The Student Room Group

GSCE and School Admission

I am coming into UK but currently in year 10 final term overseas (my country) and should be writing IGSCE in October. Do you advise I stay back to write the GSCE or come in August and repeat Year 10 to register and prepare for next GSCE. Also do you think I will be accepted in Year 11 if I come in August 2022
Reply 1
Hi!
I was in a similar-ish situation to you a few years ago, I really didn't want to redo year 10, but it's up to you. It's very unlikely you will be allowed to go to Year 11 directly, especially if your new school isn't doing iGCSEs and your subjects aren't from the same board. And even if your subjects are from the same board, your new school might have taught the course in a different order than your old one, so basically, you can try asking, but I think it isn't very likely.

How have you been doing this year? Do you think you could get better results if you redid the year, or would you rather move on? I personally would want to stay back and do my iGCSEs instead of repeating year 10, but I am not you, and it depends on which would be better for you overall.
Original post by kavess
I am coming into UK but currently in year 10 final term overseas (my country) and should be writing IGSCE in October. Do you advise I stay back to write the GSCE or come in August and repeat Year 10 to register and prepare for next GSCE. Also do you think I will be accepted in Year 11 if I come in August 2022

If you are intending to join a state school (if your residency status allows it) I agree with @aardra that you'd be very lucky to be accepted into year 11 for GCSE. Year 11 classes may be 'full' and there is always some reluctance to accept new students that will be a drain on teacher time or who may struggle to do well. Depending on your age though, joining year 10 might also be an issue. Although your parents could approach schools informally for advice I don't think you'll be able to get a decision until you were actually resident in UK. There is a statutory duty on local authorities to find you a place if you are entitled to one but it may end up not being one that you would want to choose.

If your parents are funding you to attend a fee-paying private school that may be very different. They are more likely to be studying IGCSE and generally have much smaller class sizes so can be more flexible in supporting you to catch up on anything missed. Your parents could contact relevant schools and get a definite answer from them.

My advice would be complete your IGCSE exams where you are in the Autumn. Use spring and summer to spend time with family and friends, do some extracurricular/enrichment activites relevant to your A level choices, learn to play the guitar or paint with water colours, resit some exams in the May/June period if you need to improve any subject results. Then join a UK school in September 2023.
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
If you are intending to join a state school (if your residency status allows it) I agree with @aardra that you'd be very lucky to be accepted into year 11 for GCSE. Year 11 classes may be 'full' and there is always some reluctance to accept new students that will be a drain on teacher time or who may struggle to do well. Depending on your age though, joining year 10 might also be an issue. Although your parents could approach schools informally for advice I don't think you'll be able to get a decision until you were actually resident in UK. There is a statutory duty on local authorities to find you a place if you are entitled to one but it may end up not being one that you would want to choose.

If your parents are funding you to attend a fee-paying private school that may be very different. They are more likely to be studying IGCSE and generally have much smaller class sizes so can be more flexible in supporting you to catch up on anything missed. Your parents could contact relevant schools and get a definite answer from them.

My advice would be complete your IGCSE exams where you are in the Autumn. Use spring and summer to spend time with family and friends, do some extracurricular/enrichment activites relevant to your A level choices, learn to play the guitar or paint with water colours, resit some exams in the May/June period if you need to improve any subject results. Then join a UK school in September 2023.

Thanks so so much..this is much appreciated. The fact is that I hold a British citizenship/passport...also it seems taking IGSCE this October will not be feasible as my school overseas just email me that my CGPA is less than the required for the IGSCE. I am just worried if I decide to move as my daddy already in UK will I get a placement for Year 11?
Thanks
Original post by kavess
Thanks so so much..this is much appreciated. The fact is that I hold a British citizenship/passport...also it seems taking IGSCE this October will not be feasible as my school overseas just email me that my CGPA is less than the required for the IGSCE. I am just worried if I decide to move as my daddy already in UK will I get a placement for Year 11?
Thanks

They have to find you a place but it can take time, I'd recommend your dad starts contact with the local authority as soon as possible.
https://www.gov.uk/schools-admissions
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest