The Student Room Group

Can you do a degree in neuroscience with psychology as your only science alevel??

I am in my first year of sixth form and am doing psychology, sociology and dance. All or not most of the universities i’ve been looking at require at least biology or chemistry alevel to do neuroscience as a degree. I was wondering if maybe there are any uni’s out there that i can get into with the alevels i’m doing
You most likely would not be able to enter into such a degree with direct entry. However, there will be many options where you could do the degree with a foundation year - in which case you'll cover the relevant scientific content in the foundation year, before progressing into the main degree.

You may want to look into such options at e.g. Southampton, Manchester, Birmingham etc, among many others.
Original post by Kyungyoo
I am in my first year of sixth form and am doing psychology, sociology and dance. All or not most of the universities i’ve been looking at require at least biology or chemistry alevel to do neuroscience as a degree. I was wondering if maybe there are any uni’s out there that i can get into with the alevels i’m doing

may be that you could do a joint honours of psychology with neuroscience - I think unis such as nottingham offer this ( https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Psychology-and-Cognitive-Neuroscience-BSc#requirements ) so whilst its not straight neuroscience it has that element in it
It isnt just 'do I need...' - its that Neuro is a hefty science degree, and without any pure science in your A levels a) that is a huge climb and b) do you have any science appitude - ie. why didnt you take Bio or Chem at A level?

Even 'lower' Unis will want at least one science. So if you are determined to do this, look at one of the Foundation degrees for those with the 'wrong' A levels - example, Southampton https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/foundation-years/science.page
For the University of Birmingham we usually would be looking for AAA including Biology / Human Biology.

For Foundation programmes:
- 70% overall & pass all modules
- Foundation programme must contain Biology Admissions Tutor to decide whether enough Biology has been covered

standard GCSE requirements also apply

We also consider some BTECS and Access to science qualifications but again we would require Biology and in some instances another core science.

Our Psychology courses have some pathways that do not require a science

Quick Reply

Latest