The Student Room Group

I waxed my skin off

Recently I attempted to wax my face and now it's gone all horribly wrong, I made loads of mistakes which has resulted in my face having wax burns, go all red and blotchy :frown: I waxed over the same area (using hard wax) multiple times because I didn't know you're not supposed to do that and now those areas of my skin feel tight, have got loads of fine wrinkles, feel like plastic and burn when I try to wash my face or put any products on it. Also when I touch those areas of the skin they feel very thin, wrinkly and just fragile. The only thing that's not painful on my face is vaseline. Is there any way that I can get rid of this? will my skin heal over time? I'm very young but waxing my skin has given it soooo many fine wrinkles, is there any way I can get rid of it, I feel like an old woman. Also can anyone recommend ways that I can get rid of my peach fuzz without harming my skin. I wish I never waxed my face in the first place but my family has always insulted my appearance especially my face so now I try to change but whenever I do everything just gets worse and they insult me even more, they insult every single thing about me ranging from my nose, teeth, eyes, hair, head shape, feet, body, skin, height, face shape literally e v e r y t h i n g.
It will heal but will take a few days. The skin will turn dry/crusty and will peel eventually. Make sure to keep the areas well moisturised in the meantime.

If you are really keen to keep removing hair from your face, you could look into hair removal creams - there are ones specifically for that area. The other option is to use bleach creams - Jolen is a popular brand but there are others, including own brand ones. But it may be worth thinking about why you want the hair to be gone and whether you are doing it for yourself or for other people - if you want to do it for yourself, that's totally fine, but if you are only doing it just because other people are commenting, it may be worth re-evaluating whether it really is something you need to do and whether it make you happy. I'm sorry your family are so mean and feel the need to make comments about your appearance. Try and not let it get to you if you can.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
You seem to be having quite a hard time with bullying and unpleasant remarks from your family. No wonder your self esteem is through your boots. I'm not sure how you should best cope with this because ultimately it is your family and you know them best. I can say you have to learn how to love your self, and be at one with the body you have and the mind that berates it.

That said you have to find a way to stand your ground for their cruel behaviour. Who isn't insulting you in your family circles? Work out who is doing it and why? Small men big themselves up. Small women practice power play. Sometimes the best way forward is to find the defects or the physical irregularities that bother them (because they will have some) and keep them in reserve as ammunition. Be proud of yourself - no one is perfect - ever. Have you sometimes felt a spot on your face, and it feels huge, like really huge. Yet when you look in the mirror its like 'Is that it' and you can hardly see it?
Many of our perceived faults are magnified by our own minds. What we need to achieve is a thick skin and be comfortable with the whole, where you can give it 'yeah, so what'

What do your family get out of being cruel? Do they hide behind the verbals to others to boost their own insecurities? Do they do it because they know they score a direct hit every time and get some emotional mileage out of it by your reaction? Does it make them feel better when actually they are none too sure about themselves.

Just try - 'Hey/Oy - Be nice' and leave it at that. Look them in the eye.

Or say "Listen (what ever they perceive as a failed attribute they have - fat feet etc) leave it out." Just say "Yes that's me" and own it. They can't get to you if you are proud of your crooked teeth, big nose, cross eyes, flat feet, moon head, 7'00" height. Right? You can view it as a positive. If I can live with my size 10 feet, and if people want to laugh at me, while they do that, they are not laughing at anyone else. Take one for the team and feel proud you can hold the incoming fire.

How do you think some disabled people feel when they have adverse comments made about their disabilities in public? It takes a lot of courage to wear your body with pride. What you actually do with your physical self is far more important than the superficial image you passively want to portray. How shallow - if you don't have the movie star looks then you are not worthy - of ??? Well look around you and go out and meet all the people in your school, in your sixth form, in your Uni, in the town, the County, the UK Some of those people have the most awful disfigurements but have the proverbial skin of an alligator and have the inner confidence to say 'find someone else to bully' I am as I am. Katie Piper has courage in bucketfuls. What about young people scarred by open heart surgery, who have lost limbs to meningitis, been scarred by acne, involved in crashes, are burnt. They all find love because love is about connecting with and loving the soul and the bones of someone not just the superficial outer wrappings. Some of the best marriages are about loving the brain.

So how can you boost your self esteem? What are you good at? Everyone has something that they are proud of or good at. Go out there and join a club or start a sport, a hobby, gardening, cookery, cycling, swimming. Meet people. Volunteer to help others. The world is out there so don't be penned in my your family making comments. What are your aspirations in life? Reach for the stars and achieve them. Grit your teeth and believe in yourself. Don't let others remarks make you undergo something you feel will make you beautiful or 'the same' as everyone else. Who are they to say you need to look like someone else. You will waste a fortune. You only have to look at the £££ spent on lip fillers, cheek fillers, botox, creams, nose jobs, boob jobs to understand everyone is feeling vulnerable and wants to look like someone else. When you are happy in your skin and you just don't care what others think you are bombproof. Enjoy that feeling when you find it.

Meanwhile - you can do an awful amount of damage trying to eradicate something that probably 99% of people wouldn't even notice. Its only when you point it out to someone else and they go 'Where, what, what are you on about?' (then they are too busy thinking about themselves again) that they think you are a bit of an over thinker. So potentially you have damaged your skin to a very minor degree. Usually the crazy paving skin sloughs off and underneath is new stuff. There isn't a lot you can do but it will heal. Fortunately your youthful skin will heal very rapidly. Just don't be tempted to pick scabs or you will be scarred. Keep your skin clean and moisturised with E45 or similar face creams and it will heal itself beautifully. Keep it clean and make up free and in a few day/week the wrinkly scaly skin will disappear. If you are at all worried, you know the drill - seek professional medical advice.

Keep :smile: :h: and practice 'Shrug' - water off a ducks back to everyone else.

Your verbal tormentors sound like they are far more insecure than you will ever be.
Original post by Anonymous
Recently I attempted to wax my face and now it's gone all horribly wrong, I made loads of mistakes which has resulted in my face having wax burns, go all red and blotchy :frown: I waxed over the same area (using hard wax) multiple times because I didn't know you're not supposed to do that and now those areas of my skin feel tight, have got loads of fine wrinkles, feel like plastic and burn when I try to wash my face or put any products on it. Also when I touch those areas of the skin they feel very thin, wrinkly and just fragile. The only thing that's not painful on my face is vaseline. Is there any way that I can get rid of this? will my skin heal over time? I'm very young but waxing my skin has given it soooo many fine wrinkles, is there any way I can get rid of it, I feel like an old woman. Also can anyone recommend ways that I can get rid of my peach fuzz without harming my skin. I wish I never waxed my face in the first place but my family has always insulted my appearance especially my face so now I try to change but whenever I do everything just gets worse and they insult me even more, they insult every single thing about me ranging from my nose, teeth, eyes, hair, head shape, feet, body, skin, height, face shape literally e v e r y t h i n g.

Ur family sound kinda mad,thats disgusting if they do that.ur wax burns are gonna take days to heal and even then theres gonna be a mark thats gonna stay for longer.just treat it with some vaseline and sudocream.and u can try cover it up with makeup
Original post by Muttly
You seem to be having quite a hard time with bullying and unpleasant remarks from your family. No wonder your self esteem is through your boots. I'm not sure how you should best cope with this because ultimately it is your family and you know them best. I can say you have to learn how to love your self, and be at one with the body you have and the mind that berates it.

That said you have to find a way to stand your ground for their cruel behaviour. Who isn't insulting you in your family circles? Work out who is doing it and why? Small men big themselves up. Small women practice power play. Sometimes the best way forward is to find the defects or the physical irregularities that bother them (because they will have some) and keep them in reserve as ammunition. Be proud of yourself - no one is perfect - ever. Have you sometimes felt a spot on your face, and it feels huge, like really huge. Yet when you look in the mirror its like 'Is that it' and you can hardly see it?
Many of our perceived faults are magnified by our own minds. What we need to achieve is a thick skin and be comfortable with the whole, where you can give it 'yeah, so what'

What do your family get out of being cruel? Do they hide behind the verbals to others to boost their own insecurities? Do they do it because they know they score a direct hit every time and get some emotional mileage out of it by your reaction? Does it make them feel better when actually they are none too sure about themselves.

Just try - 'Hey/Oy - Be nice' and leave it at that. Look them in the eye.

Or say "Listen (what ever they perceive as a failed attribute they have - fat feet etc) leave it out." Just say "Yes that's me" and own it. They can't get to you if you are proud of your crooked teeth, big nose, cross eyes, flat feet, moon head, 7'00" height. Right? You can view it as a positive. If I can live with my size 10 feet, and if people want to laugh at me, while they do that, they are not laughing at anyone else. Take one for the team and feel proud you can hold the incoming fire.

How do you think some disabled people feel when they have adverse comments made about their disabilities in public? It takes a lot of courage to wear your body with pride. What you actually do with your physical self is far more important than the superficial image you passively want to portray. How shallow - if you don't have the movie star looks then you are not worthy - of ??? Well look around you and go out and meet all the people in your school, in your sixth form, in your Uni, in the town, the County, the UK Some of those people have the most awful disfigurements but have the proverbial skin of an alligator and have the inner confidence to say 'find someone else to bully' I am as I am. Katie Piper has courage in bucketfuls. What about young people scarred by open heart surgery, who have lost limbs to meningitis, been scarred by acne, involved in crashes, are burnt. They all find love because love is about connecting with and loving the soul and the bones of someone not just the superficial outer wrappings. Some of the best marriages are about loving the brain.

So how can you boost your self esteem? What are you good at? Everyone has something that they are proud of or good at. Go out there and join a club or start a sport, a hobby, gardening, cookery, cycling, swimming. Meet people. Volunteer to help others. The world is out there so don't be penned in my your family making comments. What are your aspirations in life? Reach for the stars and achieve them. Grit your teeth and believe in yourself. Don't let others remarks make you undergo something you feel will make you beautiful or 'the same' as everyone else. Who are they to say you need to look like someone else. You will waste a fortune. You only have to look at the £££ spent on lip fillers, cheek fillers, botox, creams, nose jobs, boob jobs to understand everyone is feeling vulnerable and wants to look like someone else. When you are happy in your skin and you just don't care what others think you are bombproof. Enjoy that feeling when you find it.

Meanwhile - you can do an awful amount of damage trying to eradicate something that probably 99% of people wouldn't even notice. Its only when you point it out to someone else and they go 'Where, what, what are you on about?' (then they are too busy thinking about themselves again) that they think you are a bit of an over thinker. So potentially you have damaged your skin to a very minor degree. Usually the crazy paving skin sloughs off and underneath is new stuff. There isn't a lot you can do but it will heal. Fortunately your youthful skin will heal very rapidly. Just don't be tempted to pick scabs or you will be scarred. Keep your skin clean and moisturised with E45 or similar face creams and it will heal itself beautifully. Keep it clean and make up free and in a few day/week the wrinkly scaly skin will disappear. If you are at all worried, you know the drill - seek professional medical advice.

Keep :smile: :h: and practice 'Shrug' - water off a ducks back to everyone else.

Your verbal tormentors sound like they are far more insecure than you will ever be

Thanks a lot for the advice! after reading through your message and others I feel way more confident, I'm going to start ignoring their insults even though it'll be hard but its better than letting them get to me
Original post by Coldhands0
Ur family sound kinda mad,thats disgusting if they do that.ur wax burns are gonna take days to heal and even then theres gonna be a mark thats gonna stay for longer.just treat it with some vaseline and sudocream.and u can try cover it up with makeup

My family really is mad :frown: the other day my older sisters who are full grown adults were going to my sister (11) and telling her that her ass is too flat and she needs to stop smiling because she'll get wrinkles smh. How long do you think the marks will stay?
My family really is mad :frown: the other day my older sisters who are full grown adults were going to my sister (11) and telling her that her ass is too flat and she needs to stop smiling because she'll get wrinkles smh. How long do you think the marks will stay?

Thats insane,u should try tell someone and maybe leave that house for a foster care or something.it really depends how bad it is because i cant really see it but normally i would say atleast 3 or 2 weeks

This happened to me a couple years back in secondary everyone commented on my upper lip and slight mono brow ( barely a mono brow just a few thin hairs ) so i tweezed the few hairs between my eyebrows that left small bumps then eventually went away and i too used waxing strips on my upper lip hoping to rid myself of the hair . but .. i had waxed multiple times and ending up ripping off the skin . it was terrible it scarred and went all crusty and then pink and then finally healed but left hyperpigmentation there and now my upper lip had a shadow that always makes it look hairy .. so my best advice stop trying to change urself to benefit others . don’t listen to them . continue applying vaseline and was the scabs don’t pick at it just massage it gently with vaseline . there’s a lot of scar gels u can find in shops that might help . also if u still want to remove hair , try threading theres tutorials on youtube and honestly it’s better than waxing or shaving trust me . it’s hurts like a b but it gets the job done and doesn’t left any harm at all .
Reply 9
Look at the money involved here. Who is making such a huge profit out of you and me and our insecurities?

The make up market is worth billions. So there is no one at a commercial or Govt level wishing to reduce anyone's insecurities. It helps company profits if people can be persuaded to buy products they don't need.

If you don't aspire to the best leg waxing, facial hair waxing, bikini shape there must be something wrong with you? Who is driving this? Thank goodness, yes it is ordinary people and social media who heap the pressure on everyone to 'conform' to the beauty belief. Use this cream for eternal wrinkle free skin (it never works) have this filler (seen the side effects when it goes wrong) Endure this botox (Oh I now look so wonderful) Shave here (Newest sharpest blades)

If you shun all of those costly products will you still find your soul mate? Absolutely. The cosmetic industry has now realised that men are just as insecure as women and they can hoodwink so many more people to buy into products they don't need. Whoopee. Will this ever end?

So just who are we doing all this for?

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear this :frown:

I recently had a somewhat stressful and traumatic experience getting a wax and this resulted in red, bumped and irritated skin around the area that was waxed. After doing some research, products containing tea tree oil greatly relieved the area. Though tea tree oil itself is not recommended as this can clog the pores, tea tree lotion can work wonders as this gives a cooling effect to calm the skin. I'm currently using The Body Shop 'Tea Tree Night Lotion'. Aloe vera also helps!
Following a wax and your experience, the skin is more sensitive and likely traumatised from having the hair follicles removed. Therefore, it's important to take extra care to look after your skin. So, focus on using products that are suited for sensitive skin, and avoid fragrances/parfum that are known irritants.

Have you looked at the epilator? This is supposedly a painless device for removing unwanted hairs. Hair removal cream is another recommendation.

Adding to what the others have said, managing critique from your family members is a traumatic experience itself and I'm sorry you're going through this. Being young, it's hard because all you want to do is fit in :frown: You may not fit someone's ideal, but it's important to know what you want and what suits you because the last thing you want is to lose yourself in the process of being someone else you're not. At the end of the day, you're loved and admired for being you. If you choose to wax, do so because it's for you and not anyone else. In society today, beauty standards can be stupidly unrealistic and it's dangerous how far people are willing to go for vanity. Instead, learn to like your imperfections because people are more likely to judge you because it makes them feel better. People will always judge because it's easy to judge. Comments regarding your appearance is a reflection of their behaviour, not you. Don't succumb to the comments and be proud of who you are. Think about how you would be looking back at your younger self in 10 years' time and how differently you'll think about things.

Truth be told, you're probably beautiful just the way you are :smile:

Veronica
Student Ambassador
Original post by Coldhands0
Thats insane,u should try tell someone and maybe leave that house for a foster care or something.it really depends how bad it is because i cant really see it but normally i would say atleast 3 or 2 weeks

thanks for your concern but I wouldn't consider foster care or smth because hopefully I'll move out in a few years for university, for now I'm just going to ignore them
thanks for your concern but I wouldn't consider foster care or smth because hopefully I'll move out in a few years for university, for now I'm just going to ignore them

Ok,well good luck

Quick Reply

Latest