was excellent too! It definitely feels more relatable this way - when it's older people playing teens they are usually too 'perfect' - it's so unrealistic. :nyan:

did you read the books though? :colondollar: those were really good as well!
I love Alice Oseman's works in general! Radio Silence is brilliant!! so is Loveless!
Original post by Summer Bird
did you read the books though? :colondollar: those were really good as well!
I love Alice Oseman's works in general! Radio Silence is brilliant!! so is Loveless!

No I haven't, I hadn't heard of her before I watched heartstopper! I will def investigate :yep:
No I haven't, I hadn't heard of her before I watched heartstopper! I will def investigate :yep:

You should... good lbtqia rep as well! Loveless has an aroace main character and its so good!

i will thanks