The Student Room Group

Junior maths challenge 2022 result

My daughter is currentlyin year 7 and finally got her JMC 2022 result recently. It is 90 out of 135. Before competition, she hadworked through past papers from 2021 to 2017 and had a range from 100 to 120. Therefore, 90 is kind of disappointed.

During exam, my daughter onlyfinished question from 1-20. She got 3 wrong in first 20 questions, and left blanksfor all last 5 question.

Definitely, my daughter needimprove the skill of time management (she know how to answer 3 questions in lastfive question, but did not get chance to do it).

However, I also think my daughteris not capable to sort out unfamiliar question in a short time. For example, question7 and question 11. Could somebody suggest how to improve this kind of ability? My daughter used to work on long problem from NRICH;however, it seems not helpful.
Original post by louislulu
My daughter is currentlyin year 7 and finally got her JMC 2022 result recently. It is 90 out of 135. Before competition, she hadworked through past papers from 2021 to 2017 and had a range from 100 to 120. Therefore, 90 is kind of disappointed.
During exam, my daughter onlyfinished question from 1-20. She got 3 wrong in first 20 questions, and left blanksfor all last 5 question.
Definitely, my daughter needimprove the skill of time management (she know how to answer 3 questions in lastfive question, but did not get chance to do it).
However, I also think my daughteris not capable to sort out unfamiliar question in a short time. For example, question7 and question 11. Could somebody suggest how to improve this kind of ability? My daughter used to work on long problem from NRICH;however, it seems not helpful.

Its hard to give too specific advice and 90 isn't bad a bad score in y7, but some things she could do if shes interested in improving. Note that each challenge is a once a year test, and sometimes people underperform or overperform and as long as shes learning / enjoying it, don't stress too much about it.
* The JMC extended solutions have extra problems for investigation. Especially for the ones she gets wrong/cant do, its worth going over them.
* Use the kangaroo/olympiad questions in a similar way you'd use the nrich problems.
* There is a ukmt mentoring scheme and there is parallel https://parallel.org.uk/ and some resources on drfrostmaths https://www.drfrostmaths.com/page.php?id=5
* The murderous maths books are entertaining and surprisingly detailed.

Id not be too stressed about speed. It should come with a bit of experience. However, some people are a bit slower but it doesn't necessarily reflect on their ability.
(edited 1 year ago)
The above user is right about how performance can vary regardless of how much prep you do. I got lower than 90 in Year 7 and 8 but got into the Olympiad in Year 10.
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
Its hard to give too specific advice and 90 isn't bad a bad score in y7, but some things she could do if shes interested in improving. Note that each challenge is a once a year test, and sometimes people underperform or overperform and as long as shes learning / enjoying it, don't stress too much about it.
* The JMC extended solutions have extra problems for investigation. Especially for the ones she gets wrong/cant do, its worth going over them.
* Use the kangaroo/olympiad questions in a similar way you'd use the nrich problems.
* There is a ukmt mentoring scheme and there is parallel https://parallel.org.uk/ and some resources on drfrostmaths https://www.drfrostmaths.com/page.php?id=5

Id not be too stressed about speed. It should come with a bit of experience. However, some people are a bit slower but it doesn't necessarily reflect on their ability.

Thanks for your suggestion. It seems that my daughter is a little bit deflated about the result. Anyway, she will be fine in time.

My daughter also worked through a few JMO past papers with which she feels more comfortable than JMC. It is strange; probable because there is more time on long question. In my opinion, JMC is more like an aptitude test (similar to non-verbal reasoning test) and JMO involve more math knowledge and skill. Is it normal that somebody failed on JMC and perform better on JMO?

Just have a quick look at kangaroo which is very similar to JMC and but harder. To be honest, i personally more like nrich long question and JMC extended question which are helpful to think Mathematically but will not helpful on JMC type question(short question with time pressure). It is hard to choose due to limited study time.

I
Reply 4
Original post by Mr. Average
The above user is right about how performance can vary regardless of how much prep you do. I got lower than 90 in Year 7 and 8 but got into the Olympiad in Year 10.

Thanks for your response. It is encouraging.
Original post by mqb2766

UKMT mentoring is only applicable if needs can't be met in school - there are resources for use in school though.
Thanks for your response. It is encouraging.

UKMT sell books [look at the Junior problems] and Dr Frost [as mentioned above] has a whole database of old problems.

UKMT Twitter have a problem of the week ...
https://www.ukmt.org.uk/competitions/solo/junior-mathematical-challenge/archive

Some free resources - most maths departments will loan UKMT books.
Thanks for your suggestion. It seems that my daughter is a little bit deflated about the result. Anyway, she will be fine in time.

My daughter also worked through a few JMO past papers with which she feels more comfortable than JMC. It is strange; probable because there is more time on long question. In my opinion, JMC is more like an aptitude test (similar to non-verbal reasoning test) and JMO involve more math knowledge and skill. Is it normal that somebody failed on JMC and perform better on JMO?

Just have a quick look at kangaroo which is very similar to JMC and but harder. To be honest, i personally more like nrich long question and JMC extended question which are helpful to think Mathematically but will not helpful on JMC type question(short question with time pressure). It is hard to choose due to limited study time.

I

Each competition has its own format with the obvious advantages / disadvantages. The challenge is taken by a couple of hundred thousand kids, so having a time limit and making it multichoice is pretty much dictated by that. One thing she might want to practice is some of the problem solving techniques which can get you started on problems you may not be familiar with (sub numbers in, simplify problems, work back from the answer, sketching problems, solve simpler analogous problems, ....). Its surprising how many questions can be solved relatively simply/quickly if you look at them the right way. Similarly a bit of reflection about different ways to solve problems, even if you get them right is useful. Something like parallell can help (or the extension books by gardiner or ...) as it will start to explain some of the different sorts of probllems as well as a bit of the history behind/development of maths, and whille the jmc doesnt really need much more than y6 maths, the style of questions can be different, so they ask the question from a different viewpoint. For instance, area problems are often less about mutiplying lengths together, rather they about splitting up shapes and equating / finding the ratio of different parts. This was the greek way to approach things.

It sounds like shes underperformed and its natural to be a bit deflated. For most kids, getting more experience under their belts will improve their timing/robustness and generally doing something regularly (like parallel or ... ~once a week or so) is beneficial. And Id agree with you that for interest / exploring maths, doing longer / harder problems (nrich, olympiad, ...) is certainly more interesting.
(edited 1 year ago)

Just for info, this year the JMC gave no penalties for incorrect answers (usually penalised for Q16-25), so it would have been worth guessing the final 5! Not that this is how to improve actual mathematic performance, but that could have been an extra handful of marks potentially.
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
Each competition has its own format with the obvious advantages / disadvantages. The challenge is taken by a couple of hundred thousand kids, so having a time limit and making it multichoice is pretty much dictated by that. One thing she might want to practice is some of the problem solving techniques which can get you started on problems you may not be familiar with (sub numbers in, simplify problems, work back from the answer, sketching problems, solve simpler analogous problems, ....). Its surprising how many questions can be solved relatively simply/quickly if you look at them the right way. Similarly a bit of reflection about different ways to solve problems, even if you get them right is useful. Something like parallell can help (or the extension books by gardiner or ...) as it will start to explain some of the different sorts of probllems as well as a bit of the history behind/development of maths, and whille the jmc doesnt really need much more than y6 maths, the style of questions can be different, so they ask the question from a different viewpoint. For instance, area problems are often less about mutiplying lengths together, rather they about splitting up shapes and equating / finding the ratio of different parts. This was the greek way to approach things.

It sounds like shes underperformed and its natural to be a bit deflated. For most kids, getting more experience under their belts will improve their timing/robustness and generally doing something regularly (like parallel or ... ~once a week or so) is beneficial. And Id agree with you that for interest / exploring maths, doing longer / harder problems (nrich, olympiad, ...) is certainly more interesting.

I agree with you that my daughter need to practice some of problem solving technique. I am currently trying to buy the book 'First steps for Problem Solvers' written by Andrew Jobbings. What do you think about this book? Apart from introduction, i can not find any further information about this book, content, for example? Is there any pdf version for this book?
I agree with you that my daughter need to practice some of problem solving technique. I am currently trying to buy the book 'First steps for Problem Solvers' written by Andrew Jobbings. What do you think about this book? Apart from introduction, i can not find any further information about this book, content, for example? Is there any pdf version for this book?

Ive not read that one so can't really comment (don't doubt its good though) and the ukmt stuff generally doesn't have free/download versions. Ive used/recommend
https://www.worldscientific.com/worldscibooks/10.1142/9478
which has a couple of sample chapters at the bottom. £20 softback and I like it. Its probably more roughly imc level, but a good jmc'er would grow with it for a couple of years and learn a lot.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest