The Student Room Group

Do empathic people not like people with autism in general?

Have you ever known someone who's empathic that don't like them?
Why are you obsessed with autistic people and do you even know what empathy is?
Original post by hungrysalamander
Why are you obsessed with autistic people and do you even know what empathy is?

I have it myself and yeah it means putting yourself in other people's shoes.
Original post by Feverbeaver180
I have it myself and yeah it means putting yourself in other people's shoes.

So if someone capable of putting themselves in other people’s shoes then why would there be an exception for autistic people?
Original post by hungrysalamander
So if someone capable of putting themselves in other people’s shoes then why would there be an exception for autistic people?

Idk man. I've seen some people on here or "online" who I suspect are highly empathic yet find our behavior to be weird or abnormal so they mock us for it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Idk man. I've seen some people on here or "online" who I suspect are highly empathic yet find our behavior to be weird or abnormal so they mock us for it.

There are some people who would mock anyone who is not like them.

Such people are unimportant in my eyes

Any specific examples of users here that fit your category?
I would like to consider myself somewhat empathetic but I struggle with the hyperactive autistic people for long periods. I do dnd and one of the players is autistic. Really nice guy but mentally draining after 4 or 5 hours of constant conversation when it not their turn.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Guru Jason
I would like to consider myself somewhat empathetic but I struggle with the hyperactive autistic people for long periods. I do dnd and one of the players is autistic. Really nice guy but mentally draining after 4 or 5 hours of constant conversation when it not their turn.

I'm talking about people who are very empathetic like the people who are very sensitive and absorb people like sponges.
I'm talking about people who are very empathetic like the people who are very sensitive and absorb people like sponges.

You keep using the word empathetic but I'm starting to think you don't really know what it means.

I wouldn’t say ‘absorbing’ people is empathy. I don’t think the shoe analogy fits because it gives the idea that you are taking over they’re thoughts and feelings.

Empathy is understanding their thoughts and feelings accepting them as real and important and then being their support and an ear without overtaking or assuming what they are feeling. There’s a much bigger definition in my eyes but my thumbs are tired :lol:

No, empathic people don't "not like people with autism in general." For the normal definition of being empathic, someone who is empathic will be less likely to randomly dislike someone based purely on a medical condition, not more.
Original post by _Rusty_
I wouldn’t say ‘absorbing’ people is empathy. I don’t think the shoe analogy fits because it gives the idea that you are taking over they’re thoughts and feelings.

Empathy is understanding their thoughts and feelings accepting them as real and important and then being their support and an ear without overtaking or assuming what they are feeling. There’s a much bigger definition in my eyes but my thumbs are tired :lol:

tbf I do think lots of people's understanding of the term empathy also includes actually feeling the emotions of others in addition to being to understand the feelings thoughts and perspective others. i.e. cognitive vs emotional/affective empathy. So, in a effect, empathetic people(which to varying degrees includes most of us, incl autistic people) "absorb" other people's feelings.
Original post by Obolinda
tbf I do think lots of people's understanding of the term empathy also includes actually feeling the emotions of others in addition to being to understand the feelings thoughts and perspective others. i.e. cognitive vs emotional/affective empathy. So, in a effect, empathetic people(which to varying degrees includes most of us, incl autistic people) "absorb" other people's feelings.

Sorry my point is that although you may feel (which tbh is a really good thing imo) it is quite a fine line between that and absorbing. I think of absorbing as almost taking over and taking it all on which is not what I think of as empathy. Really that’s besides the point, I don’t want to get hung up over individual words. In regard to OP there is no reason why empathetic people (which as we have seen is hard to define and therefore put a category around) wouldn’t like people with autism or any group for that matter
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending