The Student Room Group

8000 words dissertation in 2.5 day - is it possible?

Hi guys,

Thanks to depression, procrastination and suicidal thoughts, I have the situation as in the title. I want to literally kill myself, but I will try to write this. I think I just need 40 or 45 to have 2.1. overall grade. But I still find it hard af. On positive notes, I have that margin set by my uni (-+10%) so 7200 words is fine as well.

But the question is: Is it possible? I think I just need words of support because I am already going crazy. What would happen if I would hand 6000 words for example? Would I automatically fail?

Deadline is on Wednesday 12PM.

Thanks and wish me luck
I don't know if it's possible to do it in 2.5 days but my brother did the remaining half of his dissertation (70 pages long in total but quite a few pages were of diagrams, could've been anywhere from 7,000-11,000 words) on the day before it was due. He was in the library from 9am to 7am the next day though.

I'm only in first year at uni so I haven't experienced writing that many words yet so I can't really give you much of what I think about it
Reply 2
Wishing you serious luck. I do this with all my coursework too, and trust me it's possible, though it's chaotic and terrible. Good luck, and I'm sorry about your mental health, that's horrible, but I believe you can do this 100%.
Original post by simon009
Hi guys,

Thanks to depression, procrastination and suicidal thoughts, I have the situation as in the title. I want to literally kill myself, but I will try to write this. I think I just need 40 or 45 to have 2.1. overall grade. But I still find it hard af. On positive notes, I have that margin set by my uni (-+10%) so 7200 words is fine as well.

But the question is: Is it possible? I think I just need words of support because I am already going crazy. What would happen if I would hand 6000 words for example? Would I automatically fail?

Thanks and wish me luck

Check your university policy. Is there any chance of getting an extension given your extenuating circumstances?

If not, what’s your university’s policy on handing in assignments late. For example, if it’s 5% per day, it may be worth handing in a day late if it’s not physically possible to complete in the time you have left.
(edited 1 year ago)
Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely that it turns out good? No. It takes a serious amount of research, and you have to reference a ton which can take up hours on its own
8000 words in 2 days is doable from a writing perspective although i do think the lack of time for reviewing will lead to poorer quality submission.

The research that goes into 8000 words cannot be done to a dissertation standard… that said if all you want to do is scrape a pass.. its been done.
Original post by simon009
Hi guys,

Thanks and wish me luck

Yes, it is possible, however as other people said, it's going to lead to worse quality., but at least you can do it. You will have to spend a lot of energy to do this and probably in the end you will feel like a squashed lemon. Grab yourself a lot of caffeine drinks, and smash it until you get it done. Sorry to hear about your mental health problems.
Reply 7
Original post by Jpw1097
Check your university policy. Is there any chance of getting an extension given your extenuating circumstances?

If not, what’s your university’s policy on handing in assignments late. For example, if it’s 5% per day, it may be worth handing in a day late if it’s not physically possible to complete in the time you have left.

All I can apply for is deferral, my work is already extended. I think I would get 0 for handing my work late in the current circumstances. I could apply for a deferral, but I don't have any note from the GP confirming that I have depression/anxiety/suicidal thoughts. All I have when it comes to evidence is the conversations I had with the two of my professors in February/March and this month. I can try to apply but I am not very confident about it.
Reply 8
To scrape a pass, yes. But this is catastrophically poor planning even with your mental health issues.

Have you spoken to student support etc about your problems? They cannot help if they do not know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending