The Student Room Group

Gcse bio

Pls may someone explain this to me - I don't understand why the answer is stage 4 xx Than you!

It is this question linked (I am not subscribed so can't access the explanation!)
vvv
https://www.coursehero.com/tutors-problems/cell-biology/33055859-I-dont-get-these-two-questions-c-A-student-wanted-to-find-out/
Original post by Maria303
Pls may someone explain this to me - I don't understand why the answer is stage 4 xx Than you!

It is this question linked (I am not subscribed so can't access the explanation!)
vvv
https://www.coursehero.com/tutors-problems/cell-biology/33055859-I-dont-get-these-two-questions-c-A-student-wanted-to-find-out/

Hey, the question is confusing and i'm doing a-lelvel bio! I would have thought it is because at stage 4- the last stage- there is only one cell division as there is only one cell present. This means it is the quickest because their aren't other cells that need to divide :smile: That is what I would write anyway, I don't know for certain that it's correct!
the table shows how many cells are currently in each phase. so there are nine cells currently in stage 1, and one cell in stage 4. if a stage lasts for a longer time, you would expect more cells to be undergoing it at any given moment.

as an analogy if this doesnt make sense, if you have a race with two stages -- running which lasts for an hour, and swimming which lasts for a minute -- you would expect more people to be running than swimming at any given time.

so to link it back to the question, there is only 1 cell in stage 1 (less than in any other stage), which using the same logic, means it would be the shortest stage.

idk if that helps at all but there you go
Reply 3
Original post by potatoes25
the table shows how many cells are currently in each phase. so there are nine cells currently in stage 1, and one cell in stage 4. if a stage lasts for a longer time, you would expect more cells to be undergoing it at any given moment.

as an analogy if this doesnt make sense, if you have a race with two stages -- running which lasts for an hour, and swimming which lasts for a minute -- you would expect more people to be running than swimming at any given time.

so to link it back to the question, there is only 1 cell in stage 1 (less than in any other stage), which using the same logic, means it would be the shortest stage.

idk if that helps at all but there you go

Thank you so much!! That was really useful I really appreciate it!
Reply 4
Original post by mai5i3llen
Hey, the question is confusing and i'm doing a-lelvel bio! I would have thought it is because at stage 4- the last stage- there is only one cell division as there is only one cell present. This means it is the quickest because their aren't other cells that need to divide :smile: That is what I would write anyway, I don't know for certain that it's correct!

Thank you so so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending