The Student Room Group

Am I actually more broke than I think

Hi,

I was whizzing around a Shopping mall when I randomly happened to look into a shop and I saw this T-shirt. I attached an image below but it looks like a normal average T-Shirt. Yet it’s £100!

Is that a rip off? Or am I actually broke. I mean like, if I bought one for my family that’s £700. I could even buy a cheap car with that money!
2561D249-F8BD-44DB-AF2B-01862E25F18B.jpg.jpeg

Sorry here’s the photo attachment.
B7C3C636-C958-4EC7-BE63-F61C2F97F365.jpg.jpeg and here’s proof of the price tag
The fact that you're basing your financial situation on the value of a t-shirt from Boss raises some questions, tbf.
Hugo Boss uses forced slave labour, they can take their t-shirts and stuff them up their arses for all I care
Original post by Callicious
The fact that you're basing your financial situation on the value of a t-shirt from Boss raises some questions, tbf.

No but I tend to see simple clothes that are actually more expensive than they look and I’m confused to know if that’s the nowadays typical price and that I’m a cheapskate, or if they’re all just expensive and for rich people
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Hugo Boss uses forced slave labour, they can take their t-shirts and stuff them up their arses for all I care

You do have a point, but I’m sure I’ve seen JD sell shoes that are minimum £60 so I don’t know if it’s JD too and not just Hugo Boss that forces slavery
(edited 1 year ago)
I assume that you are a student with limited savings living off either student loans, financial support from family or part time income.
After paying for accomodation costs, most students in similar circumstances have limited monthly budgets available for things like food and clothes.
New branded garments from upmarket designer companies like Hugo Boss and Armani priced above £60 are generally outside of the average uni home students budgets.
Choosing an extortionately high priced item to base your worth on is not a good idea.

The opposite can happen when you pick up a top for £1.50 in Primark. It doesn’t make you rich.

Hugo boss is traditionally an expensive brand. The majority of people don’t own designer items, or maybe have 1 or 2 as birthday or Christmas presents.
Your average joe doesn’t go and buy a £100 shirt regularly.

If you really want to determine if you’re “broke” ask yourself can you afford your essentials like rent food bills travel costs etc. They’re the things people use to assess their financial situation not luxury goods.

Quick Reply

Latest